Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 MXZ coming?

DarkSide

Not sure about Bu...... and MC is also different for the most part. 1-3, and 9-12 should be the same type system for all boat manufacturers. Digits 4-8 are the manufacturer serial digits, and might vary in format. MC uses letters. CC uses numbers...... But the number system for CC is-

1st, 2nd, 3rd digits = Manufacturer code. (CTC for CorrectCraft, MBC for MasterCraft. Guessing Malibu might be MBU?? I can't remember)

4th digit= Model Series (Mine is 6, which designates a Super air Nautique)

5th Digit= Model (Mine is 4, which designates a G23)

6th, 7th, and 8th, (serial designation. build sequence number. mine is 097)

9th-10th Digit= Build date designation- (I5= September 15th)

11th-12th= Build year. (16)

That is incorrect.

9th and 10th I5 means Sept 2015 not sept 15th

Not sure about Bu...... and MC is also different for the most part. 1-3, and 9-12 should be the same type system for all boat manufacturers. Digits 4-8 are the manufacturer serial digits, and might vary in format. MC uses letters. CC uses numbers...... But the number system for CC is-

1st, 2nd, 3rd digits = Manufacturer code. (CTC for CorrectCraft, MBC for MasterCraft. Guessing Malibu might be MBU?? I can't remember)

4th digit= Model Series (Mine is 6, which designates a Super air Nautique)

5th Digit= Model (Mine is 4, which designates a G23)

6th, 7th, and 8th, (serial designation. build sequence number. mine is 097)

9th-10th Digit= Build date designation- (I5= September 15th)

11th-12th= Build year. (16)

In the automotive world, VINs are standardized. But I am not convinced the above is correct, as it only allows a sequence number of 3 digits. What happens when an OEM sells 1,000 boats (note in the auto world sequence is by plant, regardless of model, so it would HAVE to be 4 digits at least if it followed the same, which I'm not implying, but rather wondering)? Of course if none of this is standardized, they don't have to follow a certain system.

Mine:

MB2

K

327 (this may make sense, I don't know. Was it only half as popular as the 23LSV?)

F5 (this would certainly make sense as it was a June 2015 build)

15 (and it is a 2015 year model)

Edited by 67King

Here is my HID

Model 6371 = 24MXZ

F=June

515 unit number

Nope, that is not what it means

MB2 = Malibu

L6371 = Model Code/Serial (Not 100% on how they break this up. Could be L 6371 or L6 371)

F = June Mfg Month

5 = 2015 Mfg Year

15 = 2015 Model Year

Edited by oldjeep

For my 2012 VTX

MB2F5126L112

MB2 = Malibu

F5126 = Model Code/Serial (could be F 5126 or F5 126 - not 100% on how they break up the code/serial)

L = Dec Mfg Month

1 = 2011 Mfg Year

12 = 2012 Model Year

Edited by oldjeep

Called Bu dealer :)

Old Jeep has it right.

Malibu serial number- 4th-8th digit is broken down as follows-

4th=Model Line

5th=Model series designation. (This would be the one they would change if they jumped over 1K on a specific model.

6th, 7th, 8th= build number.

Called Bu dealer :)

Old Jeep has it right.

Malibu serial number- 4th-8th digit is broken down as follows-

4th=Model Line

5th=Model series designation. (This would be the one they would change if they jumped over 1K on a specific model.

6th, 7th, 8th= build number.

Nice. On the 5th - is that something that happens irrespective of the year and the serial started at 001 for the first year of a Model Line and was not reset each model year?

IE the first unit of the first year of L Model line = L0001 and lets say the last was L0098, was the first unit in year+1 L0099 or L0001 again? makes more sense that it would be L0099 just judging by some of the numbers that people are seeing.

Edited by oldjeep

Dealer said the 5th digit is a pretty big variable. He said it used to designate the generation of that model. That doesn't apply anymore. His comment was "I think they just pick a random digit to put after the model designation, and then run with it". Seems like a 6 is the number that Malibu likes there right now....

Dealer said the 5th digit is a pretty big variable. He said it used to designate the generation of that model. That doesn't apply anymore. His comment was "I think they just pick a random digit to put after the model designation, and then run with it". Seems like a 6 is the number that Malibu likes there right now....

Must be random per model. Looks like the 2015 VTX my dealer has in stock has a 3 there now

FWIW - these appear to be the Model codes for current(ish) models

H 25 LSV

L 24 MXZ

W 247 LSV

S 23 LSV

F 20 VTX

T TXI

K VLX

M 22 MXZ

Based off of that info, 67king and I both have june 15 boats. His is boat 327 mine is 371, that would imply the 24 MXZ sold better than 22 VLX???

I bet they serialize a bit differently. I bet one of two things happens. One is that they serialize the molds or models, and rather than start at 001 from the prior year, they start wherever they left off. So if I had the very last VLX, the next one would be MB2K6372G615. Another is that they sequence them by the plant, and just keep it rolling on so that at some point in say December, they'll hit 999, and the next boat will be 000, like odometers in cars that didn't account for 100,000 miles.

This is, of course, all speculation. I would expect that the 22-23' boats are the most popular. I would expect that there is a big gap from the 23LSV/22VLX/22MXZ to the 247 (now 25)LSV/24MXZ. I'd be very surprised if the 24MXZ outsold the 22VLX. But, I've been wrong before (reference earlier in this thread about the new model)!

MB2K6863J213

MB2=Malibu

K=Wakesetter VLX

6863=Number of boat built since the last rollover(tops out at 9999 then begins again at 0001)

J=Month built, October

2=Year built, 2012

13=Model year of boat, 2013

Edited by 23LSVOwner