Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Roush 575 and Fuel Octane

Shodan01

I'd suggest buying multiple 15 gallon cans or larger, fill up on the way to the lake, fill up boat with your preferred gas, enjoy the weekend. Repeat all Summer long.

I guess I need a photo of my steps down to the dock :-) Unfortunately it would be tight.

Spoke with Indmar and Roush Performance today. I got a lot of non-answers. Specifically I asked Indmar about warranty and his thoughts. His perception would be a slightly decrease in performance, however he felt if 89 was ethanol free then we would probably be ok. He also mentioned that ALL RAPTOR motors needed 91 and above, so he seemed shocked that I called.

Roush said to fill with Premium to start the summer, and every weekend take a gas caddy down to the dock (or launch) and mix premium with the 89 octane....His feeling was 20 gallons per tank of 70 gallons would be fine.

Spoke with Indmar and Roush Performance today. I got a lot of non-answers. Specifically I asked Indmar about warranty and his thoughts. His perception would be a slightly decrease in performance, however he felt if 89 was ethanol free then we would probably be ok. He also mentioned that ALL RAPTOR motors needed 91 and above, so he seemed shocked that I called.

Roush said to fill with Premium to start the summer, and every weekend take a gas caddy down to the dock (or launch) and mix premium with the 89 octane....His feeling was 20 gallons per tank of 70 gallons would be fine.

Sorry to say...... Indmar guy doesn't know what the heck he is talking about..... First and formost, ethanol actually helps prevent low octane detonation issues. And the 400 and 440 are fine on 87 and up. Where do they find these people that they hire to do customer service?!?!?

Sorry to say...... Indmar guy doesn't know what the heck he is talking about..... First and formost, ethanol actually helps prevent low octane detonation issues. And the 400 and 440 are fine on 87 and up. Where do they find these people that they hire to do customer service?!?!?

I second this. Ethanol raises resistance to knock. I believe that E85 is equivalent to 100 octane. And we have run 87 octane in 400 and 440 Raptors for 2 seasons. No noticeable performance loss.

• Like 1

http://www.racegas.com/article/52

Now if you can find a higher octane than 93 at a gas station it may be worth just picking up a can.

BadgerBoater - good idea. There's a station near my lake with 116 Octane gas. Blend 5 gallons of that with 45 gallons of 89 Octane and you get 92 Octane.

Now if they still made gas jugs that don't have those terrible dribble "safety" nozzles!

[quote name="minnmarker" post="899972" timestamp="1454472483"

Now if they still made gas jugs that don't have those terrible dribble "safety" nozzles!

Get yourself some race car gas cans. I'm sure you can get them from summit racing or an equivalent racing supply outlet.

Edited by TenTwentyOne

Get yourself some race car gas cans. I'm sure you can get them from summit racing or an equivalent racing supply outlet.

With a plain old Monsoon 340 I don't need to boost Octane - but good idea and Amazon comes though as usual.

http://www.amazon.com/Justrite-AccuFlow-7250130-Galvanized-Flexible/dp/B003FZB3N0/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1454473474&sr=8-12&keywords=gas+can#biss-product-description-and-details

Engine octane requirements are interesting. My 1.3 liter 170 hp Wave Runners require only 87 octane.

BadgerBoater - good idea. There's a station near my lake with 116 Octane gas. Blend 5 gallons of that with 45 gallons of 89 Octane and you get 92 Octane.

I know right? Those things are the worst... I honestly think I have spilled more gas with the new nozzles than the old ones.

Again, if you follow the formula in my post from page one you should be fine. Just plug in your higher octane and how many gallons you can carry down to your dock and then that will tell you how many gallons you need of 89 octane to hit your numbers.

^^^^^^ just ordered one of those self priming siphons! They had one showing at our boat show, the 1" diameter one will supposedly empty 5 gal. in 30 seconds and you don't have to break your back holding the jug up

You do not want to run leaded fuel as it will kill your O2 sensors. I don't know how many O2 sensors the new 575 has but on my Monsoon 350 there are 4, 2 are pre-catalyst and 2 are post catalyst. They may last 5 hours or 50 hours, but they will die. You may get them replaced under warranty one time but it will be plainly obvious that leaded fuel killed them so after that the cost will be on you. Depending on the O2 sensors used they can cost up to ~$150 each.

Sunoco makes a 104 octane unleaded race fuel, I don't know of a higher octane non-leaded fuel but they may be out there. So you could fill up 10 gallons of the 104 with 60 gallons of the 89 from your marina and end up at 91 octane total for each 70 gallon tank. Maybe you could work out a deal with the marina to keep some 5 gallon cans there for you. It's not cheap but it will work to get you to the proper octane rating.

I agree with most of the other comments that running 89 you will probably pull so much timing that it won't be worth it. Retarded ignition timing also leads to much higher exhaust gas temps, and if run like that under heavy load for prolonged times could results in some cooked exhaust valves and/or ruined catalysts.

If you don't want to mix fuel it would probably be better to just get the 450, run 89, and use a more aggressive prop to get the hole shot you need. The naturally aspirated 450 will be much less octane sensitive than the 575, especially on a hot summer day when everything is heat soaked.

• Like 1

^^^^^^ just ordered one of those self priming siphons! They had one showing at our boat show, the 1" diameter one will supposedly empty 5 gal. in 30 seconds and you don't have to break your back holding the jug up

Yeper!!!!! I tilt my can as it gets down and it sucks them near dry. So fast I can't pull my cover off and role it up. I have an old towel I set on my trunk. Put the gas can on and start the siphon.

• Like 1

You should call the indmar guy back and tell him they need to rewrite both their published specs and the engine manual. Both say 89 octane for the 400 and 450.

Since they are running 100% gas, bring a couple gas cans of E85 to mix in.

It seems you have a 78 gallon tank. If you run 70 gallons of pure E0 89 octane and mix in 8 gallons of E85, that will put you at E11, which is close enough to E10 (E15 and under should be fine). It will also bump you up to 90.6 octane.

This is a hell of a lot cheaper than mixing race gas. Remember, pretty much all pump gas is E10, so mixing some E85 won't hurt a thing. I run an E30 mix in my car from time to time (I'd run more if I ever get around to upgrading my low pressure fuel pump to handle the additional volume needed for E50 - E60).

• Like 1

Hitch mounted cargo rack. Or buy a $2k used small pickup.

So there is no nearby dock, wall or ramp where you can drive near the water? Not buying that.

You have a defeatest attitude, if you quit on this you will quit on everything the rest on your life!

Hitch mounted cargo rack. Or buy a $2k used small pickup.

So there is no nearby dock, wall or ramp where you can drive near the water? Not buying that.

You have a defeatest attitude, if you quit on this you will quit on everything the rest on your life!

Thanks for the pep talk - There is a great landing about 1 mile from my house. Didn't even think of the trailer idea, however not a bad one. I posted the question to see different ideas, of which I appreciate!

Defeatist Attitude.....thats cute.

You know I'm joking.

I run 89-91 most of the time. Never 87.

When it's a big 4 day holiday weekend... When it's gonna be a 1.5 tank weekend.... I start with full 93, when it gets down to 1/3 I refill with 89 at a marina.

I actually get better gph using 89-91 than full 93.

I ran a full gas log for 2 summers.

I have a 65gal tank.... 80gal would get me through 98% of my summer weekends. Most weekends I burn 30-45gals over 3 days. 6-8gph average on a 16x15.5