Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rear view camera

Ifinallygota21v

ahopkins22LSV

I agree that I figured t would be useless unless I drove the 25 all day two weekends ago. It makes it really easy to see people in the water when riders are getting in out. Especially on the 25 which is pretty blind behind the boat. I'd check the box.

$417 MSRP through Malibu.

Would it be possible to run multiple cameras through the command center with the ability to switch among them and record? Could be interesting.

$20 sounds better. Edited by Fman

$20 sounds better.

Darkman's install is not an option on the 23 LSV, at least not without drilling a big hole in the transom (kids play for some of you). The space that exists below the metal plate on a VLX or MXZ does not exist on the LSV.

0002361_2015-malibu-wakesetter-22-vlx.jp

digi53552252.jpg

Edited by IXFE

Cutting a hole in Fiberglass is actually very easy. Pick the spot you want done and tape the area over with masking tape. Take a hole saw and cut right through the tape into the glass. Have someone with a running vacuum on the inside of the boat sucking up the mess. The tape makes for a nice clean cut without chipping the glass.

I ran power from the batteries. I was running the video cable, and power cable anyway. I needed power for the relays for my auxiliary fill pumps.

Looks like a decent view for under 50 bucks. What type of cable did you have to use to get from camera to boat? Did you need an adapter

Darkman's install is not an option on the 23 LSV, at least not without drilling a big hole in the transom (kids play for some of you). The space that exists below the metal plate on a VLX or MXZ does not exist on the LSV.

0002361_2015-malibu-wakesetter-22-vlx.jp

digi53552252.jpg

Would it not fit where that remote transom stereo display is located? Where do they mount it from factory? It is very simple to drill a hole in fiberglass and run a wire to the glove box. Might take less than hour to install one.

If I buy one for next season that is what I will be doing.

Edited by Fman

Cutting a hole in Fiberglass is actually very easy. Pick the spot you want done and tape the area over with masking tape. Take a hole saw and cut right through the tape into the glass. Have someone with a running vacuum on the inside of the boat sucking up the mess. The tape makes for a nice clean cut without chipping the glass.

Exactly, drilled 3 thru hulls on outside of my friends MB. Not one issue with any of them. Measure 5 times, drill once.

Would it not fit where that remote transom stereo display is located? Where do they mount it from factory? It is very simple to drill a hole in fiberglass and run a wire to the glove box. Might take less than hour to install one.

If I buy one for next season that is what I will be doing.

From the factory on the 22 VLX, they mount the camera in the middle, just above the grab rail and below the rub rail.

post-30299-0-55132400-1450214871_thumb.j

Edited by mallen

Looks like a decent view for under 50 bucks. What type of cable did you have to use to get from camera to boat? Did you need an adapter

The camera comes with roughly a 16' cable. It was just a tad short for my use, so I bought a longer cable on amazon. Standard RCA video cable.

Sure, you can drill a hole in the fiberglass. My point was that if you have a VLX or MXZ you don't have to.

Darkside didn't drill a hole. His camera is well hidden in that void between the seats.

Would it not be better to have it below rub rail? To get a better view or see people in the water better? That pic above on the vlx has it mounted below rub rail, not in the void space where the beeper is locatee. Seems like below rub rail is a good spot for it.

Would it not be better to have it below rub rail? To get a better view or see people in the water better? That pic above on the vlx has it mounted below rub rail, not in the void space where the beeper is locatee. Seems like below rub rail is a good spot for it.

I think the factory installs them below, as you suggest. So maybe you're right. On the other hand, the lower you put it the more water will get on it, distorting the view.

IDK... Joe's works pretty well tucked inside that cubby. And I liked how easy his install was. I agree with him that it's a neat feature, but probably not worth drilling a hole. If I owned a '15 VLX or MXZ I'd do exactly what Joe did. If I still owned a '15 LSV, I probably wouldn't bother. If I was ordering a '16 I'd probably check the box without a second thought.... Oh wait, that's exactly what I did!

I would not go any lower. The camera is such a wide angle, (170). I still almost the entire platform. As IXFE noted the lower it is, the more water it will get on it. Have you ever mounted your gopro that low. It doesn't work out well, in my experience.

Esky EC170-11 no grid line version

I agree with slow frame rates. Still has cool factor, and you can see surfer at pull up, plus kids swimming.

Dark, where and how did you mount your camera? Dave said under the stainless panel where the 3 beeper is? maybe I missed it but do you have a pic of the install?

Even if I were ordering a '16 I would save $200-$300 and just install one myself for $20. I like projects so I am probably in the minority of doing things myself when possible. Is the camera Malibu uses above and beyond the $20 Amazon camera?

Edit: that camera gets 4.5 stars on Amazon, seems like a lot of people like them!

Edited by Fman

Fman,

I mounted mine in the center of the bilge blower vent. I peeled back the "seadeck" and bolted through the aluminum plate. I counter sunk the holes so the surface would remain flat. If you look at the transom pics IXFE posted, it is mounted in the center of the opening above the stickers.

Fairly easy install, purely plug not play no software updates or anything additional required.

Fman,

I mounted mine in the center of the bilge blower vent. I peeled back the "seadeck" and bolted through the aluminum plate. I counter sunk the holes so the surface would remain flat. If you look at the transom pics IXFE posted, it is mounted in the center of the opening above the stickers.

Fairly easy install, purely plug not play no software updates or anything additional required.

Is there a easy switched source for pulling power in the engine compartment to the camera. I don't want it wired directly to the battery.

Fman,

Yes, that makes total sense. I had to re attach my beeper last season and peeled back that sea deck. Malibu did not use nylock nuts on this for some reason and they came loose and beeper fell off.

Do you know what camera Malibu uses from the factory? Have you compared the $20 amazon camera to the Malibu camera?

• 3 weeks later...

Darkside,

How did you get the video to show in center of the main screen? I can only get mine to show when I hit the video tab but the rest of the screen is black.