Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone have cop trouble while surfing?

triscadek

By no means am I a Cop fanboy but you have to understand all the crap they are getting right now. Every day they goto work they could be the next officer Wilson. I just use the same mentality on the water as I do in the streets, show respect and submission. More so in a traffic stop the cop has no clue whats going to happen when he walks up to your window so, turn your car off, put the keys on the roof, roll down ALL your windows, turn on your interior lights if its a night and put your hands on the wheel. Ive got out of countless tickets by doing this, on the side of the road and by failer to appear by the officer, likely bc when the officer got the notice to appear he remembered a respectful citizen instead of a jerk.

So, on the water I ALWAYS wave to them first when I see the warden on the water, slow down if going fast and turn down my music if its loud. I figure if I respond first in a friendly and respectful manner, my chances of getting pulled over are lower. Its hard to kick a licking dog..

The way I see it, most of the issues I read about here aren't caused by cops, they are caused by state or local legislatures trying to save people from themselves. Most of this is needless law, and the cops hang it over peoples' heads. Vote the idiots out of office and go have fun. All this nanny business only raises your taxes anyway.

And when did we get to where we assume someone will save us if we get ourselves in trouble? Go ahead and sit on the sun pad or platform. Fall off and drown. You'll float up somewhere in a few days. Just no whining that someone has to save you!

I tried the "I didn't know" thing when I was about 16. I was told, Ignorance is no excuse. One of my favorites to this day.

If I were a water LEO, this answer would be grounds for an automatic ticket.....things happen toooo fast on the water. Ignorance is not valid.

I think I would let you off with a warning faster if you said, I'm sorry sir, I know what I was doing was wrong. Too many people are endangered by someone not knowing the laws/safety info. I have told countless jet skiers that the NC reg is 100' from the vessel when jumping it's wake. The #1 response is I DIDNT KNOW. Like you hear wakesonthesnake, Ignorance is no excuse.

If I were a water LEO, this answer would be grounds for an automatic ticket.....things happen toooo fast on the water. Ignorance is not valid.

I think I would let you off with a warning faster if you said, I'm sorry sir, I know what I was doing was wrong. Too many people are endangered by someone not knowing the laws/safety info. I have told countless jet skiers that the NC reg is 100' from the vessel when jumping it's wake. The #1 response is I DIDNT KNOW. Like you hear wakesonthesnake, Ignorance is no excuse.

In my experience, this is exactly what cops are looking for.

I had a good run-in with the lake fuzz this weekend. It's a long story, but the short version is my friend was flying a drone over a super rowdy, two day Beach Bash party on an island (those Lake Lanier boys are full blown retarded - it was a good time.) Anyway, it was about midnight or 1am, party was in full swing, we were parked in the cove watching the festivities - Sheriff boat rolls up. I'm fully prepared for showing registration, pfd's, fire extinguishers etc. (because we knew there would be lots of cops, we made sure we were prepped and ready - as well as made sure we were stone cold sober)

Turns out they were just curious about the drone. They asked a few questions, joked around for a minute, then told us to have a great time and cruised on. Didn't even break out the flashlights to "casually look around the boat," although my nav light is super bright, so I'm sure they could see in just fine anyway.

We saw them have contacts with a few other boats, the only time we saw them light anyone up was if they were on the outside of the cove with bright external lights on. Like docking LED docking spot lights, or hella crazy LED's. They would slide up. Have a conversation for a few minutes, we'd see all the extra lights turn off, then the boat would go and get parked.

Pretty much they were like "turn off the lights when you're outside of the cove, go park this thing, and don't let us see the boat move till morning." lol

Which was the perfect way to handle it, in my opinion.

I was 16, plowing snow on the side of the road with my 76' Ford LTD to see how high I could get it to fly. I "caught an edge", got turned into the bank, stalled the engine and my buddies and I were digging snow out from the engine compartment when she stopped to give me a ticket. What law was I breaking? A least that is what I wondered 25 years ago. She didn't help dig either.