Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 - G Killer?

Dan Cummins

3 hours ago, wheelman said:

I was talking with Don, Ron, and Gord when the boat was in transit and Don was saying they never ordered it and told Malibu to take it back. As the story goes he negotiated a better discount on it and ended up taking it. Don was able to negotiate much better discounts off nautiques than Malibu this year when our dollar sank. Edmonton boat show should be the true judge of things seeing as it's the only show they have nautiqe and Malibu there. 

Makes sense, I figured that nautique had to sweeten the pot alittle. But from what I saw in the booth on Saturday nautique looked to be drawing more attention.

1 hour ago, TallRedRider said:

I have found that dealers often call it 'dealer cost' when they get to a number that is their bottom line, not necessarily what most of us would call 'dealer cost'.  That way, we won't even try to get the price down any farther.    He probably factored in his costs on the boat acquisition and some profit as well.   I believe boat dealers routinely lie about their dealer cost.  

I am too lazy to go back 25 pages or whatever, but IIRC your cost analysis would have said a selling cost of 151K USD would be a very good deal for an M235 depending on the options and trailer chosen.  

I agree.   But I do think the G was never really the most 'blinged out' boat on the water.  I look at my rectangular seats and pretty standard stitching and the G is really sort of utilitarian.  It is very comfortable and had the first terrific rear facing seat in the industry, but does not seem to be all blinged out.  Having said that, I would probably not equate bling with fit and finish.  Nauti does an incredible job of tying up all of the loose ends and not letting stuff out of the factory that is not well made.  Based on what I can see in pictures, I would say the M235 has a lot more bling, and time will tell how the fit and finish hold up.  

Exactly what I was trying to say a couple posts back. I just find the G boats to be simple but functional. Where as the M is just trying to one up by adding 500 pounds of billet and lights. I just want someone to review the dang M already so we can all see what it's about!

2 hours ago, DarkSide said:

I have looked at the M235 a couple times.  I agree the fit and finish is ahead of G series right now.  The thing that is great is the industry is recovering and as a result everyone is getting better.  The G turned the industry sideways, but the industry has caught up, and now surpassed the G's high water mark.  The M series is the next step up.  The boat show price for ours was ~175k the G23 ~148k.  I believe the M does provide a nicer fit finish than the G23, I also can see where that extra money went.  Billet, power bay, led lighting, etc.  These are things that may not interest all buyers, but there are enough buyers that the price will not be a huge factor. 

Apples and Oranges.  The M235 at the shows are all fully loaded... like every box checked including the supercharged motor.  The G's at that price are 450 motors, at least they have been at all three shows I've attended (Portland, Dallas, and Sacramento).  In fact, at the Sac show last week the G23 with only basic options (450, bimini, JL stereo, basic gel) was $143K.  

1 hour ago, TallRedRider said:

I have found that dealers often call it 'dealer cost' when they get to a number that is their bottom line, not necessarily what most of us would call 'dealer cost'.  That way, we won't even try to get the price down any farther.    He probably factored in his costs on the boat acquisition and some profit as well.   I believe boat dealers routinely lie about their dealer cost.  

I am too lazy to go back 25 pages or whatever, but IIRC your cost analysis would have said a selling cost of 151K USD would be a very good deal for an M235 depending on the options and trailer chosen.  

I agree.   But I do think the G was never really the most 'blinged out' boat on the water.  I look at my rectangular seats and pretty standard stitching and the G is really sort of utilitarian.  It is very comfortable and had the first terrific rear facing seat in the industry, but does not seem to be all blinged out.  Having said that, I would probably not equate bling with fit and finish.  Nauti does an incredible job of tying up all of the loose ends and not letting stuff out of the factory that is not well made.  Based on what I can see in pictures, I would say the M235 has a lot more bling, and time will tell how the fit and finish hold up.  

Totally agree on "dealer cost."  That's what I was trying to say.  Show me the invoice or I don't believe it.  Talk is cheap.  

The $150K price point was my "street price" estimate of an M235 decontent, which is NOT what is being displayed at the shows.  No way you could get the fully loaded M's for that price.  Just like you'd be hard pressed to get a G with every box checked for that price.  

And I also agree that the G was probably never a "bling" boat.  That crown goes to the failed X-star.  But I don't know if I'd call a G "utilitarian."  Axis is utilitarian.  Moomba is utilitarian.  Rewind the clock a year... would anybody have ever said, "Buy a G if you want a utilitarian wake machine?"   LOL.  Not likely.  But it's easy to say that now that the M is out.  That's what Darkside is referring to... the bar just got raised again. 

I get what you mean about typing up loose ends.  Malibu's have not traditionally been very pretty underneath the seats, under the dash, in the engine bay, etc.  But the M is more than just a bunch of billet pieces.  It has a lot of the same great well thought out "user features" we find in the G.  And it's excessively "finished" in the all the hidden places.  I've said it before and I'll say it again... you really have to see this boat to appreciate it.  Not that you'll buy it (I'm not).  But pics don't do justice to the level of craftsmanship this boat exudes.  

All that said... while at the Sac show last week I spent 30 minutes sitting in a G23, talking to their really great salesman, and poking around.  I'd been inside G's before, but never with so much time to really soak in all the little things.  I gotta say, it is a damn fine boat.  Ask Fman... I said many times while sitting there, "I could rock tihs boat easily and be a very happy man."  So many nice features I hadn't noticed before.  The only thing I didn't like were the racks, the bimini, and the offcenter screen.  It did feel small compared to the M we had just spent an equal amount of time in.  Isn't that funny... a G23 feeling small.  The made the 23 LSV it was sitting next to feel like a row boat.  What has this industry done??? :cry:

I totally agree apples/oranges to the two boats at the show.  The M was full tilt optioned, the G well optioned.  

You got the point, that the M raised the bar again.  I looked at the G23, very nice boat, but just not my cup of tea. 

I got to look at a Wake Tractor also.  yes it was 39,995!  But yeah no!   

I was also invited to demo an X26, I may go but no real interest in it.  freaking huge boat though.   Even MC  guy says X23 is still thier surf boat. 

2 hours ago, IXFE said:

The $150K price point was my "street price" estimate of an M235 decontent, which is NOT what is being displayed at the shows.  No way you could get the fully loaded M's for that price.  Just like you'd be hard pressed to get a G with every box checked for that price.

The M that I saw was full load not decontent, 200k cnd takes it home so at today's exchange that is 150k usd. Someone buy it so we can all stop speculating.

9 minutes ago, nohlan4 said:

The M that I saw was full load not decontent, 200k cnd takes it home so at today's exchange that is 150k usd. Someone buy it so we can all stop speculating.

Ahhh, yes.  Good point.  If that's true, that's the lowest reported price we've seen for a fully loaded M235.  

What was the MSRP in CAD?

23 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Ahhh, yes.  Good point.  If that's true, that's the lowest reported price we've seen for a fully loaded M235.  

What was the MSRP in CAD?

Not sure the buildsheets didn't have numbers on them. But show price was 230k, rep said first 200k would take it though.

1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

I was also invited to demo an X26, I may go but no real interest in it.  freaking huge boat though.   Even MC  guy says X23 is still thier surf boat. 

My MC owner bud, was really disappointed on what MC was showing off. Maybe it's the fact that the G and the M235 are the shinny new toys and MC didn't make any #Gamechanger innovations

The mc dealer here is brand new.  The previous dealer sells mb, supreme, supra, and nautique plus cobalt and bennington pontoons.  Up until last year they sold MC also.  Now that the industry is recovering they had to choose.  They kept nautique and let MC go.  I would not be surprised to see supra splinter next.  Other dealers have no more than 2 brands.  Malibu/axis,  tige/Sanger, etc 

1 minute ago, wakebrdr94 said:

He obviously has confidence in the product.... :tease2

No kidding... am I the only one wondering why Malibu's #1 dealer isn't toeing the line?  

It's not like Wizard doesn't know how to sell macked out boats. 

I wonder if Malibu knew that after giving pricing concessions (if that's true), Wizard would turn around and dump the boat below market. 

31 minutes ago, IXFE said:

No kidding... am I the only one wondering why Malibu's #1 dealer isn't toeing the line?  

It's not like Wizard doesn't know how to sell macked out boats. 

I wonder if Malibu knew that after giving pricing concessions (if that's true), Wizard would turn around and dump the boat below market. 

Yea just brings me to second guess the M235 more. I mean if they wanted to sell them they could, but why are they choosing not to?

8 minutes ago, nohlan4 said:

Yea just brings me to second guess the M235 more. I mean if they wanted to sell them they could, but why are they choosing not to?

Because they all think the g is a better boat at less money. 

I wouldn't read tooooo much into it. I mean, Wizard is a big dealer but it's ONE dealer. 

Many others are seeing success with the M. 

I wonder how much the cheaper decontent M's will change things. 

I wouldn't either, I think they are just very smart at what they do that's why they are #1. Why would they load up on a new boat that takes up more of their cash flow than any other boat before it has a track record. 

^ Well said.

And yes, what you would call "functionality" is what we are reffering to as "utilitarian". It is easy to blur the lines of those two, "functional" is a synonym of utilitarian. I think utilitarian just means that a greater design focus was placed on functionality rather than attractiveness.

I definitely agree with your gripes on the original G Bimini. Although, I think the new Sewlong Bimini solves for those shortcomings. 

• Like 3
On 3/15/2016 at 8:00 PM, DarkSide said:

They are challenging the M prices.  We all know the % off MC isn't as strong as Malibu so I would say the X26 is the 'street price' king (ie, highest).

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2016-MasterCraft-X26-for-sale-Sacramento-California-55573.aspx

ahopkins22LSV

I proved to my friend at the Detroit show that a human could fit in the port side seat storage by getting in it myself. And I can confirm that the fit and finish, assembly, quality, or whatever the hell we want to call it in the compartments of the M is extremely nice well done! Better then any Malibu I have seen.

To be fair, I did not submerse myself in a compartment in a G though, so maybe that isn't a fair comparison :lol:

Very nice post though IXFE!

• Like 1
On March 14, 2016 at 2:55 PM, IXFE said:

Totally agree on "dealer cost."  That's what I was trying to say.  Show me the invoice or I don't believe it.  Talk is cheap.  

And I also agree that the G was probably never a "bling" boat.  That crown goes to the failed X-star.  But I don't know if I'd call a G "utilitarian."  Axis is utilitarian.  Moomba is utilitarian.  Rewind the clock a year... would anybody have ever said, "Buy a G if you want a utilitarian wake machine?"   LOL.  Not likely.  But it's easy to say that now that the M is out.  That's what Darkside is referring to... the bar just got raised again. 

I get what you mean about typing up loose ends.  Malibu's have not traditionally been very pretty underneath the seats, under the dash, in the engine bay, etc.  But the M is more than just a bunch of billet pieces.  It has a lot of the same great well thought out "user features" we find in the G.  And it's excessively "finished" in the all the hidden places.  I've said it before and I'll say it again... you really have to see this boat to appreciate it.  Not that you'll buy it (I'm not).  But pics don't do justice to the level of craftsmanship this boat exudes.  

All that said... while at the Sac show last week I spent 30 minutes sitting in a G23, talking to their really great salesman, and poking around.  I'd been inside G's before, but never with so much time to really soak in all the little things.  I gotta say, it is a damn fine boat.  Ask Fman... I said many times while sitting there, "I could rock tihs boat easily and be a very happy man."  So many nice features I hadn't noticed before.  The only thing I didn't like were the racks, the bimini, and the offcenter screen.  It did feel small compared to the M we had just spent an equal amount of time in.  Isn't that funny... a G23 feeling small.  The made the 23 LSV it was sitting next to feel like a row boat.  What has this industry done??? :cry:

No, my wittle VLX felt crazy small! the sales "dude" Nautique had was entertaining, very nice kid and we did explain to him what a chine was under the boat... so he learned a few things from us! :biggrin: and maybe he should practice getting that bimini cover off, he made the Malibu G3.2 bimini look simple... ahhhh.... attention to detail youngster!

Edited by Fman
10 hours ago, Fman said:

No, my wittle VLX felt crazy small! the sales "dude" Nautique had was entertaining, very nice kid and we did explain to him what a chine was under the boat... so he learned a few things from us! :biggrin: and maybe he should practice getting that bimini cover off, he made the Malibu G3.2 bimini look simple... ahhhh.... attention to detail youngster!

Haha... Yeah that kid was funny. But there were definitely some gaps in his knowledge. 

I have to admit, the Bimini episode was kinda funny. He was like, "The Bimini is easy, let me show you.... (struggles with the cover for 30 seconds)... uh, never mind." :rofl:

• Like 2

Every boat I've owned has had struggles with the bimini.  It is like the engineers don't pay attention to that feature.  At the end of a long hot day, the last thing I want to do is mess with the torture device known as the bimini and bimini cover.  I went with the Z5 this time.  I'm lucky - I never had the need to take it down.  It was work the 2k I spent on it.