Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Will this fat sac idea work?

chathamsolutions

Yup - I have a quick disconnect on my pumps, since the wiring is all tied up nicely - so that if I ever needed to pull the sac out - could just disconnect the pump wires, and leave the hoses connected.

Also helps with screwing in the pump ;)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chathamsolutions

• WakeGirl

• SacRiverRat

• Ronnie

You talking about the type connector that you might see on a Battery Tender?

Scott

I've had the standard quick connector come apart before when it's used in that application. All it takes is a quarter of a turn when you over some wakes and the connector will come loose.

If the wiring is all you're worried about just grab some Molex two pin connectors to make a quick release for the wiring (that's what we do).

Any two pin (two wire) semi-secure connection will work. You can get the Molex connectors from WaytekWire, or you can get them at Fry's.

You can also get two pin trailer harness connectors at almost any marine/RV shop, so that's something you could get locally.

Just keep in mind that you'll need to order the Male connector, the female connector, and appropiate pins for each. I just remembered that Waytek has minimum order quantities on the pins, so that may not be the best source to pick them up from.

Let me know if you have trouble finding something else that will work (Fry's has white two pin square Molex connectors in the computer section) and I'll find another source.

Dude, you guys are making it waaay too difficult. I just went to "the Shack" (Radio Shack) and picked up the connectors there. They don't need to be anything fancy. Just dual pin connectors

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't picked up the connectors yet. Still need to do that. I've just been using the Fly-High connectors - working for the moment.

I have found that the tanks are quickly draining out the fill. Must be too much pressure for it to stay full. We fill the tanks up and then a while later, they're empty.

Wonder if I need to set up a ball valve or one of the electric solenoid ones mentioned earlier?

I wakeboarded today for the first time with the sacs. I filled them 1/3 full and the wake was great - just like normal. I filled them all the way, just becuase I wanted to see what it was like, and it was CRAZY big! Normal long transition of the 23 LSV, but there's a SAN like lip at the top of that. Holy Cow it kicks. I quickly had them drop the wake down, too much for me. I didn't need that.

It was chilly today, 50F air 52F water when we started. It got a bit better as the day went on, but not a lot. It was windy most of the day.

One thing I learned about surfing, with all that weight I was able to drop our speed from 11MPH to 10.3 and the wake got much bigger, probably by 1/4th. It kept it's length and it was steeper. I likie :)

This is the first time I've ever seen Anderson's parking lot like this. Only ONE other truck in the lot.

post-9-1166842616_thumb.jpg

Yes, it was cold.

post-9-1166842647_thumb.jpg

I have found that the tanks are quickly draining out the fill. Must be too much pressure for it to stay full. We fill the tanks up and then a while later, they're empty.

Wonder if I need to set up a ball valve or one of the electric solenoid ones mentioned earlier?

I told you it would and all you need is an inline "Brady valve" from home depot

Or more normally called a check valve out here (they may look at you crazy if you say Brady valve). There are a couple of different kinds available, just look for the type that takes the least amount of pressure to open when filling.

Or more normally called a check valve out here (they may look at you crazy if you say Brady valve). There are a couple of different kinds available, just look for the type that takes the least amount of pressure to open when filling.

Yep. I tested the ones I found by blowing in them - I figgered water should flow very free - and it does.

• 7 months later...

Ahhh... I'm finally getting this Brady / Check valve thing.

http://www.bradyproducts.com/products.htm#check

I'm going to Home Depot / Lowes / OSH and looking for these ASAP. The way I've been dealing with the draining bags is I've just been leaving the pumps on fill all the time. Unfortunately I think I burned out one of my Piranahas and now have to replace it.

FYI -

I've been having problems with my Fly-High ProX series - and yes, you guys all said I'd have problems like this. Specifically I've had a problem with the PVC fitting coming out. Remember, i've been leaving my pumps on fill and I think that's part of the problem. Specifically the Fly High fittings have been coming out of the bag itself. So, it's not another fitting that I'm using, it's actually the fly high fitting into another fly high fitting. The biggest problem has been the drain lines. I've currently got the drain pump hooked directly into the bag with their fittings. And the bag fitting apparently has stretched enough that the pump keeps coming out.

I called Mike at Fly High, seems like a good guy. He said sometimes the tolerances are a little off so he's going to send me a quick connect that bit on the larger side.

The important thing he tole me though, is that a number of boat manufacturers are installing these bags with the quick disconnects (W736/W740) and they are using 'All Purpose PVC Cement' to bind the fitting in the bag. He said if you do that, you wont' have any problems with the fittings coming out. 'Make sure it's dry, clean, and that it's cool - it won't work if it's hot.'

I'm going to buy another set of the 736/740's and use the cement on all the fittings in the bag to make them permanent.

I've tried to research the different pumps out there and want to replace my 800GPH Prianaha with an 1100GPH Rule or Tsunami. But as I've looked and gone to West Marine, I am having a hard time figuring out which one will actually work. The pics on the web site don't show multiple angles of the pump - so I can't tell if it's a 'bilge' pump that sucks up through the pump housing body, or if it has an intake with a barbed end, like my piranahas.

http://www.rule-industries.com/products/pumps/index.htm

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/products/

What pump should I buy, and from where?

Does anyone know if that pump will screw into my existing hole in my bilge - to take the place of one of my fill piranahas?

It looks like it'll fit in the space. There's really just flexible pipes in that area, and they can be pushed around a bit.

If I'm buying a new pump I'd rather put in a high capacity fill pump and switch out my slower existing 800GPH fill pump. Stick the slower 800GPH pump on as a drain pump.

Lowes/Depot and such don't have the Brady valve in a 1" - biggest they have is 3/4".

I use 1" id hose to take full advantage of the 1100 pumps.

Can get the valves online.

I haven't added any yet just been shutting them off at the thru hull valve when filled.

I did add an inline plastic ball valve on the drain side cuz once it gets about 500 lbs the drain pump can't hold it back and it starts to drain regardless of generous looping.

I'm in the trunks anyway moving paraphenalia hither and yon anyway

Does anyone know if that pump will screw into my existing hole in my bilge - to take the place of one of my fill piranahas?

It looks like it'll fit in the space. There's really just flexible pipes in that area, and they can be pushed around a bit.

If I'm buying a new pump I'd rather put in a high capacity fill pump and switch out my slower existing 800GPH fill pump. Stick the slower 800GPH pump on as a drain pump.

The 800's will screw directly into your sack...as will the rule 1100's

Thanks Brad, good info.

Will the 1200 Tsunami screw into the hole in my bilge? The one that the FILL pump is screwed directly into?

man I love my pop bags :)

Plus1.gif

Uh hu. And tell me how you like carrying 750lbs of pop bags? What's it like moving all that from one locker to the other? :)

Come on, pop bags aren't the answer for surfing. Especially with a boat like the 247. It takes some serious weight to create the wake we like behind a 23 or a 24'7er. Pop bags can be a big added bonus, but they can't do what we're talking about.

Sorry, let me be clear:

I currently have these bags in my rear lockers -

post-9-1186161182_thumb.jpg

Fly High ProX 750Lb

I have 3/4 inch quick release fittings on the VENT and FILL openings - the two openings on the top.

post-9-1186161247_thumb.jpg

post-9-1186161267_thumb.jpg

For the DRAIN (the hole at the bottom front of the bag) I'm currently using the quick release fitting - the one shown in Tracie's post above.

post-9-1186161416_thumb.jpg

This one is screwed into the bag.

post-9-1186161441_thumb.jpg

This one is screwed onto the end of the pump.

---------

What I would like to do:

Since I've had a 800GPH Piranaha FILL pump burn out. I'd like to replace that with a larger pump, at 1200.

I'm wondering if I can screw the Tsunami 1200 into the hole in my hull/bilge that the Piranha is currently screwed into? I'm guessing I can find a fitting that I can make work. But if someone has tried this and sees some inherent flaws with the idea right away, please let me know.

My plan is to get rid of the quick release DRAIN fittings. I'm going to use the same quick release fittings that I'm using in the other two holes in the bag. I will be using all purpose PVC cement to lock in the fittings that are in the BAG.

If I switch over to the 1200, I'll switch the fittings to 1" to take advantage of the volume.

The 1200 won't fit in the plug hole in your bilge, that's a 3/4" hole & the 1200 has 1 1/8" threads. Furthermore, if you're going to get rid of your quick release fittings on the empty side, you'll also be limited to the 3/4" threads. I believe that the Rule 1100 has 3/4" on the intake, but on the other side of the pump it's 1" as I recall. So you'd need a reducer to get back to 3/4" in order to utilize your existing plumbing.

FWIW, I use a Tsunami 800 on one of my Fly High sacks (it screwed right in, no problems) & it's pretty fast. I think that it drains that bag in 5 or 6 minutes. It's a little faster than the Simer takes to fill the other side at about 7-8 minutes. IME, ultimately you'll be limited by the use of 3/4" lines, so the difference between 1200 & 800 gph won't be that big. JMO