Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help my Sister find a boat

braindamage

I posted a while back about my sister buying a boat. I've been around and around with she and her husband looking at a variety of boats.  They like sandbar hangin' and they have 4 kids grades 4-11 who like wakeboarding and tubing.

long story short they have dialed into a boat (brand: session) that I've never heard of:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/2006-Session-22Xi-Wakeboard-Boat-LOW-HOURS-NO-RESERVE-/141960798233?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

apparently they were built for a few years by regal then sold to a private owner who had it for 2 yrs before going out of business.

anyone have any opinions or experience with these?

My 1st concern would be if out of business, who's knowledgeable & willing to service my new discontinued boat. 2nd concern - where are you going to get parts? Boats are a lot of work & money - why make it more difficult when there are lots of other good options?

Just now, Rednucleus said:

My 1st concern would be if out of business, who's knowledgeable & willing to service my new discontinued boat. 2nd concern - where are you going to get parts? Boats are a lot of work & money - why make it more difficult when there are lots of other good options?

it's a 10 year old boat. If it was a Malibu you couldn't get any boat specific parts for it.

if it tests out ok then go for it. Engine, electronics, etc are the same off the shelf stuff everyone else uses.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

I agree with OJ, service shouldn't be too big of a concern because of his points. It has a merc engine which is probably the most common marine engine out there. 

The only concern I would have is how does it perform for the wake boarding the kids want to do. Just because it's a vdrive with a tower and ballast doesn't mean it's any good. Not sure what skill level they are at but having a boat that can perform just as good at a beginner level as a highly advanced level is just as important or more for kids that young. IMO. 

Don't know much about them. Did see a lot of Regel's in this area. I don't think I ever have seen a V drive. But I am leaning the same as OJ. the parts are the same as many other boats out on the water. Fiberglass can be repaired so the things that may be worth a look might be something like windshield. Is it a Taylor or other big brand?  Doesn't sound like any one is a big time boarder so will they know good or bad! Hat to say that but it is what it is. I don't follow boat pricing so don't know how it compares to the big names.  

Thanks for the input. This is making me feel a bit more comfortable. 

They are novice wakeboarders now, but when I come to visit In the summer they get a lot more into it and quickly improve. Last summer the older kids went from barely getting up to jumping across the wake in less than 2 weeks.  They were using a late 80's I/o (my old boat from many yrs ago) so anything is a step up.

the price is what is driving their interest. Their budget is "max" $25k and it's really difficult to find a Malibu vdrive in that range. I have been pushing them to 2002-2004 malibus that I think would be a better choice, but they are convinced that newer is better.  

i tried a couple of Moomba boats that were in their range but they don't like the look...too "gaudy".

I'm glad they moved away from looking at deck boats. That would've been almost as expensive and not what they want

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/5548281990.html

I vote that they look at this one, assuming they like the looks of it. It's hard to buy a nice v-drive newer than the 02-04 generation for 25k. Cheap, good quality, or newer. Pick any 2.

http://skipperbuds.com/Page.aspx/diid/8838351/list/InventoryList/pageId/9033/view/Details/2005-Centurion-ELITEV.aspx

This one is ugly imo but it's an 05. I'd urge your sister to keep the skipper bud's repo website in mind. These boats are usually sold at a nice discount from their value due to the fact that lenders hire skipper bud's to liquidate their assets asap.

http://skipperbuds.com/Page.aspx/diid/9400223/list/InventoryList/pageId/9033/view/Details/2003-Malibu-21WAKESETTERVLX.aspx

I like this one.

Edited by jaciche

Axis is sold (not surprisingly). I think the Malibu 2010 is a scam.

i forwarded the others but haven't had a chance to talk with them today to see what they think.

thanks to all for your help!!

Good luck! I bought my 05 for just under 26k and its in great shape with high hours. There were half a dozen that sold for under 25k over the winter. If they wait until fall they can probably grab one. Fair weather boat buying comes at a premium.

I would also get an M boat or a Nautique. Have them check out how many people are on here with 93+ boats in fantastic shape (the all fiberglass and no wood models). These are 10 year investments. We had 5 teenagers on a 95 Echelon for over a decade and it was bulletproof.

Edit: if you need to check out a Michigan boat I am on the west side but I will be on the east side in the next week or two and will happily take a look/water test for them. That red LSV in Michigan is a forum member, cant remember the name though. Also keep in mind the LSV had the V25 hull a year earlier than the VLX (LSV started in 04)

Edited by 95echelon

Their budget is "max" $25k and it's really difficult to find a Malibu vdrive in that range. 

FWIW - they're out there.  Our 04' LSV complete loaded with 280 hours was $24k.

How far are they willing to travel to get a boat?

Edited by sidekicknicholas

The OP profile says Wisconsin, thats not to far to drive to Indy or Cinci. I drove from NW Ohio to Minneapolis to pick up my Sunscape. I was door to door in 32 hours which included an in the water test run and lunch on Lake Minnetonka. 

Is the Indiana boat a member? So far that's my favorite 

My sister lives in The northern part of the lower peninsula of Michigan. I think they would like to not have to travel far, but Muncie and cincy are probably in the range.

I drove 12+hrs each way for my 'bu over a short weekend with my middle son. Drive There, test drive, rewinterize, drive back. It was an adventure. 

For their budget, plenty can be found. Newer is not always better. Although Regal may be a good brand, their foot in the v drive market may not have been a good one, or maybe it was. Id say they should look at fit, finish, quality of the build, any wood in the boat, how does it drive and what are the wakes like. It may drive like tank with moderate wakes, or it may drive/perform really good. Ergonomics as well should be looked at. 

1 hour ago, williemon said:

For their budget, plenty can be found. Newer is not always better. Although Regal may be a good brand, their foot in the v drive market may not have been a good one, or maybe it was. Id say they should look at fit, finish, quality of the build, any wood in the boat, how does it drive and what are the wakes like. It may drive like tank with moderate wakes, or it may drive/perform really good. Ergonomics as well should be looked at. 

They were kind of all over the map, looking at different boat types (i/o, deck, ski, tritoons), lengths (17-25ft) and options (portapotty, sinks, towers, stereos). And different brands in each combination. They were getting overwhelmed because they were talking with a bunch of dealers that were more interested in making a sale than selling the right boat.  I spent some time talking about what they really want and what they really want to spend and put together a spreadsheet with the options and highlighted the important things. 

We dialed into a 20-22' I/o or v drive with a tower and open seating configuration.  After looking at both they are settling in on a v-drive.

its now about new vs price.

My brother has a 95' Supersport Natuqiue he is going to sell this spring (Central Wisconsin location) ... tower (could use replacing), ballast, stereo, etc etc .... smaller 21' boat but functionally it would serve them well.  I think he is looking to get like $13.5k for it.

side profile.jpg

• Like 2

@Braindamage:  good start by creating a spreadsheet on options.  I would suggest that another check or test would be the following:  when they narrow it down to a few options, particularly if an off brand vessel is on the list, randomly pick a few parts that might need to be replaced (boat specific like dash panel, glove box, etc.) and have them go find them, might refocus them on the more popular brands.  I would also add the closest dealer on the spreadsheet and indicate how far away and from your comment being in (Northern) Michigan, plenty of options should pop up either there or within the state.  I assume they know that Action Water Sports has (3) locations in Michigan, one being in Traverse City although they do carry brand M, at least it is one of the major (ski/boarding) brands and to be honest, they seem to be a very switched on dealership at present.