Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

T22 Steering requires way too much effort

^^^ oh, that makes sense... I also misread your post. You should not be having steering cable issues on a 2014 boat. I say take it to your dealer and let the warranty take care of it. How many hours are on the boat?

80 Hours.

I am taking it in at the end of the season for some other work. I was hoping to do something to improve it until then since it's a bit of a pain for me to get it to the dealer.

I can move my rudder pretty easily from the bottom of the boat. If you cant, id disconnect the steering cable from the tiller arm then try again. If it moves easily, then you know its a cable issues. If its still hard then something is binding. (bent rudder, faulty rudder box).

As you already know the rudder is non-serviceable. Malibu does not recommend adding grease anyways (dropping the rudder and greasing the shaft). I have seen someone on the axis forums swap out their rudder and box for a serviceable malibu rudder/box.

Good luck.

I can move my rudder pretty easily from the bottom of the boat. If you cant, id disconnect the steering cable from the tiller arm then try again. If it moves easily, then you know its a cable issues. If its still hard then something is binding. (bent rudder, faulty rudder box).

As you already know the rudder is non-serviceable. Malibu does not recommend adding grease anyways (dropping the rudder and greasing the shaft). I have seen someone on the axis forums swap out their rudder and box for a serviceable malibu rudder/box.

Good luck.

Thanks. I will try disconnecting the cable this weekend.

• 2 months later...

Ok, so as a follow-up to this. It was not the cable, it was the rudder box. It was pretty much siezed up at the end of September. My dealer replaced it with the Malibu style box so hopefully I don't have this issue again. The Axis rudder box is a piece of junk. It failed in 1.5 seasons with 80 hours. My steering is nice and smooth again, so I am looking forward to testing it out in the water next spring.

• Like 2

Ok, so as a follow-up to this. It was not the cable, it was the rudder box. It was pretty much siezed up at the end of September. My dealer replaced it with the Malibu style box so hopefully I don't have this issue again. The Axis rudder box is a piece of junk. It failed in 1.5 seasons with 80 hours. My steering is nice and smooth again, so I am looking forward to testing it out in the water next spring.

I thought I responded to this post with rudder box but I know I've mentioned it in the Axis forum for a couple posts over the years about stiff steering. Seems the ones that fail do so fairly early with hardly any hours. My steering got stiff in my 2011 when I had it around 150hrs. Edited by AJWest

I would have thought Malibu and Axis use the same rudder box? no?

I wonder how much they save doing that, my guess is it can't be much difference in price between the two.

Plus the warranty time/labor if done under warranty only to replace with the Malibu box.

• 5 months later...

I just had the rudder box replaced by the dealer after 1 season (110 hrs).  Axis wouldn't authorize them to replace with the Malibu part so hopefully the new Axis rudder box will last.

27 minutes ago, gsuge said:

I just had the rudder box replaced by the dealer after 1 season (110 hrs).  Axis wouldn't authorize them to replace with the Malibu part so hopefully the new Axis rudder box will last.

Sorry to hear this. I had my first experience with the new rudder box last weekend. It was amazing. Even better than when I got the Axis new.

6 hours ago, Raimie said:

Sorry to hear this. I had my first experience with the new rudder box last weekend. It was amazing. Even better than when I got the Axis new.

I'm looking forward to getting the boat back...I don't think it was ever right from the start.  

Did they replace your steering cable as well?  I'm just wondering now if the junk rudder box caused abnormal wear on the cable.

13 hours ago, gsuge said:

I'm looking forward to getting the boat back...I don't think it was ever right from the start.  

Did they replace your steering cable as well?  I'm just wondering now if the junk rudder box caused abnormal wear on the cable.

No. The cable was fine.

• 1 month later...

Through which under-the-helm hole is your steering wheel routed?

Let me explain: I just got my 2016 A24 and the steering was hard even on the trailer!! Under the helm, to the right side of the steering wheel there's 2 holes for cables to go through.  My steering cable was routed through the one closer to the steering wheel and was bent to the max. I unscrewed the rack and pinion system under the steering wheel, the horn and the control panel on the right of the wheel. I was then able to re-route the steering cable with the black rack box attached to it, through the other hole.

Steering is now 70% lighter. The best mod I've done!!!

Can't post pixs, check out "2016 A24 stereo system and light" on the axis forum and you'll see what I mean.