Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying first Malibu, surfgate question.

Banks13

gated 20 will be a great first year boat but after you drop the rope your going to want more that the 20ft just wont be able to provide. If you get the listd 23' boat you will have to take the time to learn how to set up the wake and how to drive it but will be LIGHT YEARS ahead of knowledge aspect by leaning 2 of the 3 most important aspects of surfing (driving and weighting). You will be able to use/appreciate the 23' much much longer but will be a much harder learning but I feel is one new surfers need to know. Once you learn to weigh a boat properly it opens up so much more to creating "your" wave. the 20' Surfgate boat will make it easy just get out on the water and go but the 20' boat may leave you underwhelmed after you learn to ride.

I say get the 23', learn to drive listed, learn to weight the boat and use the boat for the next 4 yrs. then trade it in on a "surf system" boat.

You could get the LSV, then build your own fixed surf gate for $50. If you like the gate and think it's worth the money, you could have a real surf gate added later on.

I built a surf gate for my 02 VLX and will never surf again without it.

What year 23" would be the most bang for the buck? 2012 is probably newest I can afford. What years were the biggest changes to current look? Thanks again guys for all your input.

There was a refresh and new hull in 2008, so that's the earliest year to look at in your price range, and I believe that same hull ran until 2012 or possibly later (?). The G3 tower series started in 2010 but I'm not sure I'd only look at 2010+ because of that.

I've been very happy with a full year on my 2008 LSV and it seems to have held it's value well too.

I can surf just fine on my 2008 wave, although IXFE will tell you I need to add another 2k of ballast to compare to his wave. But that's just because he's running that extra 2K in his 2015.

There's a running debate on here whether the listed boats (up to 2013) or surf gate boats (2013+) surf better. I'd have to search but you can find some huge listed waves on this site.

I can surf just fine on my 2008 wave, although IXFE will tell you I need to add another 2k of ballast to compare to his wave. But that's just because he's running that extra 2K in his 2015.

There's a running debate on here whether the listed boats (up to 2013) or surf gate boats (2013+) surf better. I'd have to search but you can find some huge listed waves on this site.

I bet you Money IXFE didn't say that...maybe your trying to stir it up. The only reason he carries that much more weight than a listed boat....is....wait for it......Surgate boats require more weight than listed boats!! This is an easy known fact!

My experience with my wife has been the total opposite. Her driving the boat with and without ballast makes her nervous. This has pretty much cemented my overall experience boating. I have had really good times with my friends most of the time and from time to time with the wife. I guess I have been in denial for several years. It's just not her thing. Next season will determine weather or not I continue. I'm tired pulling teeth and get people going on lake day. I know this is a sad statement.

Afun,

You just need to find a couple riding buddies. If i had to wait/rely on my family i would rarely get out. Finally i started saying i am going to the lake saturday morning at 6. If you want to join me great, if you dont want to or cant go that is ok. I will tell you about it when i get home. Ny kids are older than yours, but mrs darkside likes this arrangement. She also gets the day to herself when she xoesnt want to go.

• Like 2

Afun,

You just need to find a couple riding buddies. If i had to wait/rely on my family i would rarely get out. Finally i started saying i am going to the lake saturday morning at 6. If you want to join me great, if you dont want to or cant go that is ok. I will tell you about it when i get home. Ny kids are older than yours, but mrs darkside likes this arrangement. She also gets the day to herself when she xoesnt want to go.

I know we are in the same boat with this one...

I bet you Money IXFE didn't say that...maybe your trying to stir it up. The only reason he carries that much more weight than a listed boat....is....wait for it......Surgate boats require more weight than listed boats!! This is an easy known fact!

Let me clarify what I've said to my good friend NWBU...

To get a truly "rad" surf wave out of his '08 23 LSV he needs to throw some weight at it (beyond stock). I recommended that he use LBJ's recipe.

Never was SG part of the conversation. I know better than to compare.

I guess I have been in denial for several years. It's just not her thing.

This bums me out. My husband isn't as into it as me either, but I plan to stay in denial and continue to drag him out with me.