Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 - G Killer?

Dan Cummins

Don't forget wakeboarding. You guys remember what that is right?

But is that a REAL consideration? This is a bling machine... a status symbol. the 20-somethings who can take advantage of a mo-bigga wakeboard wake can't afford this beast.

Ha I thought it was bad when I was 21 and the only people who could afford the really nice custom bikes ($5k at the time) at the bike shop I worked at were pot-bellied middle aged dudes. This takes that idea to a whole new level.

• Like 2

But is that a REAL consideration? This is a bling machine... a status symbol. the 20-somethings who can take advantage of a mo-bigga wakeboard wake can't afford this beast.

Ha I thought it was bad when I was 21 and the only people who could afford the really nice custom bikes ($5k at the time) at the bike shop I worked at were pot-bellied middle aged dudes. This takes that idea to a whole new level.

I would think so. Wakeboarders LOVE being behind the G's. Huge wake.

So, did the factory add the FAE in this picture? Think that will be an option going forward?

I have a pic of a couple M235s at the factory, both of which have FAE.

The pics show a good portion of the transom, and it looks to be a sort of mod v. Not a deep v like a centurion, and not a shallow flat transom like a G or most Bu's. It has a pretty good steady curve to it, very much like an X23. It would be easier to tell for sure with a low straight shot from the back...... I should be able to get it hosted and posted later tonight.

I have not said that the NXT OB or 26. was a family/pleasure boat,

Like I had said, I'm not trying to be argumentative. And I am sorry that whatever I said that rubbed you the wrong way rubbed you the wrong way. But I have obviously upset you, since you seem more focused on what I say than what you do - you have completely and totally contradicted yourself twice, now.

I agree the OB NXT isn't for the core watersports market. So if it's not, who's it for? Families and pleasure-oriented boaters, which is FINE.

All I did was to point out that that perspective shows a lack of understanding of their strategy or a lack of understanding of the boat. Is it perfect, especially for the US? Nope, far from it. But that does not make it valid. Back when I was just an engineer (before MY finance degree.....okay, an MBA, but whatever) at Ford, China was considered an "emerging market." IN 2000, China was only 5% the size of the US market, and by 2011, it had overtaken in. 11 short years it went from 5% to bigger than. Maybe that is why I see "core" a little bit differently than you do. I'm not saying wherever MC expects to sell this boat is going to see that kind of growth. But for very little engineering or capital equipment investment, it seems like a worthwhile risk.

I only bought up knowing the COO to point out that I'm not defending MC, and that I chose 'Bu despite the ability to get an appreciable discount. Which, for the record, was not offered to me by him, but the other friend of mine (Shane was more of an acquaintance, as his wife was more involved in their swimming when they still did it).

Why are we talking about the cheapest boat made by any of the big 3 in a thread about the most expensive made by any of the big 3 anyway?

The 235 pic is likely with close to full wedge, making the wave steeper but also significantly shorter. Look at IXFE wave it does not appears quite as steep but instead has the length. Most would agree longer is better. (Keep it clean gents)

I have little doubt the 23LSV could duplicate the 235 steepness or that the 235 could duplicate the length. Just personal preference.

Where the 235 has an advantage is it can do this out of the box. The LSV needs custom sacs, bow bag, etc.

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 2

I want no part of that box if it comes with 3-5 people in the bow all the time (see the pic).

No one knows for certain, I would suspect you are right, most benefit from a bit of bow weight.

With that said Malibu puts people in the bow for EVERY video or picture. Go back and watch 23LSV video, people in the bow in every sequence.

I'm looking forward to see the m220, presumably next year. I think they should put the Ford engine in the Axis line and put the PCM engines in the m series line. I'm not a pickle nose lover, but it could grow on me. I prefer the way Nautique did the wide nose bow. I hope they give the buyer a choice on the LED light color. I prefer white LEDs over that blue. I'm also not sold on the pocket door being electric. I think all things being equal, I'd rather the pocket door was manual--but I do prefer the pocket door concept over our slide in wind screen. That electric opener is a classic case of over engineering a complicated solution when a simpler, more elegant solution is arguably better.

I'm real curious to see how Malibu implemented the FAE with the power wedge. I LOVE the surf pipe on the Nautiques and the FAE on Axis with the floating wedge, but HATE it on Malibus with the power wedge. I wonder if they have come up with a sexier implementation than currently available.

Edited by Cory

I'm also curious if they have solved the integration issues with the stereo remotes. That is something else that ought to be solved at this price point. Really, it should have been solved years ago at the price point of the Wakesetter line.

I think anyone who purchases a 23.5 ft boat has no real expectation to store it in the typical garage having an 8ft door. BUT, a good portion of people interested in a 22ft or 21.5ft boat would find such a feature desirable. So, MALIBU, now that you have pulled trailer design in-house, why don't you put your NOODLE to work on the option of a low rider trailer for the future m220 that would allow this boat to fit under a 93" garage door opening (extra points if it fits under a 90" door).

Edited by Cory

Like I had said, I'm not trying to be argumentative. And I am sorry that whatever I said that rubbed you the wrong way rubbed you the wrong way. But I have obviously upset you, since you seem more focused on what I say than what you do - you have completely and totally contradicted yourself twice, now.

All I did was to point out that that perspective shows a lack of understanding of their strategy or a lack of understanding of the boat. Is it perfect, especially for the US? Nope, far from it. But that does not make it valid. Back when I was just an engineer (before MY finance degree.....okay, an MBA, but whatever) at Ford, China was considered an "emerging market." IN 2000, China was only 5% the size of the US market, and by 2011, it had overtaken in. 11 short years it went from 5% to bigger than. Maybe that is why I see "core" a little bit differently than you do. I'm not saying wherever MC expects to sell this boat is going to see that kind of growth. But for very little engineering or capital equipment investment, it seems like a worthwhile risk.

I only bought up knowing the COO to point out that I'm not defending MC, and that I chose 'Bu despite the ability to get an appreciable discount. Which, for the record, was not offered to me by him, but the other friend of mine (Shane was more of an acquaintance, as his wife was more involved in their swimming when they still did it).

Why are we talking about the cheapest boat made by any of the big 3 in a thread about the most expensive made by any of the big 3 anyway?

Because a wake boat for "pleasure and a family oriented boaters" is different than saying its a "family/pleasure boat". There is a distinction.

Your Chinese case study is not really comparable because Mastercraft is not satisfying unfilled, exploding demand. They're just another player with a hull that will ride worse and cost more than their competitors that have as much experience building outboard and stern drives as Mastercraft does with inboards.

I've followed this industry for a long time. Long enough to remember Mastercraft's many attempts to think outside the box, from sea doo knockoffs to yachts. You're welcome to think it's a "worth the risk" and I'm not saying its not. All I've said was it seemed tn-rider was right, that MC's R&D, in releasing the 26 and an outboard this year, were not directed at the core market. You're welcome to disagree. Back to the M235.

The 235 pic is likely with close to full wedge, making the wave steeper but also significantly shorter. Look at IXFE wave it does not appears quite as steep but instead has the length. Most would agree longer is better. (Keep it clean gents)

I have little doubt the 23LSV could duplicate the 235 steepness or that the 235 could duplicate the length. Just personal preference.

Where the 235 has an advantage is it can do this out of the box. The LSV needs custom sacs, bow bag, etc.

All I run is PnP wakemakers bags (hardly "custom" anymore) and a bow triangle. In that pic I believe I had the wedge at 2 clicks up. I always run more wedge on the regular side to help steepen it up.

Let's be honest, anybody surfing the 235 will run PnP locker bags too. I'm sure the pics Bu is publishing have bags in the lockers. And I'd argue the boat will need additional bow weight too (as pictured).

On the other hand, maybe if the rider in the M235 pic was further back on the wave like my rider we'd be able to see more length. Dunno.

Edited by IXFE

I am not disagreeing at all.

By custom bags, i am referring to bags fit specific to model, like the bags you run. As opposed to off the shelf 750's. The M235 does spec 750 PNP bags.

Like most i am a fan of bow weight, and would shove 500 lbs of lead in the bow before I even started. I really think the hull design of all of the newer boats will create a great wave it is a matter of displacement and weight placement.

Tough to say what the wave is really like. Besides that most of the pictures are of people surfing the wrong side of the boat anyway....

I'm also not sold on the pocket door being electric. I think all things being equal, I'd rather the pocket door was manual--but I do prefer the pocket door concept over our slide in wind screen.

Not sure I like the pocket door style wind block either, but not because it's electric. When that wind block is open, which is the majority of the time for most of us, it has to go somewhere, right? I imagine it cuts right through the storage area under the glove box. Or maybe there's a false wall under the glove box and the door slides in and out behind that wall. Either way, not good.