Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

It's not the jet ski's fault

Kalamazoo

I don't see what's wrong with this statement guys. "Safe and reasonable" may be subjective but as long as they are are at a "safe and reasonable distance" in my eyes, have at it. I also enjoy riding jet skis and my favorite thing to do is to jump wakes. Safe and reasonable is the key.

How about this. If I'm pulling my kids, "safe and reasonable" is someone else's wake.

I guess that the best option to avoid pesky litigation is to simply run over the PWC driver. But once he hits your skier, he's probably aware that you are after him and can out maneuver you.

So now we see that a shotgun is definitely the tool of choice here, not a pistol or that wimpy toy air "soft".

I agree that a flare across the bow would get anybody's attention, as was mentioned already. Those of us in coastal areas carry them in the boat all the time. Brandishing a flare gun is just the beginning of calling for help....

I brought up Brandishing a weapon because one sometimes does thing when involved in a stress or emotional state without understanding the outcome. With what we see in courts today things can come out much different the one my anticipate. And today toy or real guns can look so alike. I also have seen more the once a person brandish a gun and not know the outcome that they could face.

I brought up Brandishing a weapon because one sometimes does thing when involved in a stress or emotional state without understanding the outcome. With what we see in courts today things can come out much different the one my anticipate. And today toy or real guns can look so alike. I also have seen more the once a person brandish a gun and not know the outcome that they could face.

This is rule #1 when you have your CCW, you do not unhosteler your weapon unless you are going to use it.

• Like 3

It should be noted that we can't see earlier in the video, but if the jet ski had not turned in a while, the jet skiier had the right of way. Regardless, we're all out for fun, there is no need to get that close to anyone.

You can clearly see the path the jet ski took. Jet ski's fault for turning into a towed rider.

It should be noted that we can't see earlier in the video, but if the jet ski had not turned in a while, the jet skiier had the right of way. Regardless, we're all out for fun, there is no need to get that close to anyone.

Jet skiers never have right of way. The boat towing the rider had the right of way over the jet ski.

Brandishing a weapon is one thing.. Pointing it is another... Pointing it could be a 5 year felony charge in Michigan... Don't ask ??

Brandishing a weapon is one thing.. Pointing it is another... Pointing it could be a 5 year felony charge in Michigan... Don't ask ??

Or worse, someone mistakes the airsoft gun for a real one and points back....

Brandishing a weapon is one thing.. Pointing it is another... Pointing it could be a 5 year felony charge in Michigan... Don't ask

I am asking. Just the facts...no names! ha ha

...I get hatin on jetskiers, but if a jetskier jumps your wake 200' behind your rider & is heading in the opposite direction, you'd be in the wrong to think about shooting them with anything.

I think that was bennypepper's point a few pages ago. I just tried to PM him, and it looks like his account was deactivated. Strange.

I am asking. Just the facts...no names! ha ha

My lips are sealed. This was in a past life of mine. If I were to tell the story it would probably start like this ----> "It all started after a wild drunken gallivant in Canada" If you were a Detroiter as a kid, you probably spent a fair share of time across the pond in Windsor. 19 year old legal drinking age with fake i.d's... not a good combo!

But now I live my life like this guy

anger-management-reilly.jpg

I suspect I'm in the minority but reading this makes me happy to live in an area where the vast majority would never even think of bringing a firearm on a leisure boat trip.

Myself and well over half my boat owner friends carry a handgun on our boats. When i walk from the dock or ramp to our truck & trailers late at night I keep it hidden in a towel. A few of my friends walk with it in plain sight (at night) and game wardens know it's perfectly legal for us to do that in the state we live in. It's mainly for safety as sometimes groups of men are drinking, camping, or fishing on shore. On rare occasions they get mouthy but I've yet to have them get aggressive.

Edited by AJWest

If I'm cruising in the boat and you jump our waves...no big deal.

If I'm pulling a rider and you're jumping our waves...you and I are going to have a conversation no matter how safe of a distance you feel your are from my rider.

If I'm cruising in the boat and you jump our waves...no big deal.

If I'm pulling a rider and you're jumping our waves...you and I are going to have a conversation no matter how safe of a distance you feel your are from my rider.

So hypothetical situation..... your pulling a rider northbound at 20 mph. The jetskier heading SE jumps your wake 200' behind your rider, then keeps on going south at 15 - 40 mph. And your going to whip your boat around, accelerate to catch the jetskier & yell at them? All while your rider is on the line?? Edited by Bill_AirJunky

My lips are sealed. This was in a past life of mine. If I were to tell the story it would probably start like this ----> "It all started after a wild drunken gallivant in Canada" If you were a Detroiter as a kid, you probably spent a fair share of time across the pond in Windsor. 19 year old legal drinking age with fake i.d's... not a good combo!

But now I live my life like this guy

anger-management-reilly.jpg

I gotcha!! After a couple of summers fishing in AK, Kodiak has a ton of bars! Tried my hand at college. Washington STate U, and about 10 miles to Moscow, Idaho where the drinking age was 19!! LOTS of trips back to the hood having had a few tooo many!

So hypothetical situation..... your pulling a rider northbound at 20 mph. The jetskier heading SE jumps your wake 200' behind your rider, then keeps on going south at 15 - 40 mph. And your going to whip your boat around, accelerate to catch the jetskier & yell at them? All while your rider is on the line??

Where are you getting 200' from or is this a random number you're throwing out (most laws are 50' but that's too close). I doubt anyone is going to complain about a "sea flea" going the opposite direction you're pulling and jumping a wake "200ft" behind a rider that's not in danger since rider and jet ski are going opposite directions

Myself and well over half my boat owner friends carry a handgun on our boats. When i walk from the dock or ramp to our truck & trailers late at night I keep it hidden in a towel. A few of my friends walk with it in plain sight (at night) and game wardens know it's perfectly legal for us to do that in the state we live in. It's mainly for safety as sometimes groups of men are drinking, camping, or fishing on shore. On rare occasions they get mouthy but I've yet to have them get aggressive.

I appreciate your response and sharing what you and your friends do. You made my point for me. It's exactly what I appreciate being far away from (no offense intended).

• Like 3

wow! people carry guns on boats on inland lakes. This never crossed my mind. I have vary few hard rules on my boat (other than safety stuff) In addition to no smoking anywhere near me or my boat I'm going to add no guns of any kind. Not that this has been an issue.

• Like 2

Where are you getting 200' from or is this a random number you're throwing out (most laws are 50' but that's too close). I doubt anyone is going to complain about a "sea flea" going the opposite direction you're pulling and jumping a wake "200ft" behind a rider that's not in danger since rider and jet ski are going opposite directions

That's exactly the point that someone made earlier. Yet others go on about basically attacking the jetskier over it.

I had something similar happen to us a few years ago. I was driving, had a rider up. We get in a bit of a sticky situation where 3 or 4 boats are getting close together.... Maybe 50' or 60' from each other. I slow down a bit & maintain a somewhat straight, predictable line past it. No issues. A few minutes later a guy in one of the boats approaches us....at speed...and begins yelling at us. Of course I have no idea what his problem is but eventually stop & go back to our rider. He approaches us again, way too fast & has problems with all the boats wakes, which knocks over his kid in the boat who begins screaming. Finally we figure out that he's pissed because we didn't stop & yield to him. And that we're skiing clockwise around the lake. Both are rules he's made up & are not legitimate laws here. AND his reckless driving is jeopardizing us & his kid!

The point is that going after another boat to "have words" with them may or may not be in anyone's best interest. And like others here have already pointed out, there are situations where the jetskier has the right to jump the wake.....when it clearly is not jeopardizing anyone.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

That's exactly the point that someone made earlier. Yet others go on about basically attacking the jetskier over it.

I had something similar happen to us a few years ago. I was driving, had a rider up. We get in a bit of a sticky situation where 3 or 4 boats are getting close together.... Maybe 50' or 60' from each other. I slow down a bit & maintain a somewhat straight, predictable line past it. No issues. A few minutes later a guy in one of the boats approaches us....at speed...and begins yelling at us. Of course I have no idea what his problem is but eventually stop & go back to our rider. He approaches us again, way too fast & has problems with all the boats wakes, which knocks over his kid in the boat who begins screaming. Finally we figure out that he's pissed because we didn't stop & yield to him. And that we're skiing clockwise around the lake. Both are rules he's made up & are not legitimate laws here. AND his reckless driving is jeopardizing us & his kid!

The point is that going after another boat to "have words" with them may or may not be in anyone's best interest. And like others here have already pointed out, there are situations where the jetskier has the right to jump the wake.....when it clearly is not jeopardizing anyone.

Don't know about WA, but in MI it is the law to ride counter clockwise when possible around the lake. It certainly can create unsafe situations if folks are going both ways.

Yes, jet skiers have the right to enjoy themselves...not trying to ban them. there are too many cases when they've done unsafe maneuvers near my boat.