Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What would you do?

tn_rider

What are these 'near death' experiences on the water that have been mentioned here?

A bass boat hit one of my good friends while surfing at 50mph. A clutch move by a buddy saved her from being killed. Had 12-15 staples on her head but survived. Then about two weeks later a woman drowned in our boat line. My cousin brought her up from the bottom in 15ft of water. She didn't make it.

My $.02 is buy used....something you can be ok with kids being on with crackers and juice boxes. I bought an '06 but still cringe everytime my wife and other mom's break out the chips, crackers and juice boxes.....that's part of the reason I bought a pontoon as well this summer. That way we can go ride around on the water all we want and I don't care if anything gets spilled on it. We still use the Malibu, but it's my workhorse. The only reason it comes down off the lift is if someone is getting behind it on a surfboard, ski, wakeboard or dare I say, tube.

Buy something used and with surfgate. Limited use this year and next, but you will have those handful of days that are absolutely fantastic.

If it were me, I'd just go out and do it. And then if she complained about not being able to go with you because she's at home with the baby I'd be like "Hey, look, YOU"RE the one that got pregnant".

Buy something used and with surfgate. Limited use this year and next, but you will have those handful of days that are absolutely fantastic.

If it were me, I'd just go out and do it. And then if she complained about not being able to go with you because she's at home with the baby I'd be like "Hey, look, YOU"RE the one that got pregnant".

"Look woman, I TRIED to tell you pulling out wasn't gonna work........"

See that's my problem lol. I work on the railroad so I'm gone for 8 days at a time already. At first she could have cared less about the boat. But she was more upset about it being gone than I was. Even said she'd love to try and surf. I was like WTF now that the boats gone you want to try? Ha

See that's my problem lol. I work on the railroad so I'm gone for 8 days at a time already. At first she could have cared less about the boat. But she was more upset about it being gone than I was. Even said she'd love to try and surf. I was like WTF now that the boats gone you want to try? Ha

Convenient timing? I would have to find another boat fast to see if my wife really meant it!

What are these 'near death' experiences on the water that have been mentioned here?

A guy pulling a girl on a wakeboard ran over us while we were floating. We dove off at the last possible second before he ran over my boat. I thought he was just going to buzz by us. Eight people on that boat and not one looking forward. Sank my boat.

All the TRU wakebros on here will pound their chest saying "it's all about the wake" in one thread, then in the next they sounds like women matching their purse to their heels saying the dash is ugly, ugly steering wheel and coat hanger looking tower.

If you are truly all about the wake, and not much else, it'd be a 2008-2010ish 247 with a custom plumbed ballast.

Or if you're about the bling the new 22 and 23 seem to be about the hottest boats in the lineup and they throw excellent waves. Surprisingly huge actually I've see recently.

At ~$600\month you are into any boat you want from any manufacturer up to approx 100k range assuming a 4-5% 20yr loan. 1-2 yr old G, X30, and Centurion etc etc.

Wait for all the ***spit*** I pay cash for my stuff cuz I'm a real man and change trannys in a weekend posts^^^

Ha! Well, it's a quality problem to have. You just got her extra-interested in your hobby, and are now poised for an upgrade! Dude….you're good.

Good comments from all, but I've got to add, just because someone has money for down payment on a new boat doesn't mean they can necessarily afford it. Are they contributing the maximum to their 401K, saving/investing at least 10% of their income, own their own home? Boating is an awesome priority but I've seen many get over their head. If I gave you $90,000 would you put all of it on a new boat? If the answer is no, then you've probably got your answer.

Circumstances are different for everybody as outlined above but when I was having this dilemma my then 6 year old son overheard the conversation and said "Any boat is better than no boat" and walked away.

I am in the view that I don't want a lot of money in my hobby so I will most likely never own a new boat and will always be using boats 7-20 years old. Hoping that other people wear the deprecation and I know I will have to put in for parts and repairs.

But my thought on 20 years loans is that the repayments will be coming for a long time after that new boat feeling has worn off (and it will) so having buyers remorse and ongoing payments may really bug you

Good comments from all, but I've got to add, just because someone has money for down payment on a new boat doesn't mean they can necessarily afford it. Are they contributing the maximum to their 401K, saving/investing at least 10% of their income, own their own home? Boating is an awesome priority but I've seen many get over their head. If I gave you $90,000 would you put all of it on a new boat? If the answer is no, then you've probably got your answer.

I'm pretty blessed. We don't pay rent/ house payment at all. Live on 400 acres and only have her car payment and regular bills, cell phone/cable ect. Granted we live in a modular home, but she is completely happy. She is the type that could live in a double/single wide and be fine. I may take the advice and wait 1-2 years. I love my job. It's cake work. But it's not worth being gone 8 days at a time. I'm looking for a job closer to home. I've learned real estate and hoping I can flip houses/properties for a living soon. Waiting is probably my best bet. I've always been taught "never have a boss" so my ultimate goal is to work for myself. So I think waiting is probably best for my family and I. I do want to hear more opinions!

Circumstances are different for everybody as outlined above but when I was having this dilemma my then 6 year old son overheard the conversation and said "Any boat is better than no boat" and walked away.

I am in the view that I don't want a lot of money in my hobby so I will most likely never own a new boat and will always be using boats 7-20 years old. Hoping that other people wear the deprecation and I know I will have to put in for parts and repairs.

But my thought on 20 years loans is that the repayments will be coming for a long time after that new boat feeling has worn off (and it will) so having buyers remorse and ongoing payments may really bug you

I go in and out of that stage constantly. One day, I'm ready to offload my rig, the next, I'm building VLXs on the website and watering the seed I planted a while ago in my wife's brain!

I'm about to pop out #1 this fall. The VTX will be with me next year, probably won't put 20 hours on it. But assuming he's a cool kid and seems to be able to handle a day on the water I'll upgrade it summer after next. I liked hearing small kid success stories on this thread... But when it comes down to it, I'll have the same dilemma in 2017; get a 2015, or go all in and get my colors and options.

My logic is this, if this is a centerpiece of your life and you plan on maintaining that till they get all zitty and bungholey (like 12-13 years) and you can knock out the loan in 5-7 years or less, then get what you want and enjoy it. If your wife plans on 4 sports a year and it's an odd weekend activity, just get something that meets your needs and put more money in your 401k.

Nothing is harder than being able to afford a new boat and not buying it though!

Good call on waiting imo. First couple years you wont be using the boat as much as you could anyways. Just went through this and I have extended family that helped us with the kids so we could get out more than we otherwise would. Now that the youngest is 3 its no problem to head out as a family. Couple years gated boats will be priced more reasonably too....including their aging touch screens :(

Lots of financial advise on here but a 15 year loan sounds a little risky for a toy. Not my cup of tea.

Good call on waiting imo. First couple years you wont be using the boat as much as you could anyways. Just went through this and I have extended family that helped us with the kids so we could get out more than we otherwise would. Now that the youngest is 3 its no problem to head out as a family. Couple years gated boats will be priced more reasonably too....including their aging touch screens :(

Lots of financial advise on here but a 15 year loan sounds a little risky for a toy. Not my cup of tea.

This is the first year in about 10 years that I haven't surfed or wakeboarded once. I'm wondering if in two years I won't even care about the water like I used to. I certainly hope not. its killed me not touching a board this year. I could have ridden a number of times but chose not to because my old crew was out. They are bums and use people to go on the water. Took me 7 years to realize but I see now they used me for the water.

Has to be personal decision. You and only you will know what you are comfortable with. I would never buy a new boat if I did not have every intention of using it A LOT! Flipping is not conducive where I am, state sales tax is a killer. In a no sales tax state I might really consider it. There are obviously advantages to both new and used. I would go new for this reason only. With little kids outings take planning, and you don't get as many opportunities. When that weekend does get there, I want the piece of mind that it will work. I don't want to worry about stuff breaking.

Although new boats can be riddled with problems as well....my $.02

This is the first year in about 10 years that I haven't surfed or wakeboarded once. I'm wondering if in two years I won't even care about the water like I used to. I certainly hope not. its killed me not touching a board this year. I could have ridden a number of times but chose not to because my old crew was out. They are bums and use people to go on the water. Took me 7 years to realize but I see now they used me for the water.

tn_rider, I boat on watauga lake in east TN. you can ride with me anytime.

For me it was easy. First boat prior to kids was a 10

Year old boat I paid 3k cash for. Used it for 16 years. Skied wakeboarded tubed kneeboarding.'had two kids. Started them out on that boat. Taught each to ski at 4 years old. Now they are 10 and 12 so enter in the 14 year old vlx. Between 1999 and 2015 there have been some really lean times but I always had my boat to enjoy since it was paid for and cheap. Be careful with long term loans since there could always be lean times ahead.

Ski