Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Tire Recommendation?

Brent Wall

45 minutes ago, rakr said:

I just picked up my 2013 VTX this weekend and had catestrophic blowout in the first 1.5 hours on the road. 

From what @River Monsters numbers were on another post it would seam that the load range D tires on the single axle itrailer would be a bit under rated. The blow out tore up the fender pretty bad, and my wife was super happy sitting on the side of the road with a 2 and 3 year old for 3 hours while we Tractor Supply saved the day... because there wasn’t a spare on the trailer, which there is now. 

Does anyone know what tires are recommended or come with the eagle single axle trailer? With respect to “load range”. I didn’t see it in the manual. 

Wheels are rated for 2800+ lbs, tires on there are 225 75 R15 D/8 Ply  

Goodyear has some that seem pretty good “E” tire that I may put on there. I don’t want that to happen again.  

Thanks crew. 

A30ED616-DBC7-4303-838B-4DBAF7C7732A.jpeg

What was the date code on that tire?

37 minutes ago, rakr said:

@MadMan, I can’t seem to find a date code on the tire... odd. 

12 minutes ago, OLDGUY said:

I checked the 4 tires on my trailer, only one had a date code. 

Date codes are typically only on one of the sidewalls of a tire.

@rakrI just put these on my trailer. Mine are a different size and they are overkill for my application but they did very well on a 1200 mile trip a couple weeks ago and it well over 100* the whole way.

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/goodyear-endurance/p/32624 Those are your size and 2833lbs/ea.

Edited by twitchee2

E rated will make that trailer ride rough as hell.  I have seen them in action with a 2011 23 LSV.  Weight on a D is 1610 and with 4 of them you are right at 6500 lbs.

I had really good luck with Maxxis Trailer tire which you can get from Discount Tire.

7 minutes ago, Murphy8166 said:

E rated will make that trailer ride rough as hell.  I have seen them in action with a 2011 23 LSV.  Weight on a D is 1610 and with 4 of them you are right at 6500 lbs.

I had really good luck with Maxxis Trailer tire which you can get from Discount Tire.

Meh, i ran e rated on my 3500lb bayliner.  The tires are not supposed to be the suspension. Besides a 23 lsv on a tandem  trailer is over 6500

Edited by oldjeep

One thing to consider - I wish I would have installed some TPMS sensors in the tires for those occasional long hauls. Cheap piece of mind. 

2 minutes ago, Deeadza said:

One thing to consider - I wish I would have installed some TPMS sensors in the tires for those occasional long hauls. Cheap piece of mind. 

too many aftermarket options that screw on to valve stems with in cab monitoring - much easier than in tire TPMS!

On 4/18/2016 at 8:24 PM, Brent Wall said:

My 2013 Boatmate tandem axle trailer came with the standard Trail America ST205/75R14 tires.  However, I am not pleased with them.  I had to replace one after the first year because the tread was separating and I now I have another that needs to be replaced.  I presume this is why Trail America tires are no longer on the market and Boatmate has changed their standard tire to another brand (Grand Ride).

I usually take 6 or 8 long trips with the boat during the season.  I don't want to personally experience any of the horrific stories that numerous other crew members have posted so I am inclined to replace them all.  Of course, the first place I looked for buying advise was TMC.  However, I'm finding it difficult to draw any reasonable conclusion from the posts here because it seems that for every recommendation there are an equal number of posts about failures.

Am I missing something here or is there a de-facto leader or two that I'm just missing?

Had those Trail America Tires on my 11VLX, the were horse crap and my experience was same as yours.  Put Maxxis on it and never looked back.

Here are two Maxxis options below:

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-122-129-st-radial-m8008

TL12460000    205/75R14   6 ply  Max PSI50  Max Load 1760

TL12460100    205/75R14   8 ply  Max PSI65  Max Load 2040

8 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Single. 3500 including trailer

Yeah that makes sense.  Another forum member has a 2011 23LSV on a 4 tire Boatmate and even loaded down with all the family gear and fuel, he always felt like the ride from the Kumho's 8 ply D's was really stiff.  That's me experience with them!!

1 hour ago, twitchee2 said:

@rakrI just put these on my trailer. Mine are a different size and they are overkill for my application but they did very well on a 1200 mile trip a couple weeks ago and it well over 100* the whole way.

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/goodyear-endurance/p/32624 Those are your size and 2833lbs/ea.

Those are the exact tires I ordered. One should be done tomorrow and I’ll swap the spare out to do the other one soon. 

1200 miles... that must have been some destination! 

1 hour ago, Murphy8166 said:

too many aftermarket options that screw on to valve stems with in cab monitoring - much easier than in tire TPMS!

Any recommendations since I'm looking right now.