Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ram SRT10 Quad Cab as tow/haul/long trip/snow vehicle?

Nitrousbird

Tires play a big part in the 2WD vs 4WD discussion. Locking Diff definitely helps too. We had a Mitsu SUV for a couple years, it had some Michelin off road tires. It would go everywhere in 2WD, unstoppable in 4WD.

The 2WD trucks we had in Fla would tow just fine, but if you had a slimey launch ramp, you could be in for a bit of a struggle. I've stood in the bed of a truck and jumped up and down on several occasions to get up a ramp. But it is doable.

In a dodge truck traction control is individually braking wheels. This isn't a f$%&n Bmw;)

Regardless of brakes vs. cutting power, same basic result. No that it matters - I've since researched and discovered the SRT-10 doesn't have traction control.

After some more extended research, I've found:

- Tranny bands must be adjusted very regularly. Like every 10k miles. It appears to be a fairly easy procedure, though you do end up changing the tranny fluid as the pan has to be dropped

- PS and Oil cooler lines are garbage, but aftermarket braided fixes this

That seems to be the only real mechanical problem areas. Paint/clear is hit and miss on these trucks and I hear you can't buy the seat skins any longer (which is the problem with my Avalanche - though the SRT-10 skins can probably be duplicated where no chance of having them duplicated on my Avalanche).

My concerns:

- Highway fuel consumption - have yet to find a straight answer on that

- Highway towing fuel consumption. If it is at least 9MPG, I'm fine with that (same as I get now)

- Mixed reviews of snow performance with proper wheels/tires. Seems you can run 20" Ram wheels with narrower snow tires and that helps a lot

- Dodge really wasn't keeping up with the competition in terms of interiors in those years. The SRT seems to be the nicest of them but still not where it should have been at that time

With the mileage I drive the truck, I suppose fuel mileage isn't the end of the world or a full on deal breaker.

Regardless of brakes vs. cutting power, same basic result. No that it matters - I've since researched and discovered the SRT-10 doesn't have traction control.

After some more extended research, I've found:

- Tranny bands must be adjusted very regularly. Like every 10k miles. It appears to be a fairly easy procedure, though you do end up changing the tranny fluid as the pan has to be dropped

- PS and Oil cooler lines are garbage, but aftermarket braided fixes this

That seems to be the only real mechanical problem areas. Paint/clear is hit and miss on these trucks and I hear you can't buy the seat skins any longer (which is the problem with my Avalanche - though the SRT-10 skins can probably be duplicated where no chance of having them duplicated on my Avalanche).

My concerns:

- Highway fuel consumption - have yet to find a straight answer on that

- Highway towing fuel consumption. If it is at least 9MPG, I'm fine with that (same as I get now)

- Mixed reviews of snow performance with proper wheels/tires. Seems you can run 20" Ram wheels with narrower snow tires and that helps a lot

- Dodge really wasn't keeping up with the competition in terms of interiors in those years. The SRT seems to be the nicest of them but still not where it should have been at that time

With the mileage I drive the truck, I suppose fuel mileage isn't the end of the world or a full on deal breaker.

Snow performance should be fine with some weight in the back and good tires. In my case I run 600lbs of sand tubes in my crewcab - however I have the coil rear not the leafs of the 3rd gen.

I agree on the interiors of the 3rd Gen, but if you were happy with the Chevy interior then I would think that would be OK. The Chevy Silverado I looked at in 2002 was still using the same dash that they had in the mid 90's S10 I owned.

Fuel consumption is going to be a tough one - not sure people were buying V10's for the mileage ;)

Edited by oldjeep

Snow performance should be fine with some weight in the back and good tires. In my case I run 600lbs of sand tubes in my crewcab - however I have the coil rear not the leafs of the 3rd gen.

I agree on the interiors of the 3rd Gen, but if you were happy with the Chevy interior then I would think that would be OK. The Chevy Silverado I looked at in 2002 was still using the same dash that they had in the mid 90's S10 I owned.

Fuel consumption is going to be a tough one - not sure people were buying V10's for the mileage ;)

The GM dash was updated in '03 with a total overhaul in '07. As a former S-Jimmy owner ('95) I can promise you the interiors are quite different. Not to say it isn't starting to feel a bit dated.

We get snow but nothing insane. I have snow tires for my BMW but BMW is cheap and thinks a 50k car doesn't deserve a LSD and uses that BS E-diff crap.

BMW isn't cheap, BMW is strategic. The 335i is a great car, BMW had to leave some features for the M3 or risk diluting the benchmark car's desirability

BMW isn't cheap, BMW is strategic. The 335i is a great car, BMW had to leave some features for the M3 or risk diluting the benchmark car's desirability

Oh, they are cheap. There are a number of things they cheap out on across the lineup - some I believe to be engineered weaknesses designed to keep service needs up. The M3 has enough to differentiate it that an LSD could be had (or at least an option) throughout the lineup.

With the price of gas now, it's time to live a little.

With the price of gas now, it's time to live a little.

These fuel prices won't last. I seem to keep trucks for a long time - I expect this purchase to be with me for another 10 years.

If I got the SRT-10 I would likely leave it fairly stock. Some sort of bed liner and a cover of it doesn't come with the stock cover/spoiler (it's hit or miss whether the truck will have that). Double DIN nav unit, likely a NEX4100 unless something better comes along in the next few months. Any fuel economy increasing mods would be considered. Otherwise I'd leave it alone - the cars get the go fast goodies.

Latest reports I have seen predict that fuel prices will stay low up until the year 2020. Not sure if these forecasts are more reliable than weather forecasts, but we will see.

I had a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 (CTD). Best vehicle I have ever owned. Sold it for my 2012, which I a close second, but I digress.

I now have a 2003 Suburban for a winter and back up tow vehicle. I would say my RAM had a nicer interior than my Burb.

Just like the beamer thread, you know what you want.....exactly what you want.

I don't get it.

Want my input and opinion on that truck? You must grow a mullet if you want to drive one.

No, what I really want is a '07+ Escalade EXT or a '11+ Raptor. Both beyond what I'm willing to spend. This is actually a new idea I'm researching. '07+ Avalanche is still in my current mix but hard to find at the price properly optioned.

As for the BMW thread, the 1st Gen CTS-V nearly got the nod and I still think about it. Had a 6MT 335 been too hard to source I wouldn't have got one. My next car will be easier, though a good 3-5 years out - 2nd Gen CTS-V coupe 6MT.

FYI, I already own a mullet mobile.

A Joe dirt style TA?

'94 Formula Firebird. Was a nitrous fed car, now a very long term project with a pretty mean 383, twin intercooled D1SC Procharger. Car already has a cage, 5 point harnesses, 12-bolt rear, and a pile of other beefed up parts. I've done some very abusive clutch dump launches on this thing. T56 is a strong tranny...I've had to replace EVERYTHING else.

If you want some power and not worried that much about fuel, why not look at an first gen Avy 2500? the 496 is a great engine, I believe it is backed by a 4L80E which is a great tranny. I was |<->| this close to getting one, but it is my DD and the fuel economy would have been too hard to take. I know the interior isn't top notch, but you can get some nice aftermarket re-upholstery kits. Just a thought...

If you want some power and not worried that much about fuel, why not look at an first gen Avy 2500? the 496 is a great engine, I believe it is backed by a 4L80E which is a great tranny. I was |<->| this close to getting one, but it is my DD and the fuel economy would have been too hard to take. I know the interior isn't top notch, but you can get some nice aftermarket re-upholstery kits. Just a thought...

That's the 2500 version of what I already have. I at least want something a little different.

I should ask the question - has anyone went from a truck to an SUV and been okay with it? I have plenty of room to keep a utility trailer and already own a 18' open car hauler for large items.

If I were to go SUV, Porsche Cayenne Turbo is about the only thing on my radar. Prior to the Avalanche, I used to rock SUV's for tow rigs. Not sure I could go back to a SUV though. I'd love to convince the wife on a tow capable SUV (Q7 diesel would likely be the rig of choice), but she seems to be interested in a Q5 for her next DD (or Porsche Macan if they take a heavy depreciation hit in the next 1-2 years).

Avy is 100% modified Suburban. Chassis, rear suspension, driveline, exhaust, etc are all from the Burb.

Not that that's a bad thing. Much more advanced multi-link coil suspension rather than leafs like the trucks.

I've always wanted to take an Avy and a Denali XL and move every 'Denali' part over to make a Denavalanche since the bodies are identical below the window line. All the body side pieces, running boards, rear bumper cover, front clip, interior, dash face, center console, etc.

Edited by jk13

nitrous are you finding the SRT10s for way less than the 07 escalade exts? In my quick look semi-local look, the srt10s are $20K +/- and the exts aren't THAT much more (say $25K for something with 100k on it). If the prices are remotely close and you know that what you really want is the EXT, why not just nurse the avy along for a while longer till the EXT is in reach?

nitrous are you finding the SRT10s for way less than the 07 escalade exts? In my quick look semi-local look, the srt10s are $20K +/- and the exts aren't THAT much more (say $25K for something with 100k on it). If the prices are remotely close and you know that what you really want is the EXT, why not just nurse the avy along for a while longer till the EXT is in reach?

Yeah, quite a bit less. Escalades are 25k for 100k miles, give or take a grand. I've been watching their values for a while.

SRT-10, I'm sure I can score one for 15-16k from the looking I've done. It seems that because there are so many with low miles, anything with 60k+ is considered high mileage and tanked the value. Not that there are a ton out there but I'll have a while to look.

Though either could be afforded, I'm cheap. :) I don't intend to get a loan for it, so its easier to come up with 16k (plus tax) than 25k. Which is funny - I have really good credit yet never use it.

Ok, it's a trar like a ridgeline or el camino. Although I seem to remember Chevy calling it a sub.

Ok, it's a trar like a ridgeline or el camino. Although I seem to remember Chevy calling it a sub.

I get its built on a Suburban platform. But a Ridgeline is a unibody vehicle, where the Av is box on frame. The Avalanche can't be used like a SUV - its use is totally truck like. Edited by Nitrousbird