Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Car Stereo Recommendation

RedOwl

Yes, but is somewhat controlled. I get it through Davis, but had to be approved as a vendor, and we have a rep that comes to the store. Not nearly the same as companies like Alpine or JL, but JL Audio is also sold through this distribution chain.

I am no further ahead now than I was before.

I called several local shops and they would only push their particular brand and trash the competition. I just want a stereo that works and doesn't take an electrical engineering degree to operate.\

Now that she has driven the car, my wife would like to install a reverse camera as well. Without a specific recommendation I will just fumble around online until I find something that works.

wow, that's frustrating (and unfortunately consistent with my experience too).

None of the install is really rocket science, but I can also understand not wanting to take it on yourself. Believe it or not I've been pretty impressed with the best buy install guys in my local store. The sales people not at all, but the install guys (who the sales guys try to cordon off so you don't talk to them) seem to do pretty decent basic work. Installing a double din HU with bluetooth and a backup camera in a GM full sized is probably one of the more common installs that they'd see.

Might be worth knocking on the window of the install bay and see whether they have any recommendations.

Another option would be to join a forum like diymobileaudio.com and see whether anyone there has a recommendation for a reputable installer who is local to you.

If you want a back up camera, you have to go with the video screen type units. Pioneer and Kenwood both offer low(er) cost units. Alpine is a bit pricier. If you like to have a volume knob, go Kenwood or some of the Alpines. All offer Bluetooth and back up camera integration, just ensure the one you get has the features you want. Some have HD radio or XM or at least XM capability. And then the ones that control Pandora and some do iPod better than Android and vice versa. Go to Crutchfield and look at some models, they have a nice compare feature. Read the reviews and see what people think about them.

Personally, I don't heat THAT well, so features/looks stand out to me more than perfect sound quality. I figure any of them will sound better than the archaic (and cheap to begin with) technology I currently employ. I'm leaning towards Kenwood right now.

So I managed to get my system installed this weekend. Seems to be working fine. Still working on sub & hpf settings.

Only issue is that I now have ignition noise when listening to FM. Guess I'll need one of those noise filters. I can't believe that piece isn't built in to every system by now.

I am no further ahead now than I was before.

I called several local shops and they would only push their particular brand and trash the competition. I just want a stereo that works and doesn't take an electrical engineering degree to operate.\

Now that she has driven the car, my wife would like to install a reverse camera as well. Without a specific recommendation I will just fumble around online until I find something that works.

I dont want to start a debate on whether or not the products were pushed or suggested, but let me please ask, what are your concerns with the products there were mentioned? Did any come up with a workable solution?

So you went to a shop, and they tried to sell you what they sell?

I spoke with multiple shops that attempted to sell me a product by pointing out the negatives of other products. I have no brand loyalty. My budget is flexible and my product expectations are fairly basic. If you're attempting to insinuate that I was being picky, naive or biased against 'the local guy' I think perhaps you're reading more into my statement than is actually there.

I have no dog in this fight - I am just looking for an easy solution to what I assumed was a common problem/need. I started this thread looking for a few product recommendations from people with hands-on experience (and I did receive some - thank you all for that). I hold no ill-will for online or brick and mortar retailers. I am happy to pay for local advice (I frequently do), but none of the places I went made me feel confident in their abilities or products.

This is a < $1,000 project and I had zero intention of turning a molehill into a mountain when I started this thread.

Edited by RedOwl

I dont want to start a debate on whether or not the products were pushed or suggested, but let me please ask, what are your concerns with the products there were mentioned? Did any come up with a workable solution?

It boiled down to different shops/salesmen telling me I needed different components/solutions to get what I wanted from my system. Some told me I needed to just accept that I would lose my factory amp. Some told me there was an easy solution but my budget would be busted. Some told me they could create a work-around but I'd be better off just overhauling my entire system because the Bose system 'just isn't that good'.

As referenced above, I was also frequently met with people telling me that other brands (that they didn't sell) would not meet my needs no matter what I did - which didn't make me feel confident in the rest of the advice they provided.

I realize that some prefer Chevy and some prefer Ford, but at the end of the day I can't stand it when someone says the "other brand" won't even drive down the road and perform the basic duties of a vehicle.

Edited by RedOwl

No different than this forum. Beware of the "pros" who lurk here.

In that case beware of "everyone" who lurks here. Go ahead and lump us all together IXFE, totally cool.

I've never bashed another brand in my 25 year sales career. One: it's not professional and like Red Owl said it puts a question mark in a customer's head about your integrity. Two: I never really cared to learn enough about other peoples' products to intelligently make an argument against them. I deal with product every day that I know and trust. I'll tell you what it does and why/how, and you can make a more informed decision from there.

Red Owl:

I use older Pioneer F90BT navs in my vehicles because of the price, volume knob, and the GPS and BT are easy to use. Simple as that. I don't like buttons for volume and I never have, so I was willing to give up screen size for a knob. The iPod search function is a bit tedious because it's page by page, especially when I use the 160GB. I haven't put my hands on the new NEX series to see how they act. Take your iPod/MP3 into a shop and ask them to plug you in and leave you alone for a bit. If you like it the NEX5100 should easily be within your budget including Bose/OnStar/steering wheel/chime adapter. Alpine has a great iPod interface with their click-wheel units, but don't see a GPS unit from them with a knob.

I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH KENWOOD OR CLARION SO I CAN'T COMMENT ON THEM, but they would be the others I would check out now that I'm not locked into certain brands.

If you have a smart phone that you'd prefer to use for it's GPS apps the Parrot Asteroid Smart is another one that has been on my radar, but I haven't gotten hands on it yet. Parrot makes great stuff and much of the BT product on the market is licensed from them. The App radios came out after I was gone, but that would be one of the first ones I'd check out.

Edit: If you see something you might like and don't want to deal with the shop that carries it there are hundreds of review sites and YouTube video reviews on just about every product out there. Some are pretty honest and you may catch something that you really like or dislike to help your decision.

Edited by jk13
  • Like 2

RedOwl,

I'm frustrated just hearing about it.

I get frustrated shopping for cars. But when I finally find the sales associate that I trust and feel comfortable with, I'm buying.

I respect someone who knows his product as well as his competitors and can use that knowledge to place you on the right path. But from hear it is hard to discern whether those dealers are just using a negative sell or telling you something you need to hear.

Maybe a change of tact is in order with more emphasis on policy and less on a specific brand of product.

There has to be several well known products that can work.

By now you should have a reasonably solid wish list. You should be going to one store for everything making them 100% accountable with no wiggle room. That store should be able to guarantee that they can satisfy your needs with their solution and if there is a subsequent problem they will change out gear at no charge until it meets with your satisfaction. If they hesitate to commit, then move on.

It boiled down to different shops/salesmen telling me I needed different components/solutions to get what I wanted from my system. Some told me I needed to just accept that I would lose my factory amp. Some told me there was an easy solution but my budget would be busted. Some told me they could create a work-around but I'd be better off just overhauling my entire system because the Bose system 'just isn't that good'.

As referenced above, I was also frequently met with people telling me that other brands (that they didn't sell) would not meet my needs no matter what I did - which didn't make me feel confident in the rest of the advice they provided.

I realize that some prefer Chevy and some prefer Ford, but at the end of the day I can't stand it when someone says the "other brand" won't even drive down the road and perform the basic duties of a vehicle.

Tell me again (sorry) exactly what you want? All in one post to refresh.

Tell me again (sorry) exactly what you want? All in one post to refresh.

Double-DIN head-unit (video capable for the addition of a rear-view camera)

Bluetooth connectivity for phone and streaming music

The ability to retain steering wheel controls and other OEM chimes

Idiot-proof operation

No required overhaul of the remaining system (GMC Bose speakers, amps, etc)

Sorry your trip to the dealers weren't successful. You were given information in most of these posts from "lurking pros" that have experience in this industry that should've helped with some of their comments.

You DONT lose the Bose amp

Steering wheel controls ARE retained through the interface module, along with On-Star, door chimes, RSE, and a bunch of other features.

Not having Bluetooth is rare these days, most will have it.

Almost all with a display screen have the ability to connect a rear-view camera.

As for the brand loyalty thing, it's not about brand. To me it's about something working right and there are 2 brands that I previously carried that I don't carry anymore. They both had software or connectivity issues that led to customer complaints. On some, Bluetooth didn't work as well as the other "brand". 1 brand's user interface is the same on most head units, so they'll essentially have the same problems. The brands that I've continued with, operate like I expect them to. If you walked into my place asking about 1 of the 2 previous brands, I'd only pass along the experience I have with them that led to ultimately not handling them anymore. It's not a brand loyalty thing, it's about holding the product up to it's expectations.

I tried to paste in a link but I guess I'm not doing it right. The interface module (1 of many) that you can look at is the Pac-Audio RP5-GM11. Their website is www.pac-audio.com

Following Jonyb's post, he has given two of the better options which do cost more. Look into those brands or choose one you prefer? local gives you support normally, so when you purchase local make sure they have a swap out policy for at least the first 30 days and a manufacturer warranty after. Sadly he is correct that we (owner/operator/installers) are very few and far apart. You may not have a "reputable" dealer in your town but a town over?

Watch where you purchase products as they can be lower quality stock online, as in "b" stock or worse refurbished passed as new. Local shops carry either direct or through a authorized distributor, this ensures at least the manufacturer's warranty. That way you can send it back to the manufacturer knowing it's genuine. It's like buying a Movado online (only 3 authorized) vs. a local dealer, your getting a savings from old or non genuine product. At least your local dealer you know is authorized to re-sell the product and Movado will work on your product if something occurs. If not, they send it back and won't touch it.

Now if this doesn't bother you as it doesn't others, roll the dice?

So my suggestion is of what I carry also... In no particular order..

Sony XAV68BT for basic but everything you stated and retains a knob- upgrade to the xav602BT for app remote and smartphone connectivity.

Kenwood DDX372BT basic if you want to take the Bluetooth connectivity chance, I havnt had one but I don't install 3 a week either...

Alpine is Alpine let's face it... You pay a premium for the name and the product. Love Alpine, non have a volume knob if that's your cup of tea though...

Pioneer APP radio is nice, Pioneer is everywhere, they offer updates for their product. Please be careful of the Internet deal price guys, these units have had some issues ( CD and screen blanks out) when brought to me. Although I have not had a issue with any I've sold. Lucky or genuine product? You decide... I have been with Pioneer the longest of all these brands and do "push" the AVIC series. ALL these will do what you ask and more...

So read your thread a couple times, digest the info and ask any questions?

Edited by Truekaotik

Following Jonyb's post, he has given two of the better options which do cost more. Look into those brands or choose one you prefer? local gives you support normally, so when you purchase local make sure they have a swap out policy for at least the first 30 days and a manufacturer warranty after. Sadly he is correct that we (owner/operator/installers) are very few and far apart. You may not have a "reputable" dealer in your town but a town over?

Watch where you purchase products as they can be lower quality stock online, as in "b" stock or worse refurbished passed as new. Local shops carry either direct or through a authorized distributor, this ensures at least the manufacturer's warranty. That way you can send it back to the manufacturer knowing it's genuine. It's like buying a Movado online (only 3 authorized) vs. a local dealer, your getting a savings from old or non genuine product. At least your local dealer you know is authorized to re-sell the product and Movado will work on your product if something occurs. If not, they send it back and won't touch it.

Now if this doesn't bother you as it doesn't others, roll the dice?

So my suggestion is of what I carry also... In no particular order..

Sony XAV68BT for basic but everything you stated and retains a knob- upgrade to the xav602BT for app remote and smartphone connectivity.

Kenwood DDX372BT basic if you want to take the Bluetooth connectivity chance, I havnt had one but I don't install 3 a week either...

Alpine is Alpine let's face it... You pay a premium for the name and the product. Love Alpine, non have a volume knob if that's your cup of tea though...

Pioneer APP radio is nice, Pioneer is everywhere, they offer updates for their product. Please be careful of the Internet deal price guys, these units have had some issues ( CD and screen blanks out) when brought to me. Although I have not had a issue with any I've sold. Lucky or genuine product? You decide... I have been with Pioneer the longest of all these brands and do "push" the AVIC series. ALL these will do what you ask and more...

I sell a lot of the Sony 68bt and 602bt myself. Pretty decent radios for the price.

As for alpine, the volume controls aren't bad. I understand the want for a knob, but you'll have steering wheel controls too. They're discontinuing the I've-w530 next year, and it had a knob. The next step is an I've-w555bt.

Hopefully you can find someone reputable that has those. I like for people to come in my place and press the buttons to make sure it's what they want. It's almost like test driving a car.

I sell a lot of the Sony 68bt and 602bt myself. Pretty decent radios for the price.

As for alpine, the volume controls aren't bad. I understand the want for a knob, but you'll have steering wheel controls too. They're discontinuing the I've-w530 next year, and it had a knob. The next step is an I've-w555bt.

Hey guys, how are the iPod interfaces on the Sony and Alpine? Page by page?

When the iPod first came out I know they product-shared with Alpine for the tactile click wheel technology so Alpine got the first full speed interfaces. BUT we also heard rumor at one point that Alpine was working on a touch screen click-wheel and/or a full speed iPod touch simulator...did that ever come about?

Edited by jk13