Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 - G Killer?

Dan Cummins

3 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

Nice smooth transitions... no double lip..

That is one thing that a whole lot of wake surfers want. Anyone doing airs, and riding surf style, likes that kick 3/4 of the way up the wave. No need for it with skim riding, but doesn't hurt anything for skim IMO anyway. 

And from what I have heard, the M235 is capable of laying down that double lip if you want it too. That was a big thing that wakeboard mag raved about with the M.

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

How high off the floor are those rectangular things next to the speakers? 

I'd guess about 6'6" +....

those are the Bimini brackets. I have never seen anyone get close to hitting those. Only the tower speakers, and more so the round JLs. If you are 6'4" or less, you will clear the 6x9 focal towers, but the JLs hang down another 4 inches on the 7.7s and like 5.5" on the 8.8s.

Edited by TenTwentyOne

I demoed the G 23/H6 last week and just didn't like the performance of the boat.  Going into the demo I was set on getting one.  The surf wave was short and had a steep transition.  I would like more time with it.  It was not better than my 22 VLX with plug and play.  The performance fully weighted was slow to plain.  Even empty it just didn't respond well to steering input.  The tower height, board racks, and bimini design could use some work.  The surf boards hit the speakers when swiveled in. With all that said, I still want to give it one more try before I give up on it.   I love the interior design.  Now on to testing out the X23.  My wife likes it better.  If the X23 doesn't work we will try another Malibu.

ahopkins22LSV
13 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

That is one thing that a whole lot of wake surfers want. Anyone doing airs, and riding surf style, likes that kick 3/4 of the way up the wave. No need for it with skim riding, but doesn't hurt anything for skim IMO anyway. 

And from what I have heard, the M235 is capable of laying down that double lip if you want it too. That was a big thing that wakeboard mag raved about with the M.

I'd guess about 6'6" +....

those are the Bimini brackets. I have never seen anyone get close to hitting those. Only the tower speakers, and more so the round JLs. If you are 6'4" or less, you will clear the 6x9 focal towers, but the JLs hang down another 4 inches on the 7.7s and like 5.5" on the 8.8s.

The G I was on had 4 of the 6x9's and I did not clear them. Not even close. 

1 minute ago, Excel516 said:

I demoed the G 23/H6 last week and just didn't like the performance of the boat.  Going into the demo I was set on getting one.  The surf wave was short and had a steep transition.  I would like more time with it.  It was not better than my 22 VLX with plug and play.  The performance fully weighted was slow to plain.  Even empty it just didn't respond well to steering input.  The tower height, board racks, and bimini design could use some work.  The surf boards hit the speakers when swiveled in. With all that said, I still want to give it one more try before I give up on it.   I love the interior design.  Now on to testing out the X23.  My wife likes it better.  If the X23 doesn't work we will try another Malibu.

When you demo again, don't stick with the stock surf settings. Set NCRS at 2-3, NSS at 0, and speed at 11.5-11.7. Will lay down a much longer wave and mellow it out a bit. Run the boat level. Don't make everyone sit on the surf side. Just let them spread out wherever. 

I have no doubt that a G handles like a pig compared to your VLX. Wait till you drive the X23 loaded. It's even more piggish. All these new jumbo sized 23'ers are going to feel sluggish and slow compared to a 22VLX.

17 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

The G I was on had 4 of the 6x9's and I did not clear them. Not even close. 

So...... I'm reading this post, and I says to myself "hmm, I've never known Ahop to BS about anything. I better take my foot out of my mouth and go measure this stuff.".... Here is the deal.....

My 2016 from floor-

7.7" JLs = 5'10"

8.8" JLs = 5'8"

bimini brackets = 6'5" at high point and 6'2" at low point

bimini brace and front edge = 5'11"

center of tower frame where you walk through = 6'4"

My buddy's 2013 G

6x9s = 6'0"

sewlong bimini low point - 6'4"

Tower frame is same as my 2016

For fun, I measured my buddy's mondo because it happens to be parked here..... 5'1" to the bottom of tower speakers, and 5'11" to tower in the center portion. That tower is super low. Even I bang my head on the speakers constantly, just standing up from the seats.

Apologies, Ahop. I was going off memory from when I ordered my tower speakers last year, and I was totally wrong.

Edited by TenTwentyOne
  • Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
4 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

So...... I'm reading this post, and I says to myself "hmm, I've never known Ahop to BS about anything. I better take my foot out of my mouth and go measure this stuff.".... Here is the deal.....

My 2016 from floor-

7.7" JLs = 5'10"

8.8" JLs = 5'8"

bimini brackets = 6'5" at high point and 6'2" at low point

bimini brace and front edge = 5'11"

center of tower frame where you walk through = 6'4"

My buddy's 2013 G

6x9s = 6'0"

sewlong bimini low point - 6'4"

rest is same as my 2016

For fun, I measured my buddy's mondo because it happens to be parked here..... 5'1" to the bottom of tower speakers, and 5'11" to tower in the center portion. That tower is super low. Even I bang my head on the speakers constantly, just standing up from the seats.

Apologies, Ahop. I was going off memory from when I ordered my tower speakers last year, and I was totally wrong.

Haha no worries, but I do have a large gash on my head that I was getting ready to take a picture of to prove it ;) 

And no not really. I spend enough time on my friends prostar that has a tower and even on boats that I know I clear the tower I catch myself ducking. 

Oh and you clearly don't know we well enough yet to say I don't BS about stuff :lol:. But I love boating in general so I always try to give honest opinions on other boats. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
  • Like 1

Wow, even my daughter couldn't walk under most of those speaker options. That 6ft 2 bimini bracket would be a skull buster for my son.  Full disclosure there are no speakers on my tower, I'm sure if there were that they would be too low.

Just now, oldjeep said:

Wow, even my daughter couldn't walk under most of those speaker options. That 6ft 2 bimini bracket would be a skull buster for my son.  Full disclosure there are no speakers on my tower, I'm sure if there were that they would be too low.

I'm 5'8" and have never hit a tower speaker in my boat but just because of the placement of them off center. Occasionally we have a 6'er + hit their head. Nobody has hit the Bimini brackets but plenty have hit the cross bar. The Bimini brackets would hurt but their placement keeps them from being in the way. That's another reason I like the sewlong Bimini. I wish I had it. It is way higher than the Nautique Bimini 

That does seem low, I'm grateful how tall/high my tower is. Even w/ my Icon's I can walk under them at 5'10" and only feel my hair get brushed if I need a cut, lol. But I only went with one pair of speakers partially for that reason, I was worried about people hitting their heads on the middle pair.

That was one of my favorite features of the M235, I can walk under the center pair,  it touches my hair, but there is not an imminent concussion.  BTW, I  still hit my head on center pair on '17 24 MXZ....

TenTwentyOne that sounds like Drew Danielo surf settings.  I have been researching.  My 22 VLX has the LS3 for extra performance in the smaller boat.  I can't afford the 550 in the bigger boats so they all might feel sluggish.  DarkSide we are wanting more room.  Bigger cooler, place for fenders when bags are full. All the little stuff that adds up.  Malibu has a great tower setup that we love.  We also have a great surf wave that I won't give up.  

• Like 2

You might want to add the 24 MXZ to that list.   Same price range as G23/x23, bigger boat,  more storage, the '17 has 17" prop and 2:1 so the base 450, will likely get the job done. 

2 hours ago, Excel516 said:

I really don't understand the performance concern you experienced, where are you located? My G23 is a '14/450 and I demoed a '16 '/ H6 and they were very similar; I don't know that I could tell them apart. We wakeboard a lot and this boat gets to 23.5 faster than any boat I've ever owned. It does not make any difference at surf speeds, but if you demo again be sure the NCRS plate is turned on/auto. As far as the bimini and brackets, height is no issue and I deploy almost every outing it's so easy. I had it removed  on that last pic while modifying my shed to not have to drop the tower. 

Reason to post another pic showing the bracket height to the speakers. 9B673FF4-9C8A-4BD7-B73F-0E5CC1AD21F9_zps

17 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

You might want to add the 24 MXZ to that list.   Same price range as G23/x23, bigger boat,  more storage, the '17 has 17" prop and 2:1 so the base 450, will likely get the job done. 

I agree, this boat should do well and hopefully stay well below the M235 pricing. 

1 hour ago, thtrog said:

I agree, this boat should do well and hopefully stay well below the M235 pricing. 

It should be below, unless you start going crazy and checking all the boxes.  I have no doubt you could get one of these bad boys over 200k msrp.   Fully loaded 575, G4, quad racks, full factory stereo, lots of flake, etc 200k all day....

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

My hubs is 6'5" and his requirement for me getting to order the T22 was no speakers. He constantly hit his head on my previous boats speakers and it drove him crazy. Small compromise to get what I wanted. I am thinking about adding a bimini and I am not sure how that will effect it....

11 hours ago, Raimie said:

My hubs is 6'5" and his requirement for me getting to order the T22 was no speakers. He constantly hit his head on my previous boats speakers and it drove him crazy. Small compromise to get what I wanted. I am thinking about adding a bimini and I am not sure how that will effect it....

It won't effect anything in the rear but because of the angle he would definitely hit his head near the bow. 

16873B68-8A47-4DB9-AC71-1D3C7872911D_zps

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, BlknYlwT22 said:

It won't effect anything in the rear but because of the angle he would definitely hit his head near the bow. 

Cool, thanks for that shot. How about when it's folded? Does it sit across the top bar on the tower or below?

37 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

That is such a beautiful boat!  Love the black n yellow!

Thank you sir!

32 minutes ago, Raimie said:

Cool, thanks for that shot. How about when it's folded? Does it sit across the top bar on the tower or below?

It simply sits across the cross bar. 

5E094E34-9933-4EA0-90BE-E142CC857376_zps

Sorry for hijacking the mack daddy thread with pictures of my Axis :innocent:

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, BlknYlwT22 said:

Thank you sir!

It simply sits across the cross bar. 

5E094E34-9933-4EA0-90BE-E142CC857376_zps

Sorry for hijacking the mack daddy thread with pictures of my Axis :innocent:

Sure.. just gotta plug that T22 with a sick stereo and show it off.. too bad you only surf behind it.  I was hoping after a day with me you would be back on a board however, I don't think that is the case. :)