Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Upgrading to '16. Need opinions and ideas

ID AX

I haven't noticed any surging our on regular cruise, not sure if GPS cruise would be worth it IMO.

350 w/ 2249 has been fine for us, but we're only around 1000' elevation.

I disagree on the spinner racks, we use them EVERYTIME we're out as my wife is short/weak so can't reach out/around to put a board on the rack. Also when we kept the boat in a slip for a week at Norris the boat would NOT fit without the racks spun in.

We went pretty basic on the options, but the only option I WOULD NOT order ever again is the snap in carpet. HATE HATE HATE it. Once it's wet it takes forever to dry, and that's when I pull it out and hang it in the garage. I've left it in for a 3 day weekend once and I don't think it dried slightly even in 95* heat. Now we regularly run without carpet in the boat, just because it's too much of a hassle removing the main piece everytime because it goes under the rear slider seat. Definitely think I'll order Gator Step for the flooring.

Congrats, love our T22 as well.

This is why we ordered the Aqua fusion. Pull it out after a long weekend, rinse it off and hang it on the drying rack. 45 mins later it's pretty much dry. I asked the dealer about it when we ordered and he said it wasn't even worth talking about. It was a very small up charge and we really like it. Never feels Soaking wet.

• Like 2

Another upgrade we are really enjoying is the Decadence floor mat, its super nice on the feet and I have yet to clean it all season because it does not absorb anything. Everyone who has been on the boat loves it....it also seems to be wearing very well, looks brand new after 115 hours this year.

Edited by Fman

Curious, why the switch from A22 to T22?

CEO has given approval for cost benefit analysis

I liked the A series and got my way with the '14 and she likes the T series. It's her turn this time :)

While not much the T22 is cheaper than the A22

+1 for Zero Off, all of the 2015 Wakesetters come with it standard. How much are you saving now on the Axis with the motor upgrade and zero off included with a VLX? It has to be narrowing the gap.

We aren't planning on a motor upgrade for the T22. There was almost a 30K difference between VLX and T22. That's before any winter incentives.

C'mon man is there even a lake IN Alabama that's above 1000'? The difference between 1000' and 5000' is night an

Did OP mention he was at 5000'? i must have missed that.

Yep, I see it now... was after midnight. LOL

Edited by bamabonners

He lives in Boise which is 2700 feet. He never really mentioned what altitude the lakes are at he visits (or maybe i missed it). Even 2700 feet is a 9% drop in effeciency. Crazy to go 350 if you ask me, mine struggled at 2000' with 2315 prop, 3000 lbs ballast, and wedge 2 clicks up, 10.6 max speed for surfing. The 2249 will help but his rpms will be screaming high, especially with a lower geared transmission. Hopefully he can demo a comparable boat with weight and altitude he will be using it at.

Edited by Fman

We aren't planning on a motor upgrade for the T22. There was almost a 30K difference between VLX and T22. That's before any winter incentives.

If you upgraded Axis to the 410, and added zero off gps it's $30k difference between the vlx and T22? Yikes, that is quite a bit of difference. What is a T22 with 350 approx selling for these days?

We do live in Boise and our main lake is around 3000'. My family has a cabin in McCall Idaho and it is at 5000'. The 410 in the axis doesn't gain anything. It only has a 1.46 gear reduction vs 1.72 for the 350. If you want a true upgrade then you have to go to the 450 which has 1.72 GR

If you upgraded Axis to the 410, and added zero off gps it's $30k difference between the vlx and T22? Yikes, that is quite a bit of difference. What is a T22 with 350 approx selling for these days?

No 30k difference was before upgrades. 450 motor with 1.72 GR is approx 9300.00 and zero off is 750.00. Still almost 20K difference.

Heavy on options the T22 with base motor should be between 65 and 75. Area and season has a lot to do with it. Axis doesn't have nearly as much margin built in. We are waiting to see what the fall/winter incentives will be

This is why we ordered the Aqua fusion. Pull it out after a long weekend, rinse it off and hang it on the drying rack. 45 mins later it's pretty much dry. I asked the dealer about it when we ordered and he said it wasn't even worth talking about. It was a very small up charge and we really like it. Never feels Soaking wet.

I wish we knew this prior to ordering. First boat for us though, definitely know better for the next one! :)

I think it's like 70 dollars more than carpet. We will either order this or go with gator step. The carpet is yuck

No motor upgrade required in the T22. We run a full crew with full plug and play ballast without the slightest struggle to get on plane. I think there's a huge difference between the 2014 330 and the 2015+ 350 with the 1.72:1 gear ratio.

• Like 2

No motor upgrade required in the T22. We run a full crew with full plug and play ballast without the slightest struggle to get on plane. I think there's a huge difference between the 2014 330 and the 2015+ 350 with the 1.72:1 gear ratio.

Outta curiosity what prop are you running on the 15?

Mine was mid-upper 60s, pretty loaded and with metal flake and upgraded trailer. I paid extra on top of that for the z5.

Edited by bamabonners

Mine was mid-upper 60s, pretty loaded and with metal flake and upgraded trailer. I paid extra on top of that for the z5.

Mid 60's is about right for a well optioned T22.

• Like 1

FAE on these are a very poor design and shake the boats at low speeds, opt out and order a after market one from Larry at FAE.

FAE on these are a very poor design and shake the boats at low speeds, opt out and order a after market one from Larry at FAE.

Has anyone else found this to be the case? Also, with the CAT's on these, does the FAE or Surfpipe make that big a difference? I seem to recall other threads debating this and no definitive conclusion to the debate.