Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Will this fat sac idea work?

chathamsolutions

I've dealt with this guy a couple of times ... if you send him an email he'd probably sell you the Rule 1100 gph pumps directly. At any rate, this one is listed for 24.99. He installs ballast systems professionally, and I think he sells some of the extra pumps he gets. He told me that the Rule 1100 is the only one he uses for installs.

Rule 1100 GPH

I had a hard time finding these pumps for sale anywhere these days. The new Rule pumps are a little different. And I don't think there's a fitting around that screws onto the Tsunami 1200, except for the one that Fly High sells. That 1 1/8" fitting is kind of a pain. I've heard of people grinding it down to 1" so something will fit it. I've got a Tsunami 1200, and it is fast.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chathamsolutions

• WakeGirl

• SacRiverRat

• Ronnie

man I love my pop bags :)

Plus1.gif

Uh hu. And tell me how you like carrying 750lbs of pop bags? What's it like moving all that from one locker to the other? :)

Come on, pop bags aren't the answer for surfing. Especially with a boat like the 247. It takes some serious weight to create the wake we like behind a 23 or a 24'7er. Pop bags can be a big added bonus, but they can't do what we're talking about.

At 40lbs a bag. It's pretty simple. Plus, if I want a little more in the bow I just carry the 40lb bag up there. Last weekend everyone was sitting in the back of the boat so it had a hard time getting out of the hole. I decided to move 5 bags (200lbs) forward, a total of 5 minutes, and it got the nose down quicker and still gave me a great wake.

I ordered them, spaced them out in 20 minutes and when we surf it take less than 5 minutes to move them form one side to the other. All the while a 750lb is filling up in the locker :)

How much time and effort do you have invested in this already? :lol:

Oh, and as far as the wake, take a look at the 07 MMD pictures. Just a few people, a 750 and a few bags shoved to one side. The wake was fantastic!

As far as the 23, Go check out stusumm' stunami thread.......

Edited by stewart

How much time and effort do you have invested in this already? :lol:

Most of my time has been spent here - typing. :)

If I get it all figured out first, then I'll hopefully do it right the first time.

That much weight in pop bags would hinder space on my boat. Not willing to do that, ideally have it all fit in the locker. I typically have too many people on the boat and want to use my space the best I can. When the ProX is full in the locker it'll push the locker door open if there's anything on top of it, life jackets, etc. So if there were pop bags underneath it would mess with that - or space in the main seating area.

------

Tracie - thanks for the info. I think you're right. I'll go with something that uses 3/4" inch. If I can get 1100 then I'll go that way.

------

Jeff - I'll hook up with that guy ASAP. Thanks!

Just keep in mind that the Rule probably utilizes a different size on the output side of the pump (as I said, I think that it's 1") so be prepared to reduce that to make it work with your existing plumbing. With that said, that's a great deal & I may look at that to replace the fill & empty pumps on my center tanks. That thing takes forever to fill & empty.

I've been considering either the pop products or an alternative. The more bags that you get going, the more of a PITA it seems to be. If I could limit that to the one bag in the locker & maybe a small one up front, that would be excellent. I could see a combination of bags & lead as being a really good compromise.

Funny this should come up ... I just received 3 of the Rule pumps in mail! On the input side, they're 3/4 inch ID, normal, tapered fitting it looks like. On the output, it's a 1 inch ID tubing barb fitting.

I can't wait to install them! Yahoo.gif

Edited by sunscapeJeff

I used the Rule 1100 in mine - just on the fill side.

The intake screwed into the brass thru hull fittings and the outflow is for 1" id hose.

I experimented at first by leaving my hose at 3/4 i.d. since it was already plumbed that way and just using a reducing fitting at the pump.

But the fill times were somewhat longer than when I used all 1" i.d. from pump to sac - fills much faster.

Only thing I would change is I would use a more flexible hose than the clear braided PVC hose from Lowes - I would use something like the black OEM hose.

But once I got my hose path and the corners turned all is super.

oooh, oh, oh!

This is all good info.

ONLY problem now, the RULE guy you LINKed me to Jeff, is at a wakeboarding tournament this whole next week - won't ship anything until 8-10. I'm leaving for Trinity end of next week - so I HAVE to have the pump by next week.

So, where do I order a RULE 1100 that will be at my house by next week? Anyone, anyone?

All I can find are the Rule bilge pumps. Anyone have the stock # for the 1100 that has the 3/4" input and 1" out?

Thtas where I got mine but surely West Marine or someone like that would have them.

One of the reasons I used the Rule was its the same size as the Rule 750 I replaced it with.

In fact the base was exactly the same which was handy because the original installer glued them in to the ball valve so mine still have the original pump's base.

I also have used Mayfair 1100 - but it has the 3/4" id hose outflow.

They have replaceable cartridges

I have that same Mayfair pump & I don't really find it to be any faster than the Tsunami 800 (I've got both of them as empty pumps on my 750s, so it's a good comparison). I have no idea on the other 1100 & 1200 pumps. Honestly though Andy, if you're going to utilize your existing plumbing, I don't think that you're going to gain much if anything with that Rule pump over something like the Tsunami 800. If you change out your lines for 1", that's a different story of course. But that 3/4" line is the big limiting factor IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anybody plumbed a pro x 750 sac or an 1450 Enzo sac in addition to the stock tank in the rear compartments ? I would like to utilize the stock fill/drain/overflow set up but I want to retain the tanks. I'm thinking I could do it with a series of valves, fittings, and some extra tubing. Any thoughts ? Thanks

You should really read this whole thread. I thought the same thing you're thinking, but REALLY - you're better off just using the 750's or maybe the Enzo's. You'll get MORE ballast if you take the hard tanks out.

If you read the whole thread you'll see that is what I found.

You should really read this whole thread. I thought the same thing you're thinking, but REALLY - you're better off just using the 750's or maybe the Enzo's. You'll get MORE ballast if you take the hard tanks out.

If you read the whole thread you'll see that is what I found.

Keep in mind that his boat is a 2006 and the hard tanks are below the floor.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't want a hard tank at all. I think the sacs work out better because it gives you some storage space for trailering, or for just storing stuff period. If you put in the hard tank, you can't get that space back.

EDIT: I have, however, thought about putting some sort of hard tank under the center bow cushion, as that space is pretty much wasted anyway. In the end, though, I'm not sure I could get enough water into it to really make it worth the trouble of installing another pump, etc.

Edited by sunscapeJeff

I'm going to be installing 1" 1100GPH RULE fill pumps this next week. I finally ordered the 1" Brady Check Valves - much harder to get than I initially anticipated. Not hard once I finally started doing an online search, but no one around knew what they were. Finally ordered them from a local True Value hardware. Had to do it over the phone, so I could look at their online catalog and give the guy the model numbers, etc. I won't have to pay shipping cause I'll just pick them up at the store.

1" is much harder to do than 3/4". Tubing is harder to find, it's more expensive, limited tubing options, fittings are harder to find, etc.

Hope to have it set up for my weekend trip to Nacimiento next weekend!

I got all the fittings at Lowes and Home Depot - used the dark grey pvc stuff.

I used 1" id braided also from Lowes and its worked just fine but I think the black ribbed stuff like the OEM would work better cuz that first turn off of the pump is really tight. I didn't use check valves this time and have not had any siphon issues but have had drain pump issues. Once you get about 550 to 600 lbs of water in the sac they tend to start self draining so I just stick a wine bottle cork in the hull hole - classic look - just remember to remove before actual draining.

I thought the use of a burp/vent line would help avoid that but it didn't.

The 750s have been a great addition to my ballast system