Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking at 247 or 23 LSV

Bcool

07 with 30 hours? did you clarify the whole boat had 30 hours or did they replace the engine and it only has 30 hours?

Yeah, it's all original, owner never used it, kept it inside as well. Looks like new. Dealer that serviced it is selling it, they were the original selling dealer.

I'd say if they can prove the ECM reads the same amount of hours then it's worth 44k easily if everything else works mechanically and it didn't sit uncovered for 8 years. My buddy has an 07 23lsv in great shape with a monsoon and 500 hours and I'd bet he could get 42-44k for it around here.

I've never had much luck wheeling and dealing with dealers, or maybe I just suck at it :unsure: . On a 5-10 year old boat you might have more luck with negotiations on Craigslist from private sellers, but don't forget the 3rd party inspection.

Edited by Ndawg12

this is the town I live in. If this interests you at all, bcool, I would be willing to go look at it.

Thank you, I would really appreciate that. It would be a 17 hour drive for me so I'd want to make sure that it was a good buy. I only wish that one had the 8.1L. I will let you know if I decide to pursue this.

Edited by Bcool
  • Like 1

Yes, please don't buy it!

That one is listed at 48 if we are looking at the same classifieds. So it wouldn't surprise me if 44 is all they are willing to go. Someone will be giggly over having a boat with so few hours and buy it.

30 hours on a 2007 boat. That works out to about 6 hours per year. I know that there are breakdowns with the car analogy, but if your average speed were 50 MPH, this boat would only have 1500 miles on it. I get concerned that you may be headed for some engine issues because those internals need to be lubricated regularly. It is too FEW of hours if you ask me. I think of the things I own that I have used for 6 hours per year....I would not spend a lot of time working on them or money to get them winterized. Even just letting it sit in a heated garage without being run takes some wear and tear. Although it looks pristine, I would be looking at that engine with a very skeptical eye.

I would also assume that the engine will run like crap the first time you take it out just because the gasoline in the tank has to be several years old. When was the last time the wedge actuators were deployed? They may freeze up soon...

Edited by TallRedRider
  • 2 weeks later...

I think those are pretty competitively priced. I owned a 2006 X45. Mine had the 8.1. If the Hammerhead isn't enough engine for the 247, the 6.0 liter probably is not enough for the X45. Although I think you could make do as long as you don't wakeboard with heavy weight over stock, and prop it down so you can't cruise more than 35 MPH.

I loved the X45, but I did like the 247 a little better. The 247 had a more consistent wakeboard wake. I swear that we set the X45 up the same 2 days in a row and would have troubles with the wake. With stock ballast the X45 was money, it was just when we went bigger it got inconsistent. The Malibu was not so sensitive to weight distribution.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my search continues. I found this boat that sounds like a good buy:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=36365505&cat=&lpid=&search=axis%20a22&ad_cid=1

But after further research it appears to be a rental outfit. I would assume that it would not be a good idea to buy a rental boat. The maintenance was probably done well on it but the wear would be much higher correct?

Well, my search continues. I found this boat that sounds like a good buy:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=36365505&cat=&lpid=&search=axis%20a22&ad_cid=1

But after further research it appears to be a rental outfit. I would assume that it would not be a good idea to buy a rental boat. The maintenance was probably done well on it but the wear would be much higher correct?

Not to mention that it probably has the 350 motor, which still leaves you with your power issue.

It's not a dog, but it's a 350. A22 hull is very similar to same vintage VLX, so if the 350 will get it done at your altitude with your weight and crew in a VLX it will probably be fine in an A22. At sea level it's more than enough for sure.

AFAIK, the Raptor 400 is basically the same motor as the hammerhead that was in the malibus (though I think the axis motor didn't have cats till 11 or 12?).