Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Good surf board for bigger guys?

Brett B

Got to ride the Model X this past weekend and really like it a lot. Calling it a souped up Broadcast is a pretty good description. Much faster, much more responsive, and a whole lot more fun. I was able to keep my feet more centered on the board while still having enough speed so I didn't have near the problems with burying the nose like the Broadcast. Was able to ride further back on the wave and recover back into the pocket unlike with the Broadcast. It's pretty stable and locked in with the 3 fins, and removing the center fin certainly made it easier to break the back end loose. Had my best 360 attempt yet, a clean spin still in the pocket of the wave, but just not enough speed going into it to keep from falling out the back of the pocket.

I feel I am on the edge of max weight for the Model X at 220lbs (with my wave) but it will still work well, especially if I drop down a few pounds. The Trident would probably be an easier board for me to ride with even more speed, but I like the maneuverability and response I'm getting with the Model X so I will keep riding it to get better. Overall very pleased with this purchase.

Now the wife wants one of her own of course! She is at the opposite end of the spectrum at 5' tall and 100 lbs. Suggestions for a good off-the-shelf hybrid style board better suited for her? She could probably surf a wakeskate but I was thinking something like the Phase 5 Icon or Super Fish would be good since it would be more than just her riding this board.

Brett - I am about the same as you and in the past 2 years my weight has fluctuated b/t the 220 and 205 mark.

The broadcast board is a PIG - sits deep in the water and is soooo sooooooo slow. My 120lb wife used to ride the 5-4 and she hated it.

We both ride the CWB Tsunami in the 5-4....its a great board!

I'm 510 and 220 and I got the Hyperlite shim 5'4 it's fast! I took it to a friend who hasn't been able to surf without rope as they have a poor wave and they were surfing with ease. I can get way farther back with this than all the others I've tried. Also I can hit 360 all day long and can nearly get a 720 so close all the time. I think it's very fast and responsive IMO . It's super lite and boyant IMO . Everyone who tries it's loves it for what it's worth.

• 3 years later...

I am 230lbs.  We have a 2017 22 VLX.  We have three boards that I am able to surf on.  However, my favorite is the Ronix Thumbtail+ Technora.  It has a single fin and the nose and tail have similar profiles so that you can easily switch from regular to goofy.  Thick board design for lots of buoyancy.  The bummer is that the kids put this board along the back seat last week and on the way home it flew out and got some pretty bad road rash.  Ouch!!!!  Oh, well.  Time to look for something similar or who knows, maybe something new.  I think the Marshmellow thrasher is pretty similar design to my Thumbtail+