Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Indmar Raptor\Monsoon Engine HP & Torque Ratings with answer from Malibu Factory Rep 

ORMailbuboater

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

You probably have to 2249 prop which is the so called "Torque" prop or "High Altitude" Prop. On my '16 I had the same prop. I went with the standard prop which is the 2277 on my '17 and lowered my RPM's by 500-700 RPM's. I have no problems with the boat pulling with the 2277 and the fuel usage is much better. I do not think this is causing the manifold problem (I am assuming it's the exhaust manifold) but it will make your motor not work near as hard. There are many boats out there like your's running the 2249 prop without the manifold problem, but it will help lower the RPM's and less strain on the motor. IF the manifold is getting damaged, you may have a blockage in the cooling system allowing the manifold to overheat or possibly an alignment problem with the manifold when torqued down at instal. Is it the same side that you have the issue with each time? Steve mentioned a heat shield issue, that could do it as well.

Thanks Ronnie

it has been the same side each time. Again, not a engine expert, but I believe it has been the exhaust manifold. I had a look at the last one they pulled off. Large approx 2 foot long lead cap. 

When the dealer spoke with the manufacturer the third time this happened, it was mentioned that they are realizing there was a bad batch made. So I felt confortable that the issue seemed to be corrected and they made a "New" manifold batch. I'm guessing that was just a pitch. 

It just seems odd. It really is every 35-38hrs this problem ( same problem) is occurring. 

Maybe I'm just the unlucky folk who got the lemon engine  

An Indmar rep is here sometimes and has very been good about answering questions from our Membership. You might try to PM him and ask what is going on and if they are having issues with other boats. His User name is Engine Nut. @Engine Nut You could call Indmar as well. The membership here can throw guesses at it all day. Your Dealer, Malibu and Indmar should be able to narrow this down. Don't give up on them!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Stevo said:

INot sold on that yet but considering,

i believe there is a heat shield problem that caused a code warning to be thrown.

@ConnollyCrew what am I thinking of

Yes, Ford added heat shields to the 6.2 longblock this year before shipping to Indmar for an unknown reason. I would remove them if they are there as they will ground your plugs to the block and throw a misfire code. This does not sound like your issue though. 

I have a friend at my home lake that has had several "exhaust related" issues on her 17' Indmar. She has had a couple O2 sensors replaced, heat shield removed and the cats basically broke into pieces and she had her cats replaced along with manifold. 

Indmar specifically told me to not run at idle speed with the Raptor engine as it causes condensation inside the cast iron manifold. I was told to RUN this engine at 2500-4000 rpm as much as possible to keep the condensation away. They told me to idle as little as possible, when cruising the lake run at 2500 rpm minimum.... do not slowly Motor around as this may contribute to issues..Hope this helps...

2 hours ago, dboyle said:

Thanks Ronnie

it has been the same side each time. Again, not a engine expert, but I believe it has been the exhaust manifold. I had a look at the last one they pulled off. Large approx 2 foot long lead cap. 

When the dealer spoke with the manufacturer the third time this happened, it was mentioned that they are realizing there was a bad batch made. So I felt confortable that the issue seemed to be corrected and they made a "New" manifold batch. I'm guessing that was just a pitch. 

It just seems odd. It really is every 35-38hrs this problem ( same problem) is occurring. 

Maybe I'm just the unlucky folk who got the lemon engine  

Nah, your engine is fine. It's the cast iron manifolds. Run the sh*t out of your boat. Idle as little as possible and when you tool around the lake run at least 2500 rpm, this wil keep condensation from forming inside the cast iron manifold... And should help. BTW, the info I told you came directly to me front Indmar....

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

So out of curiosity. What happens when your manifold cracks? Fluid goes everywhere? What's the engine detect and do in response. 

Not sure. I'm told the crack is allowing water in and the internal sensors get wet. The Cat was another issue, but replaced only once. 

I just return the boat for warranty and wait for its return. 

1 hour ago, ConnollyCrew said:

Indmar specifically told me to not run at idle speed with the Raptor engine as it causes condensation inside the cast iron manifold. I was told to RUN this engine at 2500-4000 rpm as much as possible to keep the condensation away. They told me to idle as little as possible, when cruising the lake run at 2500 rpm minimum.... do not slowly Motor around as this may contribute to issues..Hope this helps...

So what do you do when you're in a 3mph "no wake" zone?

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, IXFE said:

So what do you do when you're in a 3mph "no wake" zone?

The take away was to not ride like your in a no wake zone unless necessary...... Indmar told me this engine is designed to be a "performance engine" that wants to be run hard. The recommendation was to run 2500 rpm minimum as much as possible. 

Edited by ConnollyCrew

Just curious if anybody has had, or heard of problems with the 575. I've heard good things and more often than not that it's not worth the money. It seems like a huge bump in power and torque. My actual cost was around 8500$ over the 450. I would think that's a better upgrade than the G4 tower. Does anyone have any real examples of differences?

11 hours ago, ConnollyCrew said:

Nah, your engine is fine. It's the cast iron manifolds. Run the sh*t out of your boat. Idle as little as possible and when you tool around the lake run at least 2500 rpm, this wil keep condensation from forming inside the cast iron manifold... And should help. BTW, the info I told you came directly to me front Indmar....

^this^

It's also a good idea to give the boat a good WOT run for 10-15 min at the end of the day to help heat up and clean the carbon off of the O2's. After heavy surf sessions it can build up on them.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, SBriscoe said:

Just curious if anybody has had, or heard of problems with the 575. I've heard good things and more often than not that it's not worth the money. It seems like a huge bump in power and torque. My actual cost was around 8500$ over the 450. I would think that's a better upgrade than the G4 tower. Does anyone have any real examples of differences?

If I could get premium fuel on my lake I would have ordered the 575. I have not heard of issues with the engine.

5 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

So you can't go for slow cruises with your family and friends? That's ridiculous.

Good thing Malibu is going back to GM...

It's not the block... it's the Indmar exhaust....aaaand Ford aks me to tell you to SUCK IT.. 🤣

Edited by ConnollyCrew
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Woodski said:

Interesting recommendation when these boats spend 50% of their time at idle.  Lots of ECU data to support RPM histogram.

Exactly, think beginners a s*** ton of driving/idling in circles.... even surfing with good riders, 2-3 min is a VERY long run.  Then idle back....

6 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

^this^

It's also a good idea to give the boat a good WOT run for 10-15 min at the end of the day to help heat up and clean the carbon off of the O2's. After heavy surf sessions it can build up on them.

Having a hard time understanding how the O2 sensors tell the difference between 3500-4000 RPM's, or even 4500 with some props, while surfing and WOT for 15 minutes except that the motor is pushing a little harder at WOT. I would never run my motor at WOT for 5 mins, let alone 15 minutes. YMMV

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Having a hard time understanding how the O2 sensors tell the difference between 3500-4000 RPM's while surfing and WOT for 15 minutes except that the motor is pushing a little harder at WOT. I would never run my motor at WOT for 5 mins, let alone 15 minutes. YMMV

Straight from Indmar via the dealer.

Might try giving them a call.

On 9/19/2017 at 5:36 PM, ConnollyCrew said:

Idle as little as possible and when you tool around the lake run at least 2500 rpm, this wil keep condensation from forming inside the cast iron manifold... And should help. BTW, the info I told you came directly to me front Indmar....

If this is true. I will not be buying a new 2018 Malibu with a Ford Engine!!!:( We do a lot of late night evening cruises. Does anyone else have any information on this?

59 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

If this is true. I will not be buying a new 2018 Malibu with a Ford Engine!!!:( We do a lot of late night evening cruises. Does anyone else have any information on this?

This was NOT an issue on either my 2016 or my 2017... but because I sell my boat every year you probably shouldn't listen to me, my experiences don't count. 

• Like 3