Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 - G Killer?

Dan Cummins

I'd bet money you don't have to get the trailer. There are plenty of people living on waterfront that have no room for a trailer and pay for dockside service and even winter dry storage (as mentioned above). These are the very people this boat is targeting.

I was told with Malibu now making their own trailers, a standard trailer is included in the price of the boat. You can option it though. You get a "delete credit" if you don't want it, but it less than what it would cost for the trailer, so you're better off getting it. Edited by wakebrdr94

I would think the core watersports market consists of three countries US, Canada, and Australia. If you were born outside one of those three countries, I would think the likelihood you'll get an opportunity to wakeboard or wakesurf is very low. I didn't say non-existent, just very, very low

I'd add New Zealand on to that as well. Boating there is huge, water sports as well, I learnt to wakeboard 16 years ago over there as it was just starting to take off, since then it's exploded.

I believe malibu has 2-3 dealers there, unless things have changed since I left 4 years ago they'll be out selling every other manufacturer.

With places like this to ride it's no surprise how popular boating is in New Zealand

image_zpsgtdicxyb.jpeg

11k @ MSRP for supercharged over 450

Funny thing is last year when 409 was standard on big boats, it was 7k to go LS3 or 12k to go LSA. Only 4600 difference between the 2 last year. I get it new platform but still

I was thinking $18k over the 409 (wow, I was way off), even $11k seems crazy, especially if the 450/2:1 trans/17" prop will get it done.

I'd bet money you don't have to get the trailer. There are plenty of people living on waterfront that have no room for a trailer and pay for dockside service and even winter dry storage (as mentioned above). These are the very people this boat is targeting.

My dealer said it was not optional. They were forced into ordering the trailer with the order they placed this week

Many factors to think about, tranny, prop, weight, surfgate, etc. I am going to guess the 450 is borderline as soon as you drop the wedge. Without the wedge it might be OK.

Edited by skurfer
  • Like 2

I was told with Malibu now making their own trailers, a standard trailer is included in the price of the boat. You can option it though. You get a "delete credit" if you don't want it, but it less than what it would cost for the trailer, so you're better off getting it.

You're not better off getting it if you don't have anywhere to put the trailer and you don't have a vehicle with a hitch. Lake Washington is WA State's largest/wealthiest boat market. It's a huge, wealthy lake (Bill Gates and Paul Allen live on it). There are many people living on the water there that have Seattle Boat Co. deliver their BU to their dock in spring and drive it away from their dock in fall for rack storage. In fact, Seattle Boat doesn't even order most of their stock boats with trailers. Both of their locations are on water and they use fork lifts to launch the boat if you want to go for a test drive. I'm sure Seattle Boat is loving the m235, cause it will suit their typical clientele perfectly. Lk WA can get rough during SeaFair with all the yachts watching the hydroplane races and Blue Angles, so a high freeboard boat is perfect for that lake. Seattle Boat will not be forcing their lake side residents to purchase a trailer--I'm certain of it. That would make no sense.

Edited by Cory

I'd add New Zealand on to that as well. Boating there is huge, water sports as well, I learnt to wakeboard 16 years ago over there as it was just starting to take off, since then it's exploded.

I believe malibu has 2-3 dealers there, unless things have changed since I left 4 years ago they'll be out selling every other manufacturer.

With places like this to ride it's no surprise how popular boating is in New Zealand

image_zpsgtdicxyb.jpeg

Australia as well. Malibu dominates the market over there.

The orient is also really picking up steam as well as several countries in the middle east.

Edited by 23LSVOwner

The large tanks are difficult to unload and pump VERY slow.

Better off with 5 gallon cans and the high flow nozzle. I also upgraded the size of my vents and added vents to my ventless cans.

http://www.essentialhardware.com/combined-manufacturing-30051-hi-flo-gas-can-spout-kit-179400.html?utm_campaign=bing&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc

I have the high flow nozzle (just one I switch between 7 5-gallon tanks). It empties a can in a little under a minute and has a long reach which is really nice.

I no longer worry about the venting system as I usually do the siphon method... Saves my arms, back and worry of spilling fuel over the side of the boat.

By definition, the core watersports market is not in third world or as your friend will likely put it, "expanding markets", heck even any market outside the US. Therefore, I agree 100% with your friend's characterization of the niche they're after, but that's NOT the core water sports market, nor is it a market even driven by cutting edge performance. It IS a market driven by different practicalities. It may well perform as the best OB wake boat. And again, there's nothing wrong with that. But that doesn't make tn-rider's observation incorrect as to MCs present R&D allocation.

Whose definition? WWA hosted professional events in of course the US, but also Canada, Mexico, Portugal, Brazil, Australia, and I think Japan last year. But even if the US Centric narrative is correct, targeting emerging markets (not "expanding," emerging, which is an economic term) does not automatically make a boat a "family or pleasure" boat. It is the NXT 20, with reinforcement to support the engine. Same molds and everything. If you believe that the NXT, which is a direct result of the success of Axis, is a pleasure or family boat, then I suppose I would grant you that. I just don't agree with that assessment.

Look, I'm not trying to be argumentative. I don't expect folks on a Malibu board to go out and embrace was Mastercraft is doing. Hey, I'm in a 'Bu, and i'm pretty sure I could get a MC for a sweet deal (their COO's kids and mine swam competitively on the same team for a few years, in addition to the friend who is an engineer there). I wasn't here when CC launched the G, were folks so dismissive of it, too? I agree overall that MC is trending more towards the affluent families who just want to pull tubes and show a little bling. But then again, I think they are all doing that to a degree.

• Like 2

I kind of agree with the initial loaded to the gills initial launch. With this being thier true flagship model. You do not want it to lack in any way performance wise, or even skimp on creature comforts. I know with my 14, it was normal to have to drain something, or not use the wedge at all. By forcing the 575, they are insuring this boat will deliver even with 14 people on board.

You don't want 1 of your 99 problems to be underpowered. Especially if the plan is to upstage the G. Which is how I personally see this boats launch.

Kind of a "there's a new sheriff in town approach "

That is a good point. To add to it. By forcing this model they ensure that the first boats that hit don't have people showing up on forums like this one talking bad about the boat because they cheaped out on motor and are unhappy with perfomance. The boat has yet to be proven. Malibu very well could being ensuring that they don't get bad press from an unproven model by forcing the best of the best. I don't think it would hurt them too much. Those that buy the boat right off the press are likely those that would check every box anyway. Not to say there aren't some sales to be lost in the beginning. I'm sure there are some that may not buy because of the high entry, but planning for the long-term may be the smart play.

• Like 2

Whose definition? WWA hosted professional events in of course the US, but also Canada, Mexico, Portugal, Brazil, Australia, and I think Japan last year. But even if the US Centric narrative is correct, targeting emerging markets (not "expanding," emerging, which is an economic term) does not automatically make a boat a "family or pleasure" boat. It is the NXT 20, with reinforcement to support the engine. Same molds and everything. If you believe that the NXT, which is a direct result of the success of Axis, is a pleasure or family boat, then I suppose I would grant you that. I just don't agree with that assessment.

Look, I'm not trying to be argumentative. I don't expect folks on a Malibu board to go out and embrace was Mastercraft is doing. Hey, I'm in a 'Bu, and i'm pretty sure I could get a MC for a sweet deal (their COO's kids and mine swam competitively on the same team for a few years, in addition to the friend who is an engineer there). I wasn't here when CC launched the G, were folks so dismissive of it, too? I agree overall that MC is trending more towards the affluent families who just want to pull tubes and show a little bling. But then again, I think they are all doing that to a degree.

Look on page 29:

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/AMDA-2F4INY/1042146729x0x729892/A4A3E2D0-C103-48A6-80B5-D29B7EF6D778/MBUU_IP_RayJ%20Conf_3-4-14_final.pdf

Malibu is #1 in international sales and yet just 5% of malibus boats were sold outside of north america in 2013 and since then the dollar has only gotten stronger. So I am in fact pretty comfortable with my "US centric narrative", and I'm fine "defining" the core market as the 95%, the same market that invented and continues to support the segment over the last 40 years, which is a market that has rejected all deviation from a mid-sized, flat-bottommed, hull with inboard power and the most important quality being its wake. I have not said that the NXT OB or 26. was a family/pleasure boat, what I said was that tn-rider appears correct in his observation that MC's most recent observable R&D efforts are not as directed at the CORE MARKET, which is driven by wake performance. Heck that's the whole reason Mastercraft exists is Rob Shirley's desire to make a better wake than a correct craft.

Your personal friendship with Chittum doesn't negate any of the numbers nor redefine what the core market is...sorry, "my" definition of the core market. Mastercraft has tried to foray into other areas before. While I respect their ambition, none have been successful. See the 300, CSX line, and WetJet...and I don't think an outboard nxt 20 will be successful either. Without weight its wake will not be special, has an underpowered engine if it is weighted, doesn't even allow the most dominant new watersport in surfing, and won't ride worth a darn in coastal chop. That doesn't mean no one will buy it, but why would it compete favorably against stern drives and OBs with a tower and better rough water hull? My prediction...it won't. They'll produce them for about 4 years since the tooling is done and like the CSXs, will go by the wayside until mastercraft tries to answer another question nobody asked. In the CORE MARKET mastercraft will continue to help push the envelope for wake performance and stay a market leader.

Lastly, read your underlined sentence above. How does that make any sense when you're bantering with me for agreeing with someone that MC's recent R&D was not focused on pure core performance? You're acknowledging it.

Thank you for the expanding v emerging correction. You'd think with a degree in finance I would have not missed that. :biggrin:

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Meh? I mean this is much better than a boat from 10 years ago, but a quantum performance leap from what people regularly get from their LSVs? Shoot I think Afun gets better out of a last gen VLX.

This is a knee high wave with a short pocket. Unless that guy is 9'6"?

m235%20wage_zpsek87qa4r.png

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 1

Meh? I mean this is much better than a boat from 10 years ago, but a quantum performance leap from what people regularly get from their LSVs? Shoot I think Afun gets better out of a last gen VLX.

This is a knee high wave with a short pocket. Unless that guy is 9'6"?

m235%20wage_zpsek87qa4r.png

Thats what I see as well Shawn.