Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying first Malibu, surfgate question.

Banks13

THANKS for all the info guys. Seems I can't go wrong either way. One more question, is the surf wake in the 23 LSV with ballast, equal to the wake in a 20 FT with surf gate? If so, then I will definitely go with the 23 LSV.

I tried surfing for the first time this past summer.

A properly listed 23lsv will be hands down better than a 20ft gated vtx.

what boat did you try surfing behind and do you know how it was set up for ballast? were you leaning to one side(listed)?

sounds like to me you really need to get out there and demo some boats, there is so many dimensions to what will make you happy in a boat.

Other considerations.

1. Evenly weighted boat with gate is easier to drive than listed. Also safer for newer drivers.

2. Evenly weighted translation is heavier weighted. So you will need more engine/prop and burn more fuel.

I would agree with Anderson24 T22/23 axis. From a wave standpoint these are very good.

2014 23 LSV with surfgate. Yes, leaning to one side. I have no idea of the set up. I could ask for friend that owns that boat for advice as well. As I mentioned before, I'm a former Sea Ray owner, so new to the wake boat world. I would like to get better at surfing, and teach my young son's how to as well one day.

Just being honest but I think you would much prefer the boat WITH surfgate, there is a reason they came out with it and it's a very popular seller.

ANother vote for a 22' Axis (23 if budget permits) with the gate. And Darkside brought up the safety aspect. That isn't considered by many, but I do think it is a serious consideration. Also, an older LSV will lkley have the smaller ballast pumps and hoses, etc. which will take much longer to fill and drain, especially if you have folks who surf on different sides. Before I had a gate on my Axis, I always surfed either switch or backside facing the wave, as it took too long to fill and drain.

Other considerations.

1. Evenly weighted boat with gate is easier to drive than listed. Also safer for newer drivers.

2. Evenly weighted translation is heavier weighted. So you will need more engine/prop and burn more fuel.

I would agree with Anderson24 T22/23 axis. From a wave standpoint these are very good.

#1 is a matter of opinion. Like you suggest in #2 there will likely be more weight. The ones that I have driven weighted like that drive like a pig. And then there's the constant tug on the steering wheel while underway. And that's just my opinion on the matter but it does offer an opposing perspective. Edited by Lance B. Johnson

#1 is a matter of opinion. Like you suggest in #2 there will likely be more weight. The ones that I have driven weighted like that drive like a pig. And then there's the constant tug on the steering wheel while underway. And that's just my opinion on the matter but it does offer an opposing perspective.

Which part of #1 is debatable? No way I would want a newb driving a heavily listed boat.

Which part of #1 is debatable? No way I would want a newb driving a heavily listed boat.

No way I want a newbie driving my heavily weighted surf gate boat.

• Like 1

2014 23 LSV with surfgate. Yes, leaning to one side. I have no idea of the set up. I could ask for friend that owns that boat for advice as well. As I mentioned before, I'm a former Sea Ray owner, so new to the wake boat world. I would like to get better at surfing, and teach my young son's how to as well one day.

Did nobody read this post? Are they really leaning a surf gate boat?

It's just my opinion. I don't think one is worse then the other to be honest. I have experience driving both. So yes I'd say it's debatable.

You dknt have to SLAM a 23LSV to learn to surf. Weight it to get a decent wave and learn to drive it. Add weight as you get more comfortable. Driving a listed boat is not hard. Driving g a SLAMMED listed boat you better be on your toes. Big difference. As for switching sides, a couple reversible pumps, one on each corner and an x-link from bakes and you're talking switching sides in 3-4 min max. Surf regular riders then switch to goofy. Someone always has to go last.

• Like 1

I don't understand what your getting at. I wouldn't let a newb drive any heavily ballasted boat listed or not.

Only me because I have experience in being noob and driving a pig of a boat! It could be done, but I have special kind of talents. I've trained a couple of Noobs on my boat. It could be done. That's all...

• Like 1

We were all newbs at one point. Sounds like the OP has some boating experience. Coming from a sea ray we need to make sure a couple things are clear. No power turns and keep tubing to a minimum in the correct areas (or not at all). As for surfing, take the time to learn before you just go for it and you'll be fine. I would also take a listed 23 over a gated 20 all day.

• Like 2

I'm just going to say " it takes a lot to sink a BU ".....it's easier to bang the boat into a dock, run the prop into the ground, run the boat over a shallow spot, and have another boat eat your roller.

We were all newbs at one point. Sounds like the OP has some boating experience. Coming from a sea ray we need to make sure a couple things are clear. No power turns and keep tubing to a minimum in the correct areas (or not at all). As for surfing, take the time to learn before you just go for it and you'll be fine. I would also take a listed 23 over a gated 20 all day.

I think we should make a boating etiquette video to show boaters what areas of the lake are appropriate/safe for tubing. Too many times I have been cut off in a narrow cove by a zig zaging tuber.

• Like 3

Only me because I have experience in being noob and driving a pig of a boat! It could be done, but I have special kind of talents. I've trained a couple of Noobs on my boat. It could be done. That's all...

Totally agree. My wife picked it up super fast and really is one of the best drivers (listed). My friend on the other hand has special needs and is the worst boat driver lol.

• Like 2

Totally agree. My wife picked it up super fast and really is one of the best drivers (listed). My friend on the other hand has special needs and is the worst boat driver lol.

Ha! Same here. Wife does great with the boat weighted. And did great with it listed. The friend of mine with a couple hundred hours behind the helm of an I/O took rollers over the bow each time he drive my Axis (though he wouldn't fall in the special needs/worst ever). I think learning on an inboard rather than an I/O makes a HUGE difference.

Edited by 67King
  • Like 1

Ha! Same here. Wife does great with the boat weighted. And did great with it listed. The friend of mine with a couple hundred hours behind the helm of an I/O took rollers over the bow each time he drive my Axis (though he wouldn't fall in the special needs/worst ever). I think learning on an inboard rather than an I/O makes a HUGE difference.

In all walks of life except boat driving he is not special needs :lol:

For *most people* who are looking to create a consistent surfable wave with minimal effort (both in setup and in driving), SG is definitely easier. It will create a legitimate surfable wave right out of the box with minimal tinkering. Now I'm talking about running factory 550s and stock ballast. No doubt in that configuration the SG boat is going to be easier to drive than a listed boat creating a similar wave.

But I would rather surf a listed 23 than a gated 20. The gated 20 can't put up a fair fight against a 23' boat whether gated or listed.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 2

My experience with my wife has been the total opposite. Her driving the boat with and without ballast makes her nervous. This has pretty much cemented my overall experience boating. I have had really good times with my friends most of the time and from time to time with the wife. I guess I have been in denial for several years. It's just not her thing. Next season will determine weather or not I continue. I'm tired pulling teeth and get people going on lake day. I know this is a sad statement.

• Like 2