Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

For the foilers

yukon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehardskier

• goochy

• Pistol Pete

• YJim

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I emailed Lonnie back to thank him for sending out the replacement part so quickly, I hyper-linked him the 'crew and this particular thread. It'd be great if he got on and said hi.

Lonnie is a Malibu guy too. He's got a old Skier like the one I had, and Bob "Grumpy" McDonner is a friend of his that has a response & is a big time foiler also. Maybe they'll get on here and chime in. I'll email a link of this thread to Grumpy also.

Heres some pics of the weekend.... I was higher on my OLD foil Mad.gif ... so I hope I get use to the B39 soon ..... last year pics were HIGHER !! I ride at 37.5 foil length , front bat wing foward, rear bat wing stock , on a 2005 ST pro shock tower , at 24 MPH. any tips to getting higher. I guess I'm not use to the longer foil. Maybe I'll get better later this year...........

http://vgallery.slavick.com/Default.aspx?p=Gooch/2006/7-23/

Edited by goochy

Goochy,

It was cool to see you out there riding Sunday, you looked pretty high to me. My crew was especially impressed since all they ever see is me doing little bunny hops out in the flats. Kinda inspired me to try some new stuff next time I'm out.

Daniel

Biggrin.gif Daniel , Thanks alot , I should not look at last year pics, I was higher, but now my foil is a foot or so longer ! We are out every Sat , and Sundays after church. Call me and we will meet in the middle on weekend soon ! There are ALOT of foilers at the Scruggs bridge side ... we had like 6 last Sunday ! Surprised.gif It was good to see ya, All the Malibus on the water looked good.
Lonnie is a Malibu guy too. He's got a old Skier like the one I had, and Bob "Grumpy" McDonner is a friend of his that has a response & is a big time foiler also. Maybe they'll get on here and chime in. I'll email a link of this thread to Grumpy also.

When I hyper-linked Lonnie to this thread, I mentioned you to him by screen name and first and last name. I haven't heard back from him since.

I haven't talked to Lonnie in a while, but I did get an email from Grumpy. I think he registered yesterday as I was logged into the chat, but was out of the office I see where "Grumpy" logged in and out. So if it was him we can add one more foiler to "the crew".

I have been riding for years, had the original Airchair, the first they ever made. Mike Murphy was in town and got to see him ride. He got in my boat and I gave him a pull and got some pointers from him. How fast to go,how long of a rope to use ,what kind of rope (low stretch) didn't know at the time and was using a ski rope which was like riding on a rubber band.

Now I have an AirChair Stealth model. I bought it as soon as it came out because I wanted the top of the line foil. Now after reading this it sounds like the "Stealth" is out dated to say the least.

Got some questions. DieHardSkier you have a Ski Sky LE38 is that the same as a LEX? Have you got a chance to ride or see the Airchair V38? Did I understand right that you said the B39's foil was a foot longer than the older model? What is the difference in the older foils and the new "billeted foils"?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to catch up on the latest technology and I seem to have fallen behind.

I would like to come to your "False River Fly In". I live in Monroe LA and I'm guessing your about an hour and a half away. Your about 30 minutes south of Vicksburg right? Me and a friend are heavy duty Foilers and would like to get together with some other people who like to ride.

I would like to try riding a higher end foil If you wouldn't mind. Biggrin.gif

The LE 38 is the newest LE out now. It is called the LE 38 because it is just under 38" long. The biggest difference in the older and the newer LE's is the length if the t-bar. The older Sky Ski's had a cast foil. The billet foils are thinner & stronger. The billet foils are machined out if a solid piece of aluminum. Of course thinner means less drag. All of the newer foils like the LE's from Skyski or even the SS Pro models are billet aluminum. The standard sky ski foil is the one they call the 2 piece billet. The fuselage of the t- bar is welded to the strut & thats why they call it the 2 piece. The B-39 is made the same way, but has some different dimensions. It is longer... can be as much as 39". You can also set it up shorter depending on which seat tower you use. If you use a shock tower I think you have to use it in the longest setting. The LE 38 t-bar is made from 7071 aluminum and is machined from 1 solid piece (not welded).

You are more than welcome to try my ski. I live in Port Gibson which is 25 miles South of Vicksburg on HWY 61. Most of my skiing takes place in Vicksburg or Jackson though. I usually like to go to Eagle Lake in Northern Warren Co just above Vicksburg. Maybe we could get together over at Lake Bruin or somewhere in between Vicksburg & Monroe before the flyin. I was passing through Monroe yesterday & noticed that it's only about an hour from Vicksburg. Just let me know.

The False River Fly In will be a lot of fun, hope you can make it there. You would be able to try out alot of different foils if you want also. There will be a lot of top end riders there. Keep in touch. My email is [email protected] and my cell number is 601-218-1574.

Surprised.gif we cut my B 39 so you can ONLY ride at 36.5 or 37 .. the 39 in was cut off, to fit my shock tower The Billet foils are so much faster and quicker , lighter than the cast foils. I came off a AC stealth and I LOVE the 2 pc billet ST pro. then I rode the B 39 with full bat wings , WOW , it was a sweet ride , so now I own a 2 pc B39 with full bat wings anodized red. I love the LE 38 but, do not have $5000.00 for a new ski. I bought my foil used saved alot of cash. If you love to foil, and you ride a billet foil... you will buy a NEW foil. Edited by goochy

Been riding foils since the early 90s, started with the AC, and have had 4 or 5 different Sky Skis since. I'm currently on the B39 with the Shock Tower & Razorback flat front wing. It's quick, recovers quick & allows huge inverts & combos. This is by far the heaviest ski (and strongest) I've ever been on and at 40 yrs old I'm going bigger & landing smoother than I ever have.

No bones about it, billet is the way to go. If you are young &/or don't have any back problems, go lightweight with a fixed seat tower (AC or SS rock tower or Softail).

A friend of mine is selling his AC V38 after stepping up to the SS LE38.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Air-Chair-V-38-Hydro-F...eNameZWDVWQQrdZ

Lots of foil rider info on the Hydrofoil Yahoogroup at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hydrofoil

Been riding foils since the early 90s, started with the AC, and have had 4 or 5 different Sky Skis since. I'm currently on the B39 with the Shock Tower & Razorback flat front wing. It's quick, recovers quick & allows huge inverts & combos. This is by far the heaviest ski (and strongest) I've ever been on and at 40 yrs old I'm going bigger & landing smoother than I ever have.

No bones about it, billet is the way to go. If you are young &/or don't have any back problems, go lightweight with a fixed seat tower (AC or SS rock tower or Softail).

A friend of mine is selling his AC V38 after stepping up to the SS LE38.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Air-Chair-V-38-Hydro-F...eNameZWDVWQQrdZ

Lots of foil rider info on the Hydrofoil Yahoogroup at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hydrofoil

Have you ever rode the AC V38 how does it compare to the SS LE38.

Have you ever rode the AC V38 how does it compare to the SS LE38.

The V38 I rode had great pop & rode fine as long as you kept the board about 6" - 12" off the water. As soon as that thick part of the t-bar got in the water, it would suck you down & hold you there. The early LE38s had a similar issue, although not nearly as bad. And SS is tuning the problem out of their LE38s anyway.

The seat on the V38 is a whole other problem for me. It sits too far back to maintain a good balance & gives no relief to my back on the landings. I wouldn't be able to ride it over a long weekend & then get my sore butt up on Monday morning.

The B39 is really the equivelant foil to the V38 as far as price & performance anyway. And it doesn't have the thick top of the t-bar at all.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Hey Marc, I tried to call you when I passed thru Monroe on Saturday. Send me your numbers again so we can get together and ride. I sat at the house all day on Sunday cause I couldn't find somebody to ski. Everybody was busy doing other things. I am planning on going next Sunday somewhere. We might could meet up and get some skiing in. I'll even put a fresh polish job on the LE 38.

George

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Marc, I tried to call you when I passed thru Monroe on Saturday. Send me your numbers again so we can get together and ride. I sat at the house all day on Sunday cause I couldn't find somebody to ski. Everybody was busy doing other things. I am planning on going next Sunday somewhere. We might could meet up and get some skiing in. I'll even put a fresh polish job on the LE 38.

George

Hey George I didnt read this until sunday night. It rained all day here so we didn't miss out. I will even let you ride my dinosaur(Stealth Airchair). Biggrin.gif

My home number is 318-343-8250 cell is 318-614-3220. I don't have a mailbox on my cell phone so call my home phone and leave a message. I work late during the week usually till 830 or 900.

skisky3 here

would like to add le or le38 ride like no other ! grumpy named mine black beauty it is andonized black cheery we think it is one of a kind . it is the last le sky ski made , before starting the le38 . if you can find a used le your riding will progress much faster do to the fact , of much - less swing weight if you are inverted , if not much stronger & less drag then any other. at fla. fly-in the airchair38 was there , the comfort & quality are in my opion are still behind sky ski . the b-39 rides & skid's awsome but has alot more swing weight ! the same with the 2 - piece . owned both, was luckie to be able to purchase the le ! check with lonnie or tim cameran at east coast hyd. would love to meet up with pickwick group to foil , live in north west tn.

fly-inverted Yahoo.gif

I 'm always at PICKWICK , we run the Tombigbee Waterway . Still trying to learn how to ride better , got a used B 39 this summer, and still learning...... I can do dismount flips but no rope in hand .... 901 - 606- 8197 call me , I'm always there on weekends ...

Went over to Monroe on Sunday the 3rd and had a big time skiing with the "Old Guy" . He dang sure don't ride like an old guy :) I'll have some video soon.

• 4 weeks later...
Here is a link to some foiling video with Marc "OldGuy" Williams

http://ghudson.com/mwilliamsweb.wmv

Hey...thanks for posting the video. That was fun to watch and cheering at the laptop when he hit the front roll. Wheu, someday for me. :)

I just picked up a used SS LEX with polished foil. Yahoo.gif WOW...what a step change from the cast foil I've been riding for about 5 1/2 years. Kinda like getting the VLX Biggrin.gif

I've thrown about 30 dismount gainers and landed one clean. An that was the fourth. But I'm still charged to get out and try again...every chance I get. This is me now, I'll attach my first gainer ASAP :lol:

Dave

post-866-1159919867_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
Dave, do you ride in the ocean? Where is the shore?...

no wonder you are into foiling, the conditions must really suck there most of the time ;)

Wheu...sorry for the very delayed reply. I live in Rochester NY and keep the boat on Irondequit Bay. No I don't use the boat in saltwater (luckily I think) But we like to ride on Lake Ontario when the wind in out of the south. We stick close to the 'shore' line (not the sea shore) where it's nice and calm. Contact me if you're ever in my area, I'd be happy to hit the water.

Dave