Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine struggled after de-winterizing

4 minutes ago, jbower said:

Not sure if it is adjustable but typically they need set 

I only remember two bolts and no adjustment. Even if it was adjustable or needed to be set, doesn't really explain why it works after a few minutes when the engine starts to warm up. 

It does seem like the problems are related to how much water is in the engine. I'll start a new thread and try to compress the details. 

I don't think water in the engine has anything to do with the problem. I think you just need to go back to the basics there is not much that make these boats run. Plugs wires cap rotor how does the distributor look under the cap? I mean there is honestly limited things it could be 

53 minutes ago, jbower said:

I don't think water in the engine has anything to do with the problem. I think you just need to go back to the basics there is not much that make these boats run. Plugs wires cap rotor how does the distributor look under the cap? I mean there is honestly limited things it could be 

I just took pictures of the cap and rotor. Looks like a little buildup on the caps terminals and lots of nastiness on the base attaching plate. I could maybe see the buildup on the terminals being an issue so I scraped it off and will run the boat tomorrow to see. I can't see the base plate causing any issues despite how nasty it is though. 

IMG_20160410_195102_zpsxsxzte8n.jpg

IMG_20160410_195113_zpsqwksnbiz.jpg

24 minutes ago, jbower said:

How about around the ignition module how does it look 

How old are the plug wires. You may ohm them and see if they are all equal

Has rusty screws holding it down but the connections look fine. 

Couple of things.  Did you replace the correct temp sensor, the one that goes to the MEFI, not the one that goes to the gauge?  When you replace the knock sensor, you shouldn't use Teflon tape.

By the way, I had a couple sensors go bad on mine, so I just replaced all  of them with auto parts store versions.

And if you really want to know what the MEFI is doing with the ignition timing, you can remove the engine cover, sit in the locker, and watch with a timing light while someone else is driving wide open (I've done it).

4 minutes ago, MadMan said:

Couple of things.  Did you replace the correct temp sensor, the one that goes to the MEFI, not the one that goes to the gauge?  When you replace the knock sensor, you shouldn't use Teflon tape.

By the way, I had a couple sensors go bad on mine, so I just replaced all  of them with auto parts store versions.

And if you really want to know what the MEFI is doing with the ignition timing, you can remove the engine cover, sit in the locker, and watch with a timing light while someone else is driving wide open (I've done it).

No Teflon tape on the knock sensor but it has some rust colored stuff on the threads that came with it so I assume that stuff is fine. 

I replaced the temp sensor on top with the yellow and black wires. Does another one exist? 

Gotcha. There is the possibility that the knock sensor isn't grounding due to excessive rust. I don't remember how much rust was in the threads but it's a drain hole so could be a lot.... I'll try to check tomorrow.