Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hydrolocking on 2007 247 When I turn the engine off and it is weighted down

Are there any products anyone is aware of that fits between the manifold and the exhaust to prevent water coming up to the engine? The way the silencer pipes are designed, I don't see a good way to convert them to flappers unless I totally replace them.... Which I would do to eliminate this from happening in the future. I will also call the factory and see if they can recommend a clever workaround and post the answer.

Thanks for the help!

Are there any products anyone is aware of that fits between the manifold and the exhaust to prevent water coming up to the engine? The way the silencer pipes are designed, I don't see a good way to convert them to flappers unless I totally replace them.... Which I would do to eliminate this from happening in the future. I will also call the factory and see if they can recommend a clever workaround and post the answer.

Thanks for the help!

The fact that those are factory exhaust tips and that this forum isn't overrun with people asking about hydrolocking suggests to me that the flapper / lack of flapper is not the issue. Especially because you are getting water in the same cylinders every time.

• Like 2

Out of curiosity, are they on both sides or only on the listed side towards back of engine?

As for why it doesn't happen, good question. On an i/o when you melt your internal flapper out, they tend to suck water into the motor.

Edited by oldjeep

Ok... Spoke to the guys at Malibu and they thought the curved non-flapped pipes could be the culprit and that I should replace them with the plastic options that have flaps ! I only seem to get water on the slammed (port) side, but that is really where most of the riders are to date. It truly blows my mind that this is only happening on my boat, but I am happy to switch the exhaust pipes if that will fix the problem as Malibu recommends...

So far, I have been surfing every morning and have not turned the engine off during the sessions and no problems! Good news for sure...

Really want to thank everyone for their input and advice. Come to Priest Lake and I will be happy to include you in our morning sessions.... Now I just have to figure out how to properly set the ballast up for the best wave I can produce.:)))!

Cheers

Ok... Spoke to the guys at Malibu and they thought the curved non-flapped pipes could be the culprit and that I should replace them with the plastic options that have flaps ! I only seem to get water on the slammed (port) side, but that is really where most of the riders are to date. It truly blows my mind that this is only happening on my boat, but I am happy to switch the exhaust pipes if that will fix the problem as Malibu recommends...

So far, I have been surfing every morning and have not turned the engine off during the sessions and no problems! Good news for sure...

Really want to thank everyone for their input and advice. Come to Priest Lake and I will be happy to include you in our morning sessions.... Now I just have to figure out how to properly set the ballast up for the best wave I can produce. :)))!

Cheers

just replace exhaust ports with the plastic flappers and call it a day. Ive seen this on a few MB, mainly on the good ole 8.1L, what motor do you have, I may of overlooked that... when you key off, the motor can actually rotate backwards just a little and the rotational energy of the motor settles, combine that with boat heavily weighted on one side and with a wave crashing into the boat on slow down, water gets sucked up the exhaust , you can get a perfect storm and hydrolock. well thats my theory. good luck.

also if you do have a 8.1L the riser gaskets are known for failing and leaking both external and internal. the internal leaks will go into your cylinders depending on what valves are open at that time.

^^ haha.

Ok since we are on the topic figure this one out.....

Boat hydro locks anytime the engine is off and shower is used. No other scenario causes the issue (weight, backing up, flappers are in place)I verified shower plumbing 5x and it was plumbed according to directions.

This is my old boat not my new one.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

^^ haha.

Ok since we are on the topic figure this one out.....

Boat hydro locks anytime the engine is off and shower is used. No other scenario causes the issue (weight, backing up, flappers are in place)I verified shower plumbing 5x and it was plumbed according to directions.

This is my old boat not my new one.

Was it a carb engine?

I say its a popped head gasket or a cracked manifold.

One of these days that engine is going to fire a cylinder off with water in the bad hole and bend a rod or a pushrod or something...

I say its a popped head gasket or a cracked manifold.

One of these days that engine is going to fire a cylinder off with water in the bad hole and bend a rod or a pushrod or something...

That thought crossed my mind as well of course. I don't think its a HG though. The engine ran like a top. Never overheated. Never gave any signs of a blown HG. Multiple cylinders filled with water.

I posted it a few years ago and if I recall no one believed me that it was the shower that caused it. It most certainly was as the boat would sit parked all night and before I started it my daughter would use the shower. This happened several mornings in a row then I figured it out and it never happened again.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson