Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Truck overheats in reverse while backing boat

kayakwv

If the surge brakes locked up, it'd be obvious and since op didn't mention the trailer skidding up the driveway, I'd say this is an issue with the truck.

unless the trailer brakes are marginal and not locking up

Checked it again yesterday, and boat backs up fine, yet temperature rose to about 235. Next step is I will manually lock out the surge brakes to make sure they are not the issue; and listen carefully to check the fan clutch.

Edited by kayakwv
ahopkins22LSV

I'm going to ask a stupid question because this just happened to me on an 05 5.3l on short slow drives, my temp would rise to 230-235... Is your fluid at the correct level? Mine was low so it was losing prime (I think). It only happened twice to me on a short five ish mile drive so I immediately checked my fluid level. Filled it up to the correct level and then ran it for a while to cycle it all. After the engine cooled I needed to add a bit more and now it has sat at the correct level after a four hour trip home towing the boat.

Now I have to figure out how my fluid got low but it is well worth checking. Which will be fun because there has never been any puddling of fluid in my driveway or anywhere I park.

Sorry if you already answered this but I scanned the thread and didn't see anything.

• 8 years later...