Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower speakers

chaser

26 minutes ago, ID AX said:

IMO, there's no difference between vendors, manufacturers and anyone that has received a "bro" deal from either a vendor or manufacturer.  All are going to push for what they feel is the best product.  

Except for when the average joe buyer has experienced more than one brand and can give an unbiased review, at the end of the day he can buy anything he wants.  Do you really think someone selling a certain brand that had a good experience with a competitor product would come out and say the product is superior or even a better value?

1 minute ago, Fman said:

Except for when the average joe buyer has experienced more than one brand and can give an unbiased review, at the end of the day he can buy anything he wants.  Do you really think someone selling a certain brand that had a good experience with a competitor product would come out and say the product is superior or even a better value?

I completely agree that average Joe can buy anything he wants.  I just feel like anyone who got a "bro" deal is just as biased as a vendor/manufacturer. 

Of course there's bias. Big time bias. Fman is biased. I'm biased. It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise. That comes with Wetsounds and Exile, Ford and Chevy, and forums in general. You have to accept that on forums....all forums. And it's okay as long as the debates don't go personal. Btw, you can always tell who the desperate loser of a debate is, yes, they go personal. Every group or fan boy produces every perceived advantage they can. Some are legit and some are not.

Exile is going to push cosmetics (hard to argue with that), the fact that the product costs a little less and comes with more goodies in the box. Hard to dispute that. Although stating that an 8-inch speaker matches a 10-inch speaker is beyond a stretch. That's just owners goggles talkin'. 

But there is a flipside. People don't get to hear as often about the Wetsounds quality differences inside, like a larger voice coil that handles more power, a more exotic cone material that is far more rigid with less distortion, a true horn flare architecture, an extra safety fork and nylon safety retainer on the swivel collar disconnect, 360 degree contact area on the disconnect, an interior metal reinforcement ring, etc. Quality offsets those extra goodies.

If the two products cost exactly the same, and came equipped with the identical accessories in the box, and everyone could hear both side-by-side in the identical system, just about everyone would buy Wetsounds.

This and a couple of other wake forums have a strong Exile presence. They have managed to benefit from no cost marketing. But by no means is this forum a representation of the marketplace. In the real marketplace you'll find at least 50 Wetsounds dealers for every 1 Exile dealer. And the sales aren't that close.  

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Fman said:

The only issue I have on "opinions" of different stereo components is when vendors who sell or install a certain brand chime in and give there "unbiased" review.  Not really a fair review imho.  I always look for the guy who has no dog in the fight and can buy whatever he chooses to give a review and take that more to heart....just my .02

Ok fair enough. Then next time the sales rep for a manufacturer chimes in to push his own product with his biased opinion, I fully expect you will be the first to jump in and call him out for doing so? This should also include those that receive brand equipment direct from a manufacturer at steep discounts in exchange for internet plugs. Do I need to spell this our for you or can you read between the lines as to which manufacturer is a regular here pushing his product? Biased or unbiased, isn't the most important factor, that the statement be accurate? 

10 hours ago, MLA said:

Ok fair enough. Then next time the sales rep for a manufacturer chimes in to push his own product with his biased opinion, I fully expect you will be the first to jump in and call him out for doing so? This should also include those that receive brand equipment direct from a manufacturer at steep discounts in exchange for internet plugs. Do I need to spell this our for you or can you read between the lines as to which manufacturer is a regular here pushing his product? Biased or unbiased, isn't the most important factor, that the statement be accurate? 

No Mike, you need to spell it out.  David won't do it out of respect, I've been really close but it's honestly wasted time.  People don't care and won't listen because they get bro deals.

"50 Wet Sounds dealers to every 1 Exile dealer". I'd like to say that wet sounds supports their dealers 110%.  They send their dealers business, and don't snipe sales.

15 hours ago, Fman said:

The only issue I have on "opinions" of different stereo components is when vendors who sell or install a certain brand chime in and give there "unbiased" review.  Not really a fair review imho.  I always look for the guy who has no dog in the fight and can buy whatever he chooses to give a review and take that more to heart....just my .02

How do you know whether it's biased or not?  There may be a reason or past history  that certain vendors don't sell certain brands.

The hornets start flying quickly!

On 3/10/2016 at 1:03 PM, David said:

Of course there's bias. Big time bias. Fman is biased. I'm biased. It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise. That comes with Wetsounds and Exile, Ford and Chevy, and forums in general. You have to accept that on forums....all forums. And it's okay as long as the debates don't go personal. Btw, you can always tell who the desperate loser of a debate is, yes, they go personal. Every group or fan boy produces every perceived advantage they can. Some are legit and some are not.

Exile is going to push cosmetics (hard to argue with that), the fact that the product costs a little less and comes with more goodies in the box. Hard to dispute that. Although stating that an 8-inch speaker matches a 10-inch speaker is beyond a stretch. That's just owners goggles talkin'. 

But there is a flipside. People don't get to hear as often about the Wetsounds quality differences inside, like a larger voice coil that handles more power, a more exotic cone material that is far more rigid with less distortion, a true horn flare architecture, an extra safety fork and nylon safety retainer on the swivel collar disconnect, 360 degree contact area on the disconnect, an interior metal reinforcement ring, etc. Quality offsets those extra goodies.

If the two products cost exactly the same, and came equipped with the identical accessories in the box, and everyone could hear both side-by-side in the identical system, just about everyone would buy Wetsounds.

This and a couple of other wake forums have a strong Exile presence. They have managed to benefit from no cost marketing. But by no means is this forum a representation of the marketplace. In the real marketplace you'll find at least 50 Wetsounds dealers for every 1 Exile dealer. And the sales aren't that close.  

If you recall David, I said both products sound great. That is not being biased, if I said Exile was the best system offered today and trumps all others that would be biased.  In my opinion, Exile gives you a better value for a comparable product to Wetsounds.  Having to spend $300 for swivel clamps, $125 for speaker covers per pair starts to add up quickly.  I am a guy who likes to get a good value for what I am writing a check for.  No different than why I keep going back to Malibu for my boats.  This is just my opinion, my dealer is now installing Exile on there custom order boats, they are also getting nothing but positive feedback from customers with Exile systems.  The sales rep at my dealer is running Exile, he loves it.  MB is now fitting there boats with Exile from the factory.  Exile is growing in the industry, not from "bro deals" but people experiencing there products AND great customer service.  Like I already mentioned, I have no dog in this fight, I could have installed any system I wanted to for my last boat, but have zero regrets going with Exile and will be in my next boat as well.

The OP who started this thread wanted different opinions on different options for him.  It is important to educate people on all the options for them from people who have experienced both products.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 1

I know people that think Boss Audio tubes are the best thing ever.  Opinions don't mean anything without credibility.

And for this fight, I DO have experience with both brands..... 

Are you guys still going at this "My brands better then yours" Really  I played that game and it got old, real Old!!  Things get nasty over stereo equipment LOL I Have not been on this stereo forum for awhile and it looks like I haven't missed anything, Still love my Exile system looking forward to another 160 Hr season.. But Come on guys get over it...Oh and I got a chance to hear some WS stuff over the summer Sounded great, Everyone wins...

• Like 3

When you are passionate about a thing, and you know a thing or two about that thing, it is exceptionally hard to remain silent, or even neutral, when you hear someone who is not nearly as passionate about that thing get it all wrong. Even if your system sounds better than anything you have ever heard, you can be completely wrong about what sounds good. There's the rub. Right or wrong, we all have our preferred sound. Then there is brand loyalty to further muddy the waters. Historically, this is when an otherwise amicable society takes up arms and war ensues. Sadly, I will be the first to die because I can't pick a side.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, skyskier said:

When you are passionate about a thing, and you know a thing or two about that thing, it is exceptionally hard to remain silent, or even neutral, when you hear someone who is not nearly as passionate about that thing get it all wrong. Even if your system sounds better than anything you have ever heard, you can be completely wrong about what sounds good. There's the rub. Right or wrong, we all have our preferred sound. Then there is brand loyalty to further muddy the waters. Historically, this is when an otherwise amicable society takes up arms and war ensues. Sadly, I will be the first to die because I can't pick a side.

Ya I get that, I guess I thought most of us would be beyond that by now, If i'm not mistaken this has been going on since 09 or longer... Same old post time after time, But I will say this, In 2010 Exile was a pretty small player now fast forward to 2016 they have really grown into a quality company, And I know for a fact that even with the negative post displayed on this and many forums it has really help promote Exile and WS and other manufacturers, So really a win Win for them and all of us, It pushes these company's to improve customer service and improve all there products across the board, I just will choose to stay away from the character assassination, It's easy to get dragged in, and I will admit to being a part of that which is not who I'am at all! 

Edited by Wakesetter67
  • Like 2

Since the bro deals and fan mail have become a topic ............in the full realm of disclosure  

Some people will say I am insane.     I get the bro deals on Wetsounds from my dealer, got nothing from Exile.        This time after 4 different sets of high end Wetsounds and couple set from NVS and Krpt it was just time to change it up.    No Exile dealer near me, only heard systems with Exile gear at events or riding with buddies out west.      I think if you look at all the speakers on the market in the HLCD arena and then look at the specs and build materials on paper there is no doubt the Wetsounds REV10 (talking single pods here) is king.     

However you add in $$$, features, styling, along with installers/retailers across areas pushing  certain products that starts to fade depending on who you ask.    At the end of the day both of these brands produce a high quality speaker that is competive when stacked right next to the other.      Anyone who says they don't is crazy.    The fact Wetsounds has 40 to 1 retailer ratio really means nothing to me from a quality standpoint........That was actually part of the reason I went Exile.      Everyone has a set of Wetsounds on their tower by me because there are (5) retailers carrying their product.   It's the only local choice you have.   I wanted to be little different.       And since I threw my Exiles up there I have been stopped and asked more times than ever about what's on my tower.   

• Like 3

My Tower speaker story started just like the OP. I needed a set of towers and I went with a set of Exiles SXT65 speakers, because at the time that's all that I could swing. Well, I underpowered them and put them through hell for awhile, turned them up way past their limits, too much, to often and damaged one. Completely my fault, not the product. So I put in a call to Exile and got a guy named Brian. He explained to me in terms I could understand, probably what I did to cause my issue. He offered me a solution at a great price and got me back on the water with a better setup than I had before. Remind you I had no experience with either WS or Exile before I chose which speaker I wanted. I had heard of WS before I bought my exile speakers but for me those weren't the route I went. It made no difference to me on the company that produced the speaker, because for me I knew no difference. I'm extremely happy that I went with exile. I know I can count on Exile as a company, and that they will back their product 100 percent at a cost I can afford. I don't understand why people bash other companies, WS to Exile, ford, Chevy dodge. Unless you're getting paid by these companies to rep their products, what's it matter? I use to have a ford, and I loved it. I drive a dodge now and love it as well. I won't bash Chevy or any other company for that matter, but I will give you an honest opinion of my experience I've had with them. It's all a matter of opinion. So unless you're on their pay roll, compare the two and get the one that suits you best top to bottom.

• Like 3

Thank you all for your opinions and information.  I finally found a dealer that carries wet sounds and has display models to listen to.  They also work with Exile and said they have no issue ordering their product or installing.  So next week and can end this saga, or the saga as it pertain to my speaker quest. The debate I am sure will still continue.   Thanks again

• Like 1

Chaser - good luck on your purchase. Like bcf's comments above, there's a lot to be said for a company that stands behind their products like Exile - and you just don't see that so much anymore in any business. I have purchased Exile products (in-boat, tower, and amps) multiple times - no "bro deals" for me. I have heard Westsounds, never owned the brand, so no first-hand experience with them other than hearing them pulled up at the beach. Sounded fine, and the Rev10s are loud when you want them to be. Best advice I can give you is to give a listen and decide with your ears and your wallet. If the phrase "service after the sale" matters much to you, you can be confident that with Exile you'll be covered there in spades. I've been the beneficiary of that service multiple times, and Brian is a guy that will go the extra mile to make sure you have the info you need to get things right.

Oh, and I like the sound quality of my XM9s just fine. Best other advice I can give you is to match your tower speakers with a complimentary amp. Weakest link in the chain really matters in this situation.

Edited by WetSider
  • Like 2