Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 - G Killer?

Dan Cummins

I crawled around that boat too!

I really liked it. My only complaint with limited time in it was the rear locker access. The only way to access the rear locker is on the swim platform? Can you fit a wakeboard in that opening?

17 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

I really liked it. My only complaint with limited time in it was the rear locker access. The only way to access the rear locker is on the swim platform? Can you fit a wakeboard in that opening?

No, you can access the lockers from the top too. Larson just left the trays in there. At our show they took those trays out, and if I owned the boat it's the first thing I'd do. 

4 hours ago, teamerickson said:

Don't think so. Surfboards maybe but wakeboard bindings will get hung up. Even surfboards may be a tight squeeze due to the width of the opening. Plenty of room for board storage with two sets of racks and  Bimini storage on top. Can always add a second set of racks on each side too. If you're spending  close to 200k, an extra grand for more racks is not going to be a big deal for anyone buying that boat. Another thing I liked about the boat is that the pizza tray above the engine is sealed so you can actually store towels in there on cold days to keep them warm and dry. Always nice to have a warm towel after a winter session. 

I got to crawl around one at the boat show in Edmonton Alberta this weekend. All in all I wasn't that impressed, it has a lot of blingy details but some of the compartments I thought were shaped oddly. As well as the interior layout just didn't make total sense to me. Talked to the guys in the booth and they said the first 200k cnd would take it as that was there cost. Was told that they were having a hard time getting interest in the boat when competing against the G23. The one thing I did like was the engine tray and the pass through on the observer seat side although not sure what you would ever use that for. Lots of the reps from other booths had told me they thought it was a swing and a miss by Malibu. Although the most disappointing booth at the show was from mastercraft......

Edited by nohlan4

I actually went from the M235 over to a G23 and had the opposite reaction.  I am a fan of the G23, very nice boat but did not seem on same level as the M235.  It felt pretty plane and meh inside compared to what was going on with the M235.  To each is own but imo the G was not at the same level for fit and finish, creature comforts and dash.  The M235 just seems to have a look that demands attention.  I also still think Malibu has the best display going right now.  One thing on the G I thought was strange was there bimini, it was kinda always deployed even when you stow it down the center of the cabin area.  Just seemed odd to me, I like being able to have full sun when desired.  Obviously these are two high end boats, would like to get behind each of them this season to experience the wave...this could be a huge factor but I can't see the M235 not producing a stellar wake and surf wave.  The G also has a redesigned hull for 2016 which looked promising, both are sweet rides no doubt.

Edited by Fman

The M235 at the National Capital Boat Show was 169k. That a lot more competitive against the G. I'd probably go G at those prices. The M was nice but seems "bulky" where the G seemed more refined. They were both nice but way outside my budget so I didn't dwell on it. 

Honestly, I like the size of the 23 LSV. A lot of boats (like supra) just keep adding fiberglass without function. Your lake, you crew, your routine, etc ... Will dictate what right for you. 

3 hours ago, nohlan4 said:

I got to crawl around one at the boat show in Edmonton Alberta this weekend. All in all I wasn't that impressed, it has a lot of blingy details but some of the compartments I thought were shaped oddly. As well as the interior layout just didn't make total sense to me. Talked to the guys in the booth and they said the first 200k cnd would take it as that was there cost. Was told that they were having a hard time getting interest in the boat when competing against the G23. The one thing I did like was the engine tray and the pass through on the observer seat side although not sure what you would ever use that for. Lots of the reps from other booths had told me they thought it was a swing and a miss by Malibu. Although the most disappointing booth at the show was from mastercraft......

Oddly shaped compartments... Years ago you'd hear me saying the same thing about the old X star. But what I've noticed is that as boats get deeper and deeper, the odd shapes compartments are simply a function of the boat builder maximizing storage space by pushing the floor deeper into hull wherever possible. Just look under the glove box of the G23 to see what I'm talking about. Heck, even the current gen 23 LSV doesn't have a flat floor under the seats. I've learned to accept this and I think I'd rather have the extra storage space than nice flat floor in the coffin. 

I'm curious to hear more about what you didn't like about the interior layout. It's a standard v-drive cockpit. Nothing fancy. Please be specific about what "didn't make sense."

As far as $200k CDN dealer cost, you should have asked to see the invoice. No doubt these boats are stupid expensive. That's what happens when you build a 7k lb boat and check every box on the order sheet. But $200k CDN or $151k USD sounds maybe a little high. But what do I know?  

Reps from other booths say "swing and miss."  Lol, that's rich. 

ahopkins22LSV
7 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Reps from other booths have also told me Malibu makes the worse ski boat on the market from the wake to the interior. To each their own right? 

And I went back to the second Detroit show today and the M still blew me away. The G is still a bad arse boat, but I agree that the M is above it. Will probably be able to get one on the water shortly too.

Speaking of INSANE prices, the X-26 at the show was 186 "boat show special" :shocked: 

23 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Oddly shaped compartments... Years ago you'd hear me saying the same thing about the old X star. But what I've noticed is that as boats get deeper and deeper, the odd shapes compartments are simply a function of the boat builder maximizing storage space by pushing the floor deeper into hull wherever possible. Just look under the glove box of the G23 to see what I'm talking about. Heck, even the current gen 23 LSV doesn't have a flat floor under the seats. I've learned to accept this and I think I'd rather have the extra storage space than nice flat floor in the coffin. 

I'm curious to hear more about what you didn't like about the interior layout. It's a standard v-drive cockpit. Nothing fancy. Please be specific about what "didn't make sense."

As far as $200k CDN dealer cost, you should have asked to see the invoice. No doubt these boats are stupid expensive. That's what happens when you build a 7k lb boat and check every box on the order sheet. But $200k CDN or $151k USD sounds maybe a little high. But what do I know?  

Just the way the pass through a were so small, like what use is it if it's so small. Also the small compartment in the walk through? What is that for, I mean it's splitting hairs really but I thought the G was laid out simpler and more function orientated.

I would believe that 200k is close to invoice I don't see there being a large margin on the M235 with the new designs and all the bling, it's a flagship boat to break new ground for Malibu I don't think it's a money maker. That dealer also said that it's not going to be a high volume boat, he predicted they might do 60 this year and that's it.

As far as a swing and a miss it's early to say but it was not generating much buzz at the show at all. The G boats were full of families getting sales pitches while the M235 sat empty so that's gotta mean something.

19 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Reps from other booths have also told me Malibu makes the worse ski boat on the market from the wake to the interior. To each their own right? 

And I went back to the second Detroit show today and the M still blew me away. The G is still a bad arse boat, but I agree that the M is above it. Will probably be able to get one on the water shortly too.

Speaking of INSANE prices, the X-26 at the show was 186 "boat show special" :shocked: 

Yea that X26 is horrible looking and I hate the way the interior is laid out with the two large bench seats at the front, blah!

Nothing to add other than just walked around the Knoxville boat show and our local Malibu dealer said he had sold 4 m235's.  Thought that seemed great for him.  Saw the big 3, prob my 2 favorite boats in my price range was the 23 lsv and the Supra SG.  

13 minutes ago, nohlan4 said:

As far as a swing and a miss it's early to say but it was not generating much buzz at the show at all. The G boats were full of families getting sales pitches while the M235 sat empty so that's gotta mean something.

At the Seattle show the dealer did not bring a m235 and I'm guessing they regret it. The sales guy I talked to said he had been getting asked non stop about it. 

4 hours ago, IXFE said:

When I bought my boat from wizard, the exchange rate used was the exchange rate  in effect on the day the boat crossed the border. A month ago $200k cdn was worth $135kish usd. Who knows what rate wizard got. 

Maybe it's just a local market thing or maybe it's a wizard pushing nautiques thing, but wizard continues to sell a ton of Gs and only brought in one M (at least initially).   

Edited by 3sport
2 hours ago, jb 156 said:

Nothing to add other than just walked around the Knoxville boat show and our local Malibu dealer said he had sold 4 m235's.  Thought that seemed great for him.  Saw the big 3, prob my 2 favorite boats in my price range was the 23 lsv and the Supra SG.  

I was super impressed by the new supras, they have come a loooong way. Easily my second favourite was the SG.

13 minutes ago, 3sport said:

When I bought my boat from wizard, the exchange rate used was the exchange rate  in effect on the day the boat crossed the border. A month ago $200k cdn was worth $135kish usd. Who knows what rate wizard got. 

Maybe it's just a local market thing or maybe it's a wizard pushing nautiques thing, but wizard continues to sell a ton of Gs and only brought in one M (at least initially) after Malibu insisted and also sharpened its pencil a bit on price to make it more competitive.   

Yea I'm not sure if they push the G's or not but I thought the show spoke for itself, they weren't coraling ppl into the g boats they led themselves into the boats.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Fman said:

I actually went from the M235 over to a G23 and had the opposite reaction.  I am a fan of the G23, very nice boat but did not seem on same level as the M235.  It felt pretty plane and meh inside compared to what was going on with the M235.  To each is own but imo the G was not at the same level for fit and finish, creature comforts and dash.  The M235 just seems to have a look that demands attention.  I also still think Malibu has the best display going right now.  One thing on the G I thought was strange was there bimini, it was kinda always deployed even when you stow it down the center of the cabin area.  Just seemed odd to me, I like being able to have full sun when desired.  Obviously these are two high end boats, would like to get behind each of them this season to experience the wave...this could be a huge factor but I can't see the M235 not producing a stellar wake and surf wave.  The G also has a redesigned hull for 2016 which looked promising, both are sweet rides no doubt.

I think you mean to quote someone else, I agreed with your post and enjoyed the headroom in the M235 

33 minutes ago, Stevo said:

I think you mean to quote someone else, I agreed with your post and enjoyed the headroom in the M235 

My mistake, that was entirely the wrong quote.  My cell phone does not like this new software program, still trying to work out the glitches :-)

4 hours ago, 3sport said:

Maybe it's just a local market thing or maybe it's a wizard pushing nautiques thing, but wizard continues to sell a ton of Gs and only brought in one M (at least initially).   

Wizard didn't even order a m235, Malibu just went ahead and sent them one. They are definitely pushing nautiques right now over Malibu. 

2 hours ago, tgregorc said:

I'm sure I'll get the troll status but obviously IXFE isn't aware of exchange rates....

Your first post in 4 months and this is what you come up with?  Why would anybody think you're a troll??

I understand exchange rates just fine.  Enlighten me on the part you think I'm unaware of.  Please be specific. 

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 1

My local dealer in Cincinnati has sold 1 M235.  They have sold lots of G's though.  He also said that he had talked to a Minnesota dealer and they had sold 4 M235's just at the boat show.  

5 minutes ago, OxDoc said:

My local dealer in Cincinnati has sold 1 M235.  They have sold lots of G's though.  He also said that he had talked to a Minnesota dealer and they had sold 4 M235's just at the boat show.  

I can second the MN fact. Talked to them at the boat show and told me how people loved the M235

13 hours ago, wheelman said:

Wizard didn't even order a m235, Malibu just went ahead and sent them one. They are definitely pushing nautiques right now over Malibu.

Really? Because Ron showed me the buildsheet in December talking about how he was torn on which colors to go with. Regardless there has to be something said about why they wouldn't want one in the first place if that is true. Is nautique giving them that much better deal on boats? They have told me multiple time that they think the G still edges out the M235 so coming from a dealer that sells both I would have to agree with them since there is nothing else to go off of at this point when it comes to the performance side of things.

11 hours ago, tgregorc said:

I'm sure I'll get the troll status but obviously IXFE isn't aware of exchange rates....

For most people you could probably get away with a little statement like that... and I don't want to share any specific personal info about him, but I know IXFE pretty well... sooooo the fact that not only does his job require him to be familiar with them, it practically makes him an expert in the subject matter... I'd say you should go pick on someone else about that. Cause I'm pretty sure he's laughing really hard at you right now. lol

But hey, you know... welcome to the fray. :)

20 minutes ago, nohlan4 said:

Really? Because Ron showed me the buildsheet in December talking about how he was torn on which colors to go with. Regardless there has to be something said about why they wouldn't want one in the first place if that is true. Is nautique giving them that much better deal on boats? They have told me multiple time that they think the G still edges out the M235 so coming from a dealer that sells both I would have to agree with them since there is nothing else to go off of at this point when it comes to the performance side of things.

I was talking with Don, Ron, and Gord when the boat was in transit and Don was saying they never ordered it and told Malibu to take it back. As the story goes he negotiated a better discount on it and ended up taking it. Don was able to negotiate much better discounts off nautiques than Malibu this year when our dollar sank. Edmonton boat show should be the true judge of things seeing as it's the only show they have nautiqe and Malibu there. 

I have looked at the M235 a couple times.  I agree the fit and finish is ahead of G series right now.  The thing that is great is the industry is recovering and as a result everyone is getting better.  The G turned the industry sideways, but the industry has caught up, and now surpassed the G's high water mark.  The M series is the next step up.  The boat show price for ours was ~175k the G23 ~148k.  I believe the M does provide a nicer fit finish than the G23, I also can see where that extra money went.  Billet, power bay, led lighting, etc.  These are things that may not interest all buyers, but there are enough buyers that the price will not be a huge factor. 

23 hours ago, IXFE said:

I have found that dealers often call it 'dealer cost' when they get to a number that is their bottom line, not necessarily what most of us would call 'dealer cost'.  That way, we won't even try to get the price down any farther.    He probably factored in his costs on the boat acquisition and some profit as well.   I believe boat dealers routinely lie about their dealer cost.  

I am too lazy to go back 25 pages or whatever, but IIRC your cost analysis would have said a selling cost of 151K USD would be a very good deal for an M235 depending on the options and trailer chosen.  

23 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

I have looked at the M235 a couple times.  I agree the fit and finish is ahead of G series right now.  The thing that is great is the industry is recovering and as a result everyone is getting better.  The G turned the industry sideways, but the industry has caught up, and now surpassed the G's high water mark.  The M series is the next step up.  The boat show price for ours was ~175k the G23 ~148k.  I believe the M does provide a nicer fit finish than the G23, I also can see where that extra money went.  Billet, power bay, led lighting, etc.  These are things that may not interest all buyers, but there are enough buyers that the price will not be a huge factor. 

I agree.   But I do think the G was never really the most 'blinged out' boat on the water.  I look at my rectangular seats and pretty standard stitching and the G is really sort of utilitarian.  It is very comfortable and had the first terrific rear facing seat in the industry, but does not seem to be all blinged out.  Having said that, I would probably not equate bling with fit and finish.  Nauti does an incredible job of tying up all of the loose ends and not letting stuff out of the factory that is not well made.  Based on what I can see in pictures, I would say the M235 has a lot more bling, and time will tell how the fit and finish hold up.