Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat wipe down product that is economical and effective - Driven to Performance

So far I've been spoiling my response with Babes Boat Spray.  I am game to try the turtle wax.  However I can't say enough about babes vinyl cleaner. It's amazing on vinyl and leather.  We bought a used minivan and it worked wonders for us.

On April 1, 2016 at 8:17 PM, wedge88 said:

My family has owned a LOT of boats and we have always used white vinegar mix with water when on lakes for extended vacations or high lime buildup.  It works great.  We hand wax the boat/trailer at the start of the season and periodically use Babe's just to shine it up 2-3 times a summer.  My last boat was 11 years old and still looked brand new when we sold it.  I know others have luck with other products so not trying to sway, just posting what has always worked for us.

We spray down with 50/50 vinegar and water each time we pull off. One of the guys I ski with has an '02 that looks brand new and it's the same routine, which is why I adopted it. 

I ended up going with 2 gallons of Zip Mist with the legendary Shawndoggy endorsement, looking forward to giving it a good workout this summer!  Will be a good comparison between driven and speed gloss.

i have been approached at my ramp so many times by people asking what we are wiping down with that I actually called the zip mist people and asked for samples.  They said "nah, we don't do that, but thanks for recommending us."  LOL, whatevs.

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

i have been approached at my ramp so many times by people asking what we are wiping down with that I actually called the zip mist people and asked for samples.  They said "nah, we don't do that, but thanks for recommending us."  LOL, whatevs.

I love this story... I have an image in my brain of SD meticulously wiping down his shiny boat with the blue sauce and a cloth diaper while handing out the occasional 3 oz. sample bottle to the gawking SeaRay and Bayliner owners who's boats are hammered with hard water sports.  Like a dentist giving away free toothpaste to meth heads with rotting teath.  LOL.  

I can't believe they turned you down as a field rep for the company... #missedopportunity

toothpaste-samples2.jpg

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 3

Actually it could be a toofer with a dentist.  Most of the boaters at my ramp actually are past, current, or future meth-heads and teef are definitely optional.  We could git 'em toofpaste and water spot remover.

On 4/1/2016 at 1:03 PM, Josh4mc said:

I've been using Turtle Wax's Wax n Dry for a few years. Pull boat, spray with water, spray wax and wipe down. No water spots even on the black gelcoat for $4 a bottle.

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-9-1-Step-Dry/dp/B0007TV6M0

So I just got my boat a few days ago but picked this up b/c it was local and easy.  I must say it did a great job.  No streaks, no spots, nice shine and ok smell.  It actually just smells like suntan lotion / car wax.  Did what I wanted, but when a boat is brand new, I'm sure a microfiber cloth would have done similar.  Only time will tell.

For those of you that are doing the usual white vinegar, distilled water mix try once to change it to include a spray wax at a 25% vinegar, 25% spray wax, 50% distilled water ratio.  What I've found is that the addition of the spray wax offsets the fact that the vinegar strips wax.  As good as the regular 50/50 mix works the addition of the spray wax works very noticeably better.

Mike

Edited by mlange