Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Wakesetter VTX

saxton15

I went out in one last night. Awesome boat. Love how the redesigned the interior. Felt spacious for a 20' boat.

I did not get to ski it because of how much traffic but we found calm water for a second to get to 36mph. Didn't look at any of the other speeds. I hope to demo it more in depth soon. The wake is very flat and slightly flatter with the bow ballast full. The rooster tail is interesting looking though and it the wake for skiing will solely determine on how soft it is. Here is a picture of 36mph with three guys in the boat about 600ish pounds and bow ballast full. I think it has potential to be ask good as the previous model.

image_49.jpg

Prospective is a funny thing. Trough looks deeper to what I am used to seeing behind our 08.

This is 36 mph, bow tank half full and two guys in the boat. For Reference 22 off puts you bang dead on top of the rooster.

I am also interested to hear from someone who has skied the new hull.....not that a new boat is even remotely in my future.

21335703019_3bf31029da_o.jpgDSC_1097 by FlickFest, on Flickr

I surfed it today. It was pretty damn awesome for stock plus 5 guys at maybe 150-175 each. Needs some help with bow weight for sure like ther malibus. Some time to understand the best wedge position speed and weight and it will be very good imo. Hope to ski it next weekend.

• Like 2

Prospective is a funny thing. Trough looks deeper to what I am used to seeing behind our 08.

This is 36 mph, bow tank half full and two guys in the boat. For Reference 22 off puts you bang dead on top of the rooster.

I am also interested to hear from someone who has skied the new hull.....not that a new boat is even remotely in my future.

21335703019_3bf31029da_o.jpgDSC_1097 by FlickFest, on Flickr

I think you are right judging those two pictures. But I would only say it's deeper on the 16 for very short line which probably doesn't effect any of us. J was paying attention to where 15-28 off would be.

I think you are right judging those two pictures. But I would only say it's deeper on the 16 for very short line which probably doesn't effect any of us. J was paying attention to where 15-28 off would be.

In addition to skiing it at longer lines, you mind trying it out at slower speeds as well and giving us your thoughts? I know in the end I'll have to eventually demo it myself, but if they truly improved the surf wave without hurting the ski wake at slower speeds (28 to 32), I'd be seriously interested in upgrading. Just having troubles seeing how they accomplished the latter when they added a bunch more freeboard and weight.

Did you confirm if the hull actually changed? Or is it just the top deck that changed to accommodate the new interior?

That is my understanding. It is wider and the reshaping it slightly to accompany the added width, weight and freeboard.

In addition to skiing it at longer lines, you mind trying it out at slower speeds as well and giving us your thoughts? I know in the end I'll have to eventually demo it myself, but if they truly improved the surf wave without hurting the ski wake at slower speeds (28 to 32), I'd be seriously interested in upgrading. Just having troubles seeing how they accomplished the latter when they added a bunch more freeboard and weight.

Sure. I can look at 30-36. I think they kept it good by seeing it in person. Will it be as good as the previous? Only skiing it will determine it because of the bump/rooster tail. I can for sure say it will be better than the x20 wake Mastercraft just advertised on Facebook... :rofl:

Seemed to do pretty dang good. No idea what prop was on it. My biggest take away is that it is LOUD.

Weird. That sucks actually. I like the fact that I can have a conversation with my observer at 36 MPH without needing to shout.

Is there an expansion crossover chamber anymore? On the Indmar V's, you'd have that big Silent-Rider unit canceling out exhaust pulses and generally quieting things down nicely.

from having owned a raptor truck with the 6.2 the loudness is engine noise not exhaust noise. It sounded cool in the truck when you ran wo to red line but I'm guessing might get old in a boat.
  • 2 weeks later...

Excuses, excuses.....TMC is counting on you to get this done!

I crawled around on the boat that ahopkins is hoping to take out one of these days. I was really worried that I would have severe buyer's remorse after just buying a '15 MY VTX. After spending some more time with my new boat and getting used to some of the features it has, enjoying the ski wake, and really getting the feel for the optimum surf wake, I'm really happy with my decision to pull the trigger on the '15. I've already put on over 40 hours since the middle of August, which is probably more than my whole summer last year.

The changes to the '16 are really nice. I can definitely see how the transom seating would help people putting wakeboards on, but it's not something that I do very often on my boat. I do like the tweaks to the layout with cupholders and speakers better positioned up front, which my wife complains about on our '15. I'm used to the dash now and have started using the presets more and more. I didn't play around with the new dash that everyone else is used to on the larger models. I'm sure it's nice, but now I'm used to mine and don't really feel that anything there is lacking. It is tough to explain to guest drivers who have to search for controls, but that's not the norm.

I did have concerns about the new fabrics, even before reading the thread that got shut down last week. Ahopkins made the comment to me that some careful fabric selections will need to be made. I fully agree, or there will be disappointed new owners with stains and tears that didn't come as easily on their old boats. I also didn't care for the grey/gunmetal main structure on the G3 tower. It was going to be very difficult to keep clean.

The boat seems noticeably larger on the outside, but I think the same basic feel is there on the interior. The update gel coat and fabric patterns definitely gave the boat a "fresh" look and ties it more into the larger models.

I am still curious about the wakes and hope to get out there with ahopkins one of these days. But as far as them being "better" than what I have on the '15, I'm skeptical. The VTX is a darned good crossover boat and since nobody has outdone it since it was introduced in '07, I'm not confident that it can get significantly better in both extremes of skiing and surfing. One of these days, somebody will tell us...

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Excuses, excuses.....TMC is counting on you to get this done!

I crawled around on the boat that ahopkins is hoping to take out one of these days. I was really worried that I would have severe buyer's remorse after just buying a '15 MY VTX. After spending some more time with my new boat and getting used to some of the features it has, enjoying the ski wake, and really getting the feel for the optimum surf wake, I'm really happy with my decision to pull the trigger on the '15. I've already put on over 40 hours since the middle of August, which is probably more than my whole summer last year.

The changes to the '16 are really nice. I can definitely see how the transom seating would help people putting wakeboards on, but it's not something that I do very often on my boat. I do like the tweaks to the layout with cupholders and speakers better positioned up front, which my wife complains about on our '15. I'm used to the dash now and have started using the presets more and more. I didn't play around with the new dash that everyone else is used to on the larger models. I'm sure it's nice, but now I'm used to mine and don't really feel that anything there is lacking. It is tough to explain to guest drivers who have to search for controls, but that's not the norm.

I did have concerns about the new fabrics, even before reading the thread that got shut down last week. Ahopkins made the comment to me that some careful fabric selections will need to be made. I fully agree, or there will be disappointed new owners with stains and tears that didn't come as easily on their old boats. I also didn't care for the grey/gunmetal main structure on the G3 tower. It was going to be very difficult to keep clean.

The boat seems noticeably larger on the outside, but I think the same basic feel is there on the interior. The update gel coat and fabric patterns definitely gave the boat a "fresh" look and ties it more into the larger models.

I am still curious about the wakes and hope to get out there with ahopkins one of these days. But as far as them being "better" than what I have on the '15, I'm skeptical. The VTX is a darned good crossover boat and since nobody has outdone it since it was introduced in '07, I'm not confident that it can get significantly better in both extremes of skiing and surfing. One of these days, somebody will tell us...

Is it one of these days yet?

Seriously, the thing has the freeboard of the Queen Mary 2. I can't see how Malibu made the slalom wakes better unless there's some flubber involved.

• 4 weeks later...

Wanted to restart this thread to see if anyone has had a chance to ski the 2016 vtx and let us know what the wash is like at say 15 and 22 off and at say 49k and 58km. Hopefully someone has been out behind one more recently. Thks