Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 LSV Ballast Upgrade

BoBeLiTe

On March 24, 2016 at 5:39 PM, MLA said:

Nah, not faster and doesnt starve the pump either. Heres the thing.......thru-hull is underwater because its in the bilge of the boat. Boat displaces water because its heavy and the keel is below the water line. This displacement creates water pressure, forcing the water up into the thru-hull. A 1" thru-hull will more than supply 2 reversibles or 2 1200 aerators. 1.25" will handle 3 no problem. 

And so say 2 reversibles in a 1" thru hull also won't have any problems forcing the water back out that when draining?

26 minutes ago, Cayute said:

And so say 2 reversibles in a 1" thru hull also won't have any problems forcing the water back out that when draining?

Wakemakers told me that it can work but your pumps are working against each other... And they aren't as efficient.  He also said he's sees guys doing that setup and telling people it'll work but those same guys don't get back on the forums when their pumps burn up.  It's not that much more to just add one more thru hull.  Plus it just makes me feel better about the setup.

16 hours ago, BoBeLiTe said:

Here's my install plan.

Ballast%20Diagram.png

I did that same setup in my MB, along with a crossover pump between the bags (we were running listed) and it was fantastic.  No leaks, no passive draining or filling, fast fill times (about 10 minutes for an 1100, closer to five if you filled a bag with two pumps)

On 3/26/2016 at 11:52 AM, Cayute said:

Think about, or heck better yet, measure the ID of the sac fitting that the pump is pushing into and drawing out of. 

On 3/26/2016 at 0:22 PM, BoBeLiTe said:

Wakemakers told me that it can work but your pumps are working against each other... And they aren't as efficient.  He also said he's sees guys doing that setup and telling people it'll work but those same guys don't get back on the forums when their pumps burn up.  It's not that much more to just add one more thru hull.  Plus it just makes me feel better about the setup.

Heres a question to ask them. When forcing water into the bottom of an empty sac, whats the "efficiency". Now, whats the "efficiency" drop to once that 1400 lb Enzo gets nearly full. Seem to me that based on their issue with two pumps sharing a thru-hull, they would also have an issue with filling a large sac through the bottom fitting.

Yes, its not that much more, maybe $75 to add that 2nd thru-hull, and some are more than happy to sell you that extra hardware.

Ive been doing ballast for about 10 years. I do about a dozen custom packages a season. Ive had two bad impeller pumps. One came out of the box with a cracked magnet and the second was a transfer pump and wanted to trip the breaker when trying to revers and was only a season old. Id say 75% of my systems have 2-3 pumps sharing a single thru-hull of the proper size and no negative issues at all. No burned pumps, no burned impellers, etc. 

• Like 1

Well apparently they have had some issues with it... I mean only so much water can fit in one 1" hose at a time. 2 pumps also using 1" hoses would be working drawing against each other from that 1" hose.  Maybe if the intake was larger and the hoses from the pumps were smaller they wouldn't have that problem.  I'm no expert and maybe you would never have a problem. Just the route I decided to go. 

• 2 months later...

I finally got everything I needed from wakemakers.  They were great.  Never had a problem with me asking a million questions.  I drilled the thru hulls a few weeks ago but just now getting around to uploading the pictures.  I actually have about 80% of my total setup done but I haven't gotten around to uploading the rest of the pics.   

IMG_3113_1.jpg

IMG_3118_2.jpg

IMG_3121_1.jpg

IMG_3125_2.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

IMG_3127_2.jpg

Also a couple of things I've put on my "to do" list.

1. Reinforce the engine compartment divider walls. (The wakemakers 910# custom bags were the way to go.  They fill the compartment perfectly and leave a little room at the top for a couple of jackets)

2. Upgrade my prop.  (I ran it last weekend and I can plane off but not easily.  Not sure what prop is on it or even what the factory prop size is.  Taking Suggestions on new prop)

3.  Also maybe look into upgrading my Perfect Pass (the prop may help with holding speed better)

Edited by BoBeLiTe
  • 1 month later...