Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to fix Depth finder beep

jmiller2496

Hey Chris!!!  Thanks for being the guinea pig for those of us with that particular depth finder, module, etc.  I am sure you were extremely relieved when you finally put the boat in the water and saw it worked.   You may have just pushed me over the edge to do mine as well.  GLAD IT WORKED OUT!!!!  Guess I should get on this before they stop making the transducer.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 9:50 AM, minnmarker said:

So why didn't they just make a adapter harness?  Maybe they think there will only be few sold.

The answer to this is that in the new transducer wiring harness, the positive and negative (red / black) wires you need are located in the same pin. Not possible to make an adapter since you will always need to cut and separate those wires.

Splicing the wires wasn't hard at all. Just a little solder. Glueing the new transducer down was aggravating because of the limited area to work in.

I gave up trying to remove wire from the old transducer, its ziptied in to the wire bundle running through the boat and was impossible to get to. I ran the new wire as high as I could under the gunnel on the driver side to the helm. Was not a whole lot of extra in it going that way but I did have plenty to route it neatly.

Thanks for posting your results Chris.  I thought about going down this path a couple of times but couldn't bring myself to make the purchase without someone else proving it works.  This is now my spring project... I hope it is my only spring project.

10 hours ago, chris4x4gill2 said:

Splicing the wires wasn't hard at all. Just a little solder. Glueing the new transducer down was aggravating because of the limited area to work in.

I gave up trying to remove wire from the old transducer, its ziptied in to the wire bundle running through the boat and was impossible to get to. I ran the new wire as high as I could under the gunnel on the driver side to the helm. Was not a whole lot of extra in it going that way but I did have plenty to route it neatly.

Dumb question.....why did you decide to splice at the module end of the wiring?  If I am understanding you correctly that's where you made your splice.  Do the directions suggest this?  I'm assuming you did it because you didn't want to risk water getting into the connection if you made it in the bilge area?  Just curious.  Whenever Bakes first mentioned having to splice when I called them, I just figured I would splice close to the old transducer to save having to rerun a new wire all the way to the helm.  I figure with solder, heat shrink and liquid electrical tape you would be ok doing it in the bilge area.  Just asking....   Thanks again for being the Guinea pig.  You've given a lot of us courage to fix this issue!!!!!!!

• 1 year later...

Hi Chris, thanks for posting what you found and your process. Just wanted to ask if your transducer is still working alright and if you had to calibrate it?

I'll be so happy to get this fixed in my boat and keep the dash looking stock. Thanks, Dave

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:46 AM, SURFRAY said:

Hi Chris, thanks for posting what you found and your process. Just wanted to ask if your transducer is still working alright and if you had to calibrate it?

I'll be so happy to get this fixed in my boat and keep the dash looking stock. Thanks, Dave

Still works fine. It was accurate enough out of the box that I never felt the need to calibrate it. I am not sure it is possible to calibrate actually, I don't remember an offset in the menu on the dash.

On 6/12/2017 at 10:05 AM, chris4x4gill2 said:

Still works fine. It was accurate enough out of the box that I never felt the need to calibrate it. I am not sure it is possible to calibrate actually, I don't remember an offset in the menu on the dash.

+2, mine still works fine as well.  I also did a write u on this using alternative an alternative transducer that was quite a bit cheaer than the bakes unit.

Here is the link with all the info you need.

Edited by NCVride
  • Like 1
  • 3 years later...

I have had the same problem but haven't been able to resolve it. I am looking at the LSM-3 Depth Module. I think that is the one under the dash. I have replaced the sending unit with both types. Yes the last one was the one Lowrance suggested with the splice thing. For me it didn't work. My last hope is the depth module under the dash. I have lived with a beeping dash I have to acknowledge on a regular basis since I boat my Response LXI 2006 back in 2006. 

Any suggestions I am wide open to them! LOL

2 hours ago, Gvautour said:

I have had the same problem but haven't been able to resolve it. I am looking at the LSM-3 Depth Module. I think that is the one under the dash. I have replaced the sending unit with both types. Yes the last one was the one Lowrance suggested with the splice thing. For me it didn't work. My last hope is the depth module under the dash. I have lived with a beeping dash I have to acknowledge on a regular basis since I boat my Response LXI 2006 back in 2006. 

Any suggestions I am wide open to them! LOL

Does the display keep changing, like someone is constantly pressing the mode button?