Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Why 2016 Wakesetter LSV over MC X30

teamG

Just asking because it seems to be the hot topic here. Has anybody seen a hull failure on either? Even on the top deck where the tower mounts?

It depends on what you call a hull failure. A guy we spend a lot of time with has a Mastercraft X7 and the whole side (both sides) spider cracked so bad it was unreal. It took a couple of years but Mastercraft finally took the boat back, shipped it to the factory and repaired it. He has had no problems since that repair was done. Now do I think it was a hull "failure"? No, I would venture a guess that the gelcoat had an issue.

Back to the OP's question. Demo, demo, demo. After that its not a bad decision either way. get out on the water and enjoy yourself. This thread is simply ridiculous on both fronts. Name calling, religious attacks, weak fibreglass, thick fibreglass, something about choppers.................

I just come here to keep tabs on how crappy my boat is

If it wasn't for the ugly graphics, tower and vinyl patterns nautiques would be awesome;) Good news is that Malibu seems to be trying to keep up with the ugly vinyl patterns for 2016.

If it wasn't for the ugly graphics, tower, vinyl patterns, and owners nautiques would be awesome;) Good news is that Malibu seems to be trying to keep up with the ugly vinyl patterns for 2016.

Fixed that for ya...

:innocent:

I don't have much to input here as I can't compare the two boats...wait I think you guys threw in Nautique too.....

But anyway just how many hull failures on malibus are reported here? My memory is poor but I can't remember a single person complaining except for maybe the guy that left his boat in the water for months and that was more of a gel issue. And not a Malibu problem IMHO.

Long story short you guys arguing about hull construction need to consider this. Besides even if one is better then the other all it does is drive up the price unnecessarily.

Now, the same exact thing can be said about tower construction. How many reported G3 failures? None or next to none. No point in arguing about that either. I find my G3 very easy to collapse. I have to do it every time it goes back in the garage and I am over 100 hours this summer. So I fold mine lots. Board racks off, speakers off, fold tower, done. I use a motorcycle tie down and secure it to the cleat to hold the tower in the collapsed position.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson
  • Like 2

I have a G3 on my boat and it's rock solid! One day on the lake coming back to the dock I noticed a lot of movement and noise. I slowed to an idle and one of the knobs had come loose. Tightened it up by hand and voila!...no more noise or movement. I also don't understand the people that say the G3 tower is hard to put up/down cause it's heavy. I have to lower mine every time it goes in the garage. I have a Bimini, 2 PTM racks and 4 speakers. When I take out the knobs, the tower stays up on it's OWN! I have to push it down. It rests on the dash lightly. In the garage it goes. Then I push it back up and it stays up on it's OWN! I install the knobs, done. Other than maybe 2 more racks, I'm not sure what would make the tower heavier. And when I install or remove the knobs I just grab the top of the side of the tower and pull back. It's a one man job. Easy. I do kinda wish I had the latches of the G3.2 though. Oh well. I like the tower personally.

• Like 1

Just watched the Malibu factory tour and a couple things stood out:

1. At 8:55 they show the interior of a boat. I noticed the seat supports appear to be fiberglass. My understanding was all Malibu/Axis used a stainless steel support covered with carpet for the cushions to rest on. Am I misinformed, or is this just used on a couple models?
  2. She states “12 degrees of deadrise allow the boat to ride higher on the water providing a smoother ride.” Isn’t the idea of a wake boat to ride low to displace more water?
  3. 14:20 as they are putting the vinyl on the foam, I noticed there is no plastic liner to prevent moisture getting into the foam – something that many other manufacturers do.
  4. 15:00 “premium Teflon thread.” I would be curious to know the specifics of what kind of thread since there have apparently been many malibus with thread issues lately. I am pretty sure it is not Gore-Tex like Nautique and MC.

• At 8:55 they show the interior of a boat. I noticed the seat supports appear to be fiberglass. My understanding was all Malibu/Axis used a stainless steel support covered with carpet for the cushions to rest on. Am I misinformed, or is this just used on a couple models?
  • She states 12 degrees of deadrise allow the boat to ride higher on the water providing a smoother ride. Isnt the idea of a wake boat to ride low to displace more water?
  • 14:20 as they are putting the vinyl on the foam, I noticed there is no plastic liner to prevent moisture getting into the foam something that many other manufacturers do.
  • 15:00 premium Teflon thread. I would be curious to know the specifics of what kind of thread since there have apparently been many malibus with thread issues lately. I am pretty sure it is not Gore-Tex like Nautique and MC.

What boat do you own Mr. Attention to detail?

1. At 8:55 they show the interior of a boat. I noticed the seat supports appear to be fiberglass. My understanding was all Malibu/Axis used a stainless steel support covered with carpet for the cushions to rest on. Am I misinformed, or is this just used on a couple models?
  2. She states “12 degrees of deadrise allow the boat to ride higher on the water providing a smoother ride.” Isn’t the idea of a wake boat to ride low to displace more water?
  3. 14:20 as they are putting the vinyl on the foam, I noticed there is no plastic liner to prevent moisture getting into the foam – something that many other manufacturers do.
  4. 15:00 “premium Teflon thread.” I would be curious to know the specifics of what kind of thread since there have apparently been many malibus with thread issues lately. I am pretty sure it is not Gore-Tex like Nautique and MC.

I haven't seen any manufactures put plastic over the foam. My friends G21, another friends ASR, and my VLX all get squishy and water logged if they get water on the seats

I haven't seen any manufactures put plastic over the foam. My friends G21, another friends ASR, and my VLX all get squishy and water logged if they get water on the seats

And to that end, I would think a liner would be worse. You'd be trapping water in between vinyl and non-permeable plastic. Now, any water drains through the foam and through the vents on the underside of the seats.

• Like 2

I have pictures, however since i have not paid for membership, i cannot attach them..

The plastic covers the top surface between the vinyl and foam and extends about halfway down the sides - plastic does not cover the bottom of the foam.

My understanding is the plastic is there to force moisture to go around the foam and drain/evaporate through the vents. This way there is much less of a chance for the foam to get waterlogged just from water sitting on the vinyl.

I was just making an observation in the video, i guess i should have formatted it as a question rather than a statement.

I am really only familiar with Nautique and MC which is why i am trying to understand more about the Malibu process.

I don't see it as a benefit. The foam will still suck up the water that doesn't go out the drain holes, then it will collect on the plastic. I know my friends G21 doesn't have this on his vinyl. I'd rather allow for the water to evaporate through the vinyl. Plastic just creates a non permeable place for mold and other things to build up under.

Each manufacture has their own way of doing things, though most are just more based on preference than actually adding quality.

I don't see it as a benefit. The foam will still suck up the water that doesn't go out the drain holes, then it will collect on the plastic. I know my friends G21 doesn't have this on his vinyl. I'd rather allow for the water to evaporate through the vinyl. Plastic just creates a non permeable place for mold and other things to build up under.

Each manufacture has their own way of doing things, though most are just more based on preference than actually adding quality.

I suppose it could go either way - maybe it works, maybe it doesnt. Just an observation of different processes. However, Nautique does this which i know as a fact. If only i could post pictures...

But anyway, I'm really curious as to what kind of thread Malibu is using

You can post pictures. Put them on a hosting site like photobucket and then link it here.

From the help section.

How to Post Images to the Forum

There are 2 methods to display an image within the forums. You can either link an image from another site, or attach an image to the post. We will cover both methods here.

Linking images from an external site

Linking (also called embedding) an image from another site is one way to display an image within your post. This method is available to all members since it requires no site resources other than the post itself. The image will show up large within the post, although it will be reduced to the width of the board. To do this, you need to have the images loaded on a site that allows hotlinking. Photobucket is a popular free image hosting & photo sharing site. Another option for paid members is to link from their gallery here on TheMalibuCrew.com.

Then you need to use the image tags around the link (without spaces), like this:

Sites such as Photobucket offer the code that you need all ready to go. Look for the image sharing options, it should have an IMG or BBCODE entry. Copy the code from that field into your post, and you'll be all finished. Or you can copy the url from the "direct" link that most sites also have, and put it inside of the IMG tags as shown above.

If you are not using a site with those options, you will need to find the file location. If you right click the image, then go to Properties, that will bring up a window. Copy the entire address string under Address or Location, depending on your browser. From there, you need to use the IMG tags provided by the forum. Click on the "Image" icon in the toolbar and paste the address string into the window that pops up. Click "Insert Image", taking care to place your cursor in the correct spot in the posting window. If you are using the rich text editor, you will see the image show up in the window. If you are using the plain text editor, you will see the address string show up wrapped in IMG tags in the posting window. Click the preview option to see how it will look when it is posted, making any changes that you feel necessary, then click "Post" to submit the post.

Attaching an image

The other method of displaying an image within a post is to attach it. This option is only available to paid members, as it take site resources to use this method. The image will display as a small thumbnail which can be enlarged by clicking on it. Uploaded files are limited to 300k in file size per post, so you will need to make sure that you re-size your images appropriately. Usually an image re-sized to 800x600 in pixel size will work.

Default Uploader

The default uploader allows you to upload attachments one at a time. To begin, press the button. A box will appear for you to select the file on your computer that you want to attach. Select the file you want to upload.

If you change your mind, you can press the button and then choose a different file.

Once you have selected the file you want, press Attach the file. If there are any errors uploading the file, you will receive an error message, otherwise, you will see the attachment appear.

Flash Uploader

You can enable the flash uploader from your settings menu. When enabled, you will be able to easily upload more than one file at a time.

To start, press Click to Attach Files. A box will appear for you to select the file or files on your computer that you want to attach. Select the file or files you want to upload. You can select more than one file at a time by holding Ctrl (on Windows) or Command (on Mac) and click on the files.

Once you have selected your files and clicked "Open", they will begin uploading. If there are any errors uploading the files, you will receive an error message, otherwise, you will see the attachments appear.

Managing Attachments

Regardless of which uploader you use, once the files are uploaded you will see them on your screen. By default, all attachments are added to the bottom of your message, however, you can add any attachment to a particular section of your post by placing the cursor where you want to place the image and the press the "Add to Post" link.

If you wish to remove an attachment and have it not appear in your post, simply press the "Delete" link.

Edited by Malibuzer