Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 - G Killer?

Dan Cummins

Honest question...

The consensus so far is that the unproven M235 will be priced above the G23. You think it's going to sale like hotcakes???

From what I've been told that consensus is wrong. I've been told it's on par with the G or possibly less...I could be completely wrong. EVERYONE said the G would never sell because it was a huge bloated ugly boat...they sell like hot cakes

Of course its going to sell. Might take another year before it consistently rolls off the line. But, once someone here picks one up and starts posting real pictures of the wave, and real reviews, the sales will increase.

People keep buying boats, they keep upgrading, regardless of the price increase. You all want a bigger badder wave? The M235 looks like it will do that for you, out of the box.

At 150K is another 20K going to kill you over the term of your loan? Most of you guys flip them before the warranty expires.

I may have to disagree with you here... My dad is/has been a huge basscat owner and fan boy for years. He knows the people that work there personally. Correct Craft just bought Basscat like last year. Basscat still does their design work in Arkansas, not in Florida. CC is just the parent company.

I have no basis to argue. I can only tell you that is the tune they were singing when I toured the factory in early September when my G23 was being built......

Dude, I made no assumption. I don't care its intended purpose is nor target market. I'm responding only to 1021 who was disagreeing with tn-rider that MC's recent redesigns are not aimed at the performance-first buyer. They're aimed at people with other priorities and/ or needs. Which is fine. I've said as much.

I'm not exactly sure what you meant by this: "I agree the OB NXT isn't for the core watersports market. So if it's not, who's it for? Families and pleasure-oriented boaters, which is FINE. I'm not being critical of that strategy."

But it reads to me that you are assuming that the OB is not for the core watersports market, and that it is for families and pleasure-oriented boaters, and that that is MC's strategy. And what you wrote is inconsistent with what MC has stated they are doing with this boat publicly, and also what a friend of mine who has worked on that program has told me. And that it is fore the core watersports market..........outside of North America. Which is why they call it the "Global Edition."

The large tanks are difficult to unload and pump VERY slow.

Better off with 5 gallon cans and the high flow nozzle. I also upgraded the size of my vents and added vents to my ventless cans.

http://www.essentialhardware.com/combined-manufacturing-30051-hi-flo-gas-can-spout-kit-179400.html?utm_campaign=bing&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc

I have the high flow nozzle (just one I switch between 7 5-gallon tanks). It empties a can in a little under a minute and has a long reach which is really nice.

I am not sure the minimum octane for 575. In AZ 91 is as good as it gets. 93 doesn't exist. My LSA is happy with it, only one marina here sells 91, the others are 87.

So I have used cans a few times. I use a piece of clear hose, rough the size of the can opening about 5' long. One end goes in the boat fill, the other to the bottom of the gas can. I set the can on the sunpad, (on a towel), then seal the opening with my hand and squeeze the can with my knees. Once the gas starts to flow, it empties a 5 gallon can in well under a minute. Works like a champ.

Just to clarify a previous post of mine...as of very recently, the 450 is no longer an optional motor on the M235.

The M235 has the 2:1 gear ratio (575 has 1.5:1 on all other Malibu's). To my knowledge, the prop is still a 17x20.

The stock Nautique prop is a 17 X 17. I am curious how it moves with the higher pitch.

I also wonder if they were smart enough to go to a 1.25 inch shaft like Nautique did. Initial testing does not mean a whole lot. Shafts weren't breaking until hundreds of them were on the market. I beleive that the torque on a 17 inch prop is too much for a 1 1/8 shaft.

The large tanks are difficult to unload and pump VERY slow.

Better off with 5 gallon cans and the high flow nozzle. I also upgraded the size of my vents and added vents to my ventless cans.

http://www.essentialhardware.com/combined-manufacturing-30051-hi-flo-gas-can-spout-kit-179400.html?utm_campaign=bing&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc

I have the high flow nozzle (just one I switch between 7 5-gallon tanks). It empties a can in a little under a minute and has a long reach which is really nice.

Will that Hi Flow kit fit on the currently sold cans with those ridiculous "safety" nozzles that spill gas all over the place?

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing... :)

Except for quality control, or their website, or hidden ballast capacity, or stero componets, sub enclosure....

Why is no one disappointed that you still need plug and play with this thing..... 200k and I still need bags.

At least put in some reversibles then so you don't have to drain by gravity.

Edited by Chrisjjbrown

Why is no one disappointed that you still need plug and play with this thing..... 200k and I still need bags.

Because if it didn't have plug n play, people would complain that it lacked it!!!

• Like 3

The stock Nautique prop is a 17 X 17. I am curious how it moves with the higher pitch.

I also wonder if they were smart enough to go to a 1.25 inch shaft like Nautique did. Initial testing does not mean a whole lot. Shafts weren't breaking until hundreds of them were on the market. I beleive that the torque on a 17 inch prop is too much for a 1 1/8 shaft.

Yes, it is a 1.25".

I'm not exactly sure what you meant by this: "I agree the OB NXT isn't for the core watersports market. So if it's not, who's it for? Families and pleasure-oriented boaters, which is FINE. I'm not being critical of that strategy."

But it reads to me that you are assuming that the OB is not for the core watersports market, and that it is for families and pleasure-oriented boaters, and that that is MC's strategy. And what you wrote is inconsistent with what MC has stated they are doing with this boat publicly, and also what a friend of mine who has worked on that program has told me. And that it is fore the core watersports market..........outside of North America. Which is why they call it the "Global Edition."

By definition, the core watersports market is not in third world or as your friend will likely put it, "expanding markets", heck even any market outside the US. Therefore, I agree 100% with your friend's characterization of the niche they're after, but that's NOT the core water sports market, nor is it a market even driven by cutting edge performance. It IS a market driven by different practicalities. It may well perform as the best OB wake boat. And again, there's nothing wrong with that. But that doesn't make tn-rider's observation incorrect as to MCs present R&D allocation.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I would think the core watersports market consists of three countries US, Canada, and Australia. If you were born outside one of those three countries, I would think the likelihood you'll get an opportunity to wakeboard or wakesurf is very low. I didn't say non-existent, just very, very low.

Some friends of ours hosted some high school exchange kids from China for a month during the summer. These kids were the kids of China's 0.1%'ers. We took them out to our cabin and introduced them to watersports. Needless to say they were taking pictures of everything and sending them back home. They had never heard of, nor seen this environment before and anticipated they never would again.

• Like 3

Nope, take it or leave it.

So they would not allow you to order one with a 450? Seems odd, possibly loose a customer to the competition. I believe its close to $18k extra for a super charged engine, if the 450 would do it why not save the cost. There are plenty of G owners running the 450 completely satisfied.

11k @ MSRP for supercharged over 450

Funny thing is last year when 409 was standard on big boats, it was 7k to go LS3 or 12k to go LSA. Only 4600 difference between the 2 last year. I get it new platform but still

Edited by DarkSide

Will that Hi Flow kit fit on the currently sold cans with those ridiculous "safety" nozzles that spill gas all over the place?

The manufactures website listed all compatible cans. It worked on my newer can, but most of mine are the older style.

So they would not allow you to order one with a 450? Seems odd, possibly loose a customer to the competition. I believe its close to $18k extra for a super charged engine, if the 450 would do it why not save the cost. There are plenty of G owners running the 450 completely satisfied.

Plus you have to buy the $10k trailer. Most people buying boats in this price range have no need for a trailer

Plus you have to buy the $10k trailer. Most people buying boats in this price range have no need for a trailer

I'd bet money you don't have to get the trailer. There are plenty of people living on waterfront that have no room for a trailer and pay for dockside service and even winter dry storage (as mentioned above). These are the very people this boat is targeting.

Quick question, anyone else find it odd that Phil Soven never posted a single teaser pic on social media to hype the M235 up? All of their other riders posted at least 2-3 times before the release.

Phil who? The last name sounds familiar, but I thought the first name was Bob... :dontknow:

Edited by Cory
  • Like 3