Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 - G Killer?

Dan Cummins

So funny all this talk about tower speakers hitting heads.  I never even knew that was a consideration til last weekend.  Makes sense though.  I suppose the tall people will just have to whine once a year :)

On 7/25/2016 at 2:29 PM, kerpluxal said:

the surf wave is tremendously better than the G...  :(

Meh...to each his own I suppose.  They are different for sure but I wouldn't call one superior to the other in any way. 

Edited by bamaboy
  • Like 2
Just now, bamaboy said:

So funny all this talk about tower speakers hitting heads.  I never even knew that was a consideration til last weekend.  

Meh...to each his own I suppose.  They are different for sure but I wouldn't call one superior to the other in any way. 

To each his own is positively correct :) .... If everybody had the same desire... they would all be very similar... for me... I preferred the M wave.... do not like the g wave at all... but that is all preference and everybody has a different preference :cheers:

7 hours ago, bamaboy said:

So funny all this talk about tower speakers hitting heads.  I never even knew that was a consideration til last weekend.  Makes sense though.  I suppose the tall people will just have to whine once a year :)

You must be at least this tall to buy the "M"

On 7/26/2016 at 10:15 AM, Raimie said:

Cool, thanks for that shot. How about when it's folded? Does it sit across the top bar on the tower or below?

That is an older tower.  The bimini on my boat (newer tower) doesn't angle down as aggressively.  That being said...it is still low.

3 minutes ago, wakedncsu said:

That is an older tower.  The bimini on my boat (newer tower) doesn't angle down as aggressively.  That being said...it is still low.

Thanks. I have a 2014, same as BlknYlw

ahopkins22LSV
9 hours ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

Just a bunch of malibu fan boys and G haters and whiners about speakers too low.    If I had the cash the G23 in MHO is the wake boat I would buy.  The interior of the boat, the styling, the functionality is incredible.  I was surprised at how comfortable the block style interior was.  I could have slept on it.   

To me this boat was designed to truly be a wake/surf boat not a surf/wake boat and Not just a giant luxury item.  The best features to me are no extra ballast is needed,  no PNP needed, storage is huge.  In fact extra weight made the surf wave worse.   Maybe we needed more weight forward but we gave up and went back to surfing stock.   Also the fact you can turn into any surf wave with no fear, and the handling and power of the boat Was never an issue    In fact it felt like I was going slower than normal.    It was strange  

The wakeboard wake was perfect full ballast at 22-23mph wake was clean with a nice transition.   I felt like I was going much slower at these speeds then normally. I am not sure weather it was the silent exhaust or what but it was incredibly smooth   

The G is Awsome    That is all  

Have you boarded or surfed behind a 25 or an M yet?

I completely agree that it was an awesome boat, but just curious. 

Also I feel like Nautique put that offing and vinyl on the underside of the tower for a reason :crazy: 

13 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Have you boarded or surfed behind a 25 or an M yet?

I completely agree that it was an awesome boat, but just curious. 

Also I feel like Nautique put that offing and vinyl on the underside of the tower for a reason :crazy: 

In full disclosure I have not boarded behind a 25 or an M.  

The build quality, set up, and design, and features of the Malibu's remains pretty consistent model to model, besides the M which is considerably more than a G.  

I am sure they both throw great waves,  but they also require PNP if I am not mistaken.  To me its like walking in to large sq. ft house and you say wow lots of space.  Then you walk into a slightly smaller house but it has solid wood doors and trim, top notch windows, cabinets, thoughtful placement of outlets, water lines, etc.  

For me my top priority would not be to find the best surf wave, the G has other features that I prefer over Malibu.  The G's wave was very good, and frankly I thought it had to much push, as I was on my back foot the entire time,  It was an effort to get back in the wave. 

I would choose a G sorry hop but I also care more about wakeboarding than surfing.     

Edited by Chrisjjbrown

I could see how you could add some extra weight here and there and improve the wave but its totally not worth it or necessary.  Maybe what?  5% better?  Who cares?  Right now you can rock out a world class wave with all sub floor ballast for both boarding and surfing. 

And best of all, you run 3200 RPM fully ballasted and surfing.  Weren't you running 4200 RPM on the 25 LSV when surfing Hopkins?  That is ridiculous

Edited by bamaboy

This always comes up.  No extra ballast needed!  Yet MOST albeit not all run PNP in thier G.  Having bags in your rear lockers is basically something you should expect, no matter which boat you choose,  if you want to surf!  

I am not saying wave is not surfable without extra weight,  but surfing require displacement!

I also see the value of subfloor,  I use lead to avoid having bags in the bow,  etc.  Just PNP, and bomb wake, for me.

1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

This always comes up.  No extra ballast needed!  Yet MOST albeit not all run PNP in thier G.  Having bags in your rear lockers is basically something you should expect, no matter which boat you choose,  if you want to surf!  

I am not saying wave is not surfable without extra weight,  but surfing require displacement!

I also see the value of subfloor,  I use lead to avoid having bags in the bow,  etc.  Just PNP, and bomb wake, for me.

I disagree......We put 750's in the locker of the g and the wave was horrible and almost unsurfable. 

It was much better with no weight in the lockers. 

3 hours ago, DarkSide said:

You're wrong. Definitely not the case with the 2016.

Perhaps this is the case with the old G23.  In fact, I wasn't a big fan of the wave on the old G.  The new hull is amazing.  The boat requires ZERO additional ballast.  But I suppose you would know better than a group of guys that have ridden dozens of surf waves and just spent all weekend surfing the G23.

Edited by bamaboy
  • Like 1

M235 doesn't require PnP either guys. Just cuz guys do it doesn't make it required

@UpperleftWake ran the M235 with stock hard tanks. Pretty sure he has pics. 

Not disagreeing with the G23 making a great surf wave on stock tanks only. I haven't tried it (wish I could have made the reunion), but enough guys I respect tell me this is the case so I'm a believer. Is it better than the M235 w/out PnP...?  I have no clue.  Probably personal preference, splitting hairs, yada yada. 

• Like 2

What I am trying to convey is NO boat comes at its 100% best, straight from the factory.   As expensive as these toys are, I  personally want to get the absolute peak performance out of it.  

Again I am not saying stock is bad, but there is always room for improvement.  Also as has been noted best is very subjective.  What I like, nay not be what others like.  Fortunately there are different boats for different folks.  The manufacturers competing is what makes the industry as a whole better.

I have said repeatedly G is an awesome boat,  just not my cup of Kool aid. 

ahopkins22LSV
12 hours ago, bamaboy said:

I could see how you could add some extra weight here and there and improve the wave but its totally not worth it or necessary.  Maybe what?  5% better?  Who cares?  Right now you can rock out a world class wave with all sub floor ballast for both boarding and surfing. 

And best of all, you run 3200 RPM fully ballasted and surfing.  Weren't you running 4200 RPM on the 25 LSV when surfing Hopkins?  That is ridiculous

Yes it was at 4100. It was high for sure. But I have no idea what prop they were running. I didn't calculate the exact gas usage but it didn't seem terrible. $125 worth of fuel at $2.80 for 7-8 hours. Maybe that's a bit high but seems to be pretty close to what most surf boats get when loaded really heavy, which we were.

If I didn't say it in my first post I meant to, the drivetrain in the 2016 G was very nice. I do agree Malibu needs to look at a 2:1 trans with a 17" prop like Nautique uses.

Doesnt a part of you wish you could still add weight if you wanted to? Curiosity would get the best of me sooner or later. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
1 hour ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Yes it was at 4100. It was high for sure. But I have no idea what prop they were running. I didn't calculate the exact gas usage but it didn't seem terrible. $125 worth of fuel at $2.80 for 7-8 hours. Maybe that's a bit high but seems to be pretty close to what most surf boats get when loaded really heavy, which we were.

If I didn't say it in my first post I meant to, the drivetrain in the 2016 G was very nice. I do agree Malibu needs to look at a 2:1 trans with a 17" prop like Nautique uses.

Doesnt a part of you wish you could still add weight if you wanted to? Curiosity would get the best of me sooner or later. 

And that's the single drawback for me on the G.  They tout so much deep storage every where but there's only so many bumpers, anchors, jackets, and misc gear that I want to carry and keep up with.  I'd like to utilize the extra space for ballast and actually see some measurable gains from it.  I'm still not a fan of the whole M brand but I'll admit that from what I've seen and read the ceiling has yet to be found on the M.  The G ceiling is found on day 1.

ahopkins22LSV
Just now, DarkSide said:

@ahopkinsTXi yourr 2:1 and 17" prop wish is granted.  That is the base configuration on the 17 24MXZ 

Ah nice! I mean I don't really care personally because my drivetrain in my TXi is a stump puller. :biggrin: To be honest. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

I guess I don't understand what you mean by this.....

He means that if the wake is at its best with stock ballast, then that is the ceiling.

The M (or some other boat) might be good with stock ballast (maybe the same, maybe slightly better, maybe slightly worse), but that it gets better with plug and play and allows you to explore making it bigger.

11 hours ago, IXFE said:

M235 doesn't require PnP either guys. Just cuz guys do it doesn't make it required

Who orders an M without PNP?  It's basically required.

12 hours ago, DarkSide said:

Here is the recipe for a 2016 G23,  posted by @TenTwentyOne.  I have great respect for his opinion as he has set up several different boats.

He suggests 1100 pounds over stock ballast.  2 400's and 300...

Out of the dozen or so people that I have seen on PN that run a 2016 G23, this is first I have seen or heard of running even close to that weight.  In fact, I talked with 1021 personally and he doesn't run this heavy of weight.  Or at least he didn't say he did.  I think he runs a bit extra scattered around but certainly not 2200 lbs extra on last check.  Maybe 1021 can chime in on this.  Perhaps he is running heavy weight and just didn't tell me.  IDK.

Edited by bamaboy
14 hours ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

I disagree......We put 750's in the locker of the g and the wave was horrible and almost unsurfable. 

It was much better with no weight in the lockers. 

With any boat look the stock ballast configuration and go from there, there's a reason the front ballast is 950# in G. You can't just throw 1500# in the trunk and expect good results, sure stock is better than that. Mine's the first gen hull and have 500# lead mid ship, mostly to level prop torque wakeboarding, but leave it the same for surf. FYI - I've run those same Leadwake bags in every boat I've owned the last 8 years. Above that I've only added people and everything gets better, not sure where the ceiling is...just having fun!