Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 - G Killer?

Dan Cummins

I hear ya..... I ran off topic a bit there, but we got nothing to talk about on the M235! We need more info :)

I don't think your data is off topic. Feels relevant to me given that it was pricing info of thr very boats the M235 was designed to compete with. And price is a huge part of the business model with these boats... they ARE in fact "price point" boats... only the price point in this case is at the TOP of the scale and the boats are literally built for people who don't care about price, only having what is perceived as the best and most expensive.

• Like 2

Why are you a wake boat snob? Think about it for a minute here. What does the G and mc do that a cheaper boat doesn't?

It's kinda like the age old comparison we have used many times in the past...... Relating it to something like a comparison between a Z06, and a 911TT. Both perform as well, but there is a whole bunch of reasons someone would prefer the 911. From one end to the other the "little things" are just a bit better thought out, and the materials and design are just a bit better. It just simply feels nicer to a lot of people looking at them. It's certainly a big price to pay for the little things....but the little things do matter to me. For me, I have a hard time looking beyond the general aesthetics, features, and hardware in an axis. Should it matter that much? No...... But I am OCD :)

1021: you say a 6.2 is only a $5k upgrade.... Is this the new di engine? I thought pcm's only 6.2 was the LSA?

Ya, they are now offering the new H5 which is a 5.3l, and the H6 6.2l. Looks like they have ditched the 5.7 and 6.0 for 2016. (Although they might still offer the 5.7 for smaller boats. Not sure)

• Like 1

Fman, you are correct prices are out of control. But it is not just boats. Price a new diesel truck. Unfortunately I don't see pricing going down any time soon. Especially as malibu and Mastercraft both expanded factories to meet demand.

Boats have risen way faster than a Diesel truck.

In 2002, I paid 45k out the door for my first new VLX. Now look at the prices. In 2005, I paid 53k for a fully loaded duramax. I was pricing them recently and it's right at 60k before negotiation. In 11 years time, I'd say that's not much, especially compared to boats

• Like 2

Why are you a wake boat snob? Think about it for a minute here. What does the G and mc do that a cheaper boat doesn't? Yes the presets, but both have great performance, cruise, ballast, stereo, towers, racks,etc... There is simply no way to justify that kind of price other than snob appeal. Few differences in construction, but I bet that all 3 boats will be around and operating in 15 years.

I'm not trying to single you out or make you explain anything. I'm just talking generics.

Why buy Honda when you can afford a Porsche? They both get you from A to B, but the level of refinement and technology between the two are vastly different.

You're looking at this the same way I look at people that drive those fancy cars. Sure, I'd like to take a Corvette out for a nice day cruise, but my Mazda gets me around town just the same and costs quite a bit less. These people have the money to spend and want higher quality. I'm sure bling factor is a good chunk of it too.

Boats have risen way faster than a Diesel truck.

In 2002, I paid 45k out the door for my first new VLX. Now look at the prices. In 2005, I paid 53k for a fully loaded duramax. I was pricing them recently and it's right at 60k before negotiation. In 11 years time, I'd say that's not much, especially compared to boats

To be fair though, an 05 loaded duramax is not night and day different than a new loaded duramax. Both likely have navigation leather, etc. The 2002 Era malibu much more resembles a LT work Truck than an LTZ. No power wedge, no surf gate, no touch screen,etc. The new Malibu is very similar to the LTZ in features and creature comforts. The price escalation between a 2002 work truck and new LTZ is probably similar.

However, the point I was trying to make, but failed, is everything is expensive. 60k is a lot of $$$ for a truck. Unfortunately that is what we have to pay.

• Like 1

Hard to believe you can buy 4-5 of these for the price of a new Malibu M235. (FFR Mark III 427 AC Cobra - kit). Is it me or are these prices are reaching a point of just being ridiculous??? Even $140k sounds off the chart crazy....it is going to be interesting to see how many of these Malibu actually sells in 2016. And if the surf wave is actually any better than the LSV.

01717_a62FtPvzZNL_600x450-2_zpsfowlvxnz.

I can't believe 90k for one of these boats. Approaching 180k is crazy. Can't you buy a small plane for that.

I can't believe 90k for one of these boats. Approaching 180k is crazy. Can't you buy a small plane for that.

90k is almost considered a great bargain buy now...I dunno, I guess if you finance boats then it's just matter of the payment, for people that are writing a check it is a little more hard to swallow. I will be one of the guys tapping out on these prices, my bubble has popped...our vlx will more than likely be my last boat. I have the pink and I can't see us needing much more. It does everything we need and then some.

I am just super curious on how much better this M235 surf wave will be than my vlx or the lsv. I'm sure the wakeboard wake will be crazy, but 99% of average Joe riders can't even take advantage of it. It will be for the 1%ers...so far, from the pics I have seen it looks like a nice looking ride no doubt. Especially for being such a heavy, deep boat.

• Like 3

I am just super curious on how much better this M235 surf wave will be than my vlx or the lsv. I'm sure the wakeboard wake will be crazy, but 99% of average Joe riders can't even take advantage of it. It will be for the 1%ers...so far, from the pics I have seen it looks like a nice looking ride no doubt. Especially for being such a heavy, deep boat.

I'm wondering if Malibu found a way to have a DEEP V in the hull With a somewhat flat transom, and still have a good clean non weight sensitive boat. If they have, you will have a winner. Most deep v boats have an amazing surf wave and ride better in rough water, but have a super weight sensitive boat to wakeboard. They also don't handle as well. Flat bottom boats have an amazing clean wake but sacrifice in the surf wave and rough water ride a bit. So if Malibu has found a way to make this boat have a deep V, with a non weight sensitive hull that handles well. You have a winner. You'll also have an above average surf wave. Edited by tn_rider

I'm wondering if Malibu found a way to have a DEEP V in the hull With a somewhat flat transom, and still have a good clean non weight sensitive boat. If they have, you will have a winner. Most deep v boats have an amazing surf wave and ride better in rough water, but have a super weight sensitive boat to wakeboard. They also don't handle as well. Flat bottom boats have an amazing clean wake but sacrifice in the surf wave and rough water ride a bit. So if Malibu has found a way to make this boat have a deep V, with a non weight sensitive hull that handles well. You have a winner. You'll also have an above average surf wave.

I would agree that it would be a winner...... Might be a bit hard for Malibu to rewrite the laws of hydrodynamics though.....

Deep v in front with flatter transom would give you the same surf wave as it would have without the deep front. It would also porpoise like crazy, and not really help the ride all that much. It would probably track pretty nice though.

Hopefully they took a "middle of the road" approach.

I don't really think the flatter bottoms have lesser waves, they simply take more weight to get it there.

10,400 views in five days impressive.

Will be interesting if Malibu can pull back lost customers who defected and bought G boats and if they can match Nautique QC, fit and finish.

• Like 1

Before taxes and options....

The G looks like a bargain boat.....but then again I think this was Malibu's goal. Be king of the hill. Don't get me wrong....Sweet Boat! Can't wait to see the Couture Interior & a Blue & Grey color scheme.

The G looks like a bargain boat.....but then again I think this was Malibu's goal. Be king of the hill. Don't get me wrong....Sweet Boat! Can't wait to see the Couture Interior & a Blue & Grey color scheme.

Ill take the G Alex, for tens of thousands less.....

I think it will be a little more than a 25 LSV or 24MXZ. If they also follow the G strategy it will be 20-30k more than 23 LSV. Think SAN230 vs. G23. Will you see these with 180K MSRP, yes. However you will likely see a few in the 160's. I also think you could have the ability to option one all the way to $200k

Edited by DarkSide

10 years ago a LOADED top of line Malibu could be had for just about 50k with no special love from the dealer or manufacturer.

This industry has officially blown my mind. Never would I have thought prices would inflate to where they are going back then.

Amen. 20 years ago my father purchased a 1996 Sunsetter LX well optioned for $29,995 including tax/etc. He still owns it as well and has no interest in spending what it would take to replace it.