Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ram SRT10 Quad Cab as tow/haul/long trip/snow vehicle?

Nitrousbird

Go ahead. Suggest something other then an SRT10. I dare you.

Go ahead, suggest me a truck that:

- Is under 100k miles

- '05+

- Makes reasonable towing power

- Quad cab

- Leather, power seats, sunroof, etc.

- 4WD or 2WD w/ LSD (2WD one-wheel-peel is a no-go, unless knocking off another $1000 to retrofit)

- Not a '02-06 Avalanche, Silverado, Sierra (as it's the same or too similar to what I already have)

- In the 14k to 17k tops price range (pre-tax)

Let's hear it.

Go ahead, suggest me a truck that:- Is under 100k miles- '05+- Makes reasonable towing power- Quad cab- Leather, power seats, sunroof, etc.- 4WD or 2WD w/ LSD (2WD one-wheel-peel is a no-go, unless knocking off another $1000 to retrofit)- Not a '02-06 Avalanche, Silverado, Sierra (as it's the same or too similar to what I already have)- In the 14k to 17k tops price range (pre-tax)Let's hear it.

I'm just ribbing you. But really you have such tight requirements it sounds like you don't have much selection. Trucks are expensive. You want quad cab. You want leather. You want sunroof.... All of which (given your price) severely limit your options. So ya, srt10 might be your only option.

Good luck, I don't have any suggestions.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

With the leather/power seats and sunroof requirement that makes it tough. 09 and up Hemi Ram is 390HP/420TQ and would feel like a lot of power compared to your avalanche you could get a quad/crew in that price range with SLT trim but not leather or sunroof.

I suppose a 6.0L 2500 Surburban/Yukon are out of the question

SUV. If I went with a SUV, a Porsche Cayenne Turbo is on top of my list. That said, I use the truck bed enough that I think going to an SUV would be annoying at times.

SUV. If I went with a SUV, a Porsche Cayenne Turbo is on top of my list. That said, I use the truck bed enough that I think going to an SUV would be annoying at times.

Is that a different budget, or do Porsche cayenne turbid actually sell under 17k?

why not go with an 05 or 06 escalade EXT? Seems like that would get you there pretty easy.

A little too similar to the '02-'06 Avalanche and Sierra/Silverado of that era. That and they look a bit weird IMO unless you do some mods to them and people tend to want more for them than they are worth compared to everything else. AWD and the 6.0L are nice. I would put them in the possible option but more of a last-ditch pick.

Is that a different budget, or do Porsche cayenne turbid actually sell under 17k?

There are actually a decent amount of them at that price and lower, considering how many were sold. It's that dealership repair fee folks fear, killing the value of them. That makes it very attractive to me as I wrench on my own stuff. My wife liked the idea of one (for me, not her) but I'm not sure how happy I'd be without a truck. I'm told they tow surprisingly well.

Man we are different. I would never prioritize a sunroof and leather seats over reliability and newer. I would go work truck and vinyl seats first.

I would likely never consider buying a used 5+ year old car in the $15-$20k range. For me it's either a $5-$10k cheapie as a banger if you feel the need to keep Autozone in business or buy new. Hard for me to see the value in between. Especially considering a $17k+ niche vehicle, 10yrs old and nearly 100k miles.

New boss dog tow vehicle status starts between $28k-$32k whether big engine 1/2ton or 3/4ton gassers 4x4 and crewcab. NEW.

Absolutely not saying Nitrous is doing anything wrong by any means. But over a beer I'd tell a lake buddy if $17k(+ repairs) is the absolute top budget, wait and save more to buy new.....or..... focus on the 5-10k range and ease up on the frivolous criteria if you really like to wrench your weekends away. $17k+ near garaunteed 10yr old truck repairs isn't chump change.

Man we are different. I would never prioritize a sunroof and leather seats over reliability and newer. I would go work truck and vinyl seats first.

I would likely never consider buying a used 5+ year old car in the $15-$20k range. For me it's either a $5-$10k cheapie as a banger if you feel the need to keep Autozone in business or buy new. Hard for me to see the value in between. Especially considering a $17k+ niche vehicle, 10yrs old and nearly 100k miles.

New boss dog tow vehicle status starts between $28k-$32k whether big engine 1/2ton or 3/4ton gassers 4x4 and crewcab. NEW.

Absolutely not saying Nitrous is doing anything wrong by any means. But over a beer I'd tell a lake buddy if $17k(+ repairs) is the absolute top budget, wait and save more to buy new.....or..... focus on the 5-10k range and ease up on the frivolous criteria if you really like to wrench your weekends away. $17k+ near garaunteed 10yr old truck repairs isn't chump change.

I have been doing it successfully for years. I can break out the math if you'd like, but it rarely makes financial sense to buy new. Not sure where you are finding new 4x4 Crewcab trucks new or even CPO for 28-32k. Even based out cloth seat stuff.

As for 10 year old truck repairs, when you DIY, it isn't that expensive. In my 10 years of owning my Avalanche (bought 3.5 years old, 68k miles, put another 100k on it), the most expensive by a long shot repair was replacing the entire brake system (plus upgrading it, as the stock brakes suck). About $1500 all in, leaving only the master cylinder and ABS unit stock. That includes upgrading to a Hydroboost setup (with new pedal even), all new stainless lines, braided stainless soft lines, new calipers, rotors, expensive pads, the works. It could have been done for about 1/2 but I wanted to do some upgrades.

Otherwise, tires, shocks, fuel pump and other stuff that is a couple hundred here and there. I'd venture that half of what I spent on maintenance/repairs would apply to owning a new truck from 0 to 100k miles that spent its first 4yr/50k under the bumper-to-bumper. Even a tranny rebuilt isn't all that bad for most trucks if you pull it yourself and have a pro do it.

Edited by Nitrousbird

--Not sure where you are finding new 4x4 Crewcab trucks new or even CPO for 28-32k.

28K is what I paid for my SLT crewcab brand new. Its got 125K on it and I'll keep it another 25-75K and buy a new one

Pretty easy to come in under 30K on a 38K MSRP without even negotiating

http://www.jeffbelzer.com/details/2015-RAM-1500-Lakeville-MN/6762438?cid=14

http://www.jeffbelzer.com/inventory/Model_1500?cid=14&sort=price&count=50&page=1

Edited by oldjeep

I hear you... A big part of it it you have the tools, skills, patience for DIY. So in cars.com, here are the 3/4tons:

2016 6.2L F250 Crewcab 4x4, $30k- yes vinyl seats/floors hand crank windows

2016 6.4L Ram 2500 Crew 4x4, $33k- cloth seats but power windows and locks

I can screen capture but not share a link....I do it on an iPhone app.

Go to cars.com

Search NEW

Filter Results:

RAM

Body Style: crew

Drivetrain: 4x4

Keyword Search: 6.4L

Then sort lowest $$ to most expensive.

Then filter within 200miles of your location to widen the net some.

I had 10 under $35k within 200 miles of me.

The 2016 6.7L 4x4 Crewcab diesels start at $39k with PW, PL, Backup camera, Bluetooth etc!!

I am also surprised about the Cayenne GTS.

I looked earlier this year. Wanted to stay under $15k, and had trouble finding a Cayenne S in that price range. Ended up spending less $ on a 2500 Burb with the 8.1. Much worse DD than what you are considering, but it tows the boat well with power & room to spare. If I was downsizing to one less vehicle, the Cayenne would be high on my list to replace the Burb and my fun car.

If you go that way, make sure you get something with the upgraded coolant pipes and that has the driveshaft bearing replaced.

I went from an F250 to diesel Excursion and it has been an awesome move. I thought I would miss the bed but with a trailer, I wouldn't trade a large SUV for a truck now. When camping and driving to the lake we can haul lots of people and if we're hauling gear it's always dry and easily accessible.

I get a kick out of your vehicle threads, it sounds like you always have your mind made up and are just challenging people to find something wrong with your decision? I'm not a dodge fan anyhow, but I cant imagine someone else coming on here and saying they have to pull the pan to adjust the band every 10,000 miles without you telling them how crazy they are to own that vehicle? You are typically pretty vocal about that type of stuff. Have you driven a dodge of that era, to me they just feel/look cheap, not saying they are but being used to a GM like yourself, they just feel alot "different" to me, and most of my GM buddys have the same opinion. I'm sure it doesn't matter what I or others say (and it shouldn't) you will do your homework, drive them, and make your own decision.

I'm a DIYer too and prefer older vehicles also like Nitrous does. My daily driver I bought with 34,000 miles on it for a bit less then the budget mentioned. It now has almost 250,000 on it and I really haven't spent alot on NEEDED repairs. I like the late 90s GM trucks (have 3 drivers, and 3 parts ones) and probably will not be in that situation for awhile, but have in the past and understand it. Making changes and upgrades to the vehicle is half the fun for us guys, look at how much some of us do with our boats. Sometimes you almost look forward to something breaking depending what it is, thinking "now I can upgrade that"! I just cant imagine paying big money for a new vehicle only to want to change something a few weeks later. My best friend is more like you I would guess, buys a new truck every couple years, complains when its time to get new tires and says "time to trade, tires are going to be more then registering/taxing a new one". So I do see it. Its a good "ribbing" subject between friends. I give him crap every time he mentions making a payment, he rides me when ever I'm working on mine.

• Like 2

Ya I'm absolutely not saying to buy new every few years. What I'm suggesting is to buy new and keep for many years for value and trouble free ownership.

And don't lose sight or exaggerate the terms. $17k for 8-10yr old used and 100k miles or $28k new big engine 1/2ton crew 4x4. It's not like that $17k is free and the $28k is nothing but endless payments.

Another thing to consider with what he's boxed himself into with the Srt10, with many years and miles on it.... is how that truck's been used throughout its life. Every man that has sat behind the wheel of that truck has hammered it. It's a race car.

looking up prices on 10 year old diesels may change your mind... buying new and getting a solid deal and seeing what they could be worth in 10 years is something to look at. would have to imagine your cost of ownership is less with a new diesel (base model dodge CTD can be had for 35ish) then spending 17k on a srt ram. also having peace of mind that you have a 5/100,000 warranty.