Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone have cop trouble while surfing?

triscadek

we got pulled over 10 minutes after sunset last week, while surfing. We knew our bad, but as soon as the trooper saw we weren't drinking or d-bags, he just wanted to talk about surfgate and malibu vs master craft. I wouldn't say he let us off with a warning, more that he completely forgot why he stopped us.

That is the best time to ride! In MI we are allowed to ride 1 hour past sunset. Which, aside from 7am, is the best time to ride.

We break copious laws on our boat and we do it regularly. We ride with several guys from the Sheriff's Office and that helps but when we are in the wrong all my buddies do while we are getting chewed or ticketed is laugh. We had a guy take a prop to the head in the beginning of the season because he was riding on the bow and fell and since then the legal hammer has fallen. Leave it to some stupid ahole to ruin everyone else's semi-safe behavior.

I've been harassed worse than that by a sheriff at a boat launch before we even attempted to break any laws. Sounds like a pretty benign run-in with the authorities to me!

edit: you learn real fast around here to keep everyone inside the boat if you know cops are around - they will hunt you down like dogs. Learned that lesson at SeaFair years and years ago on a buddy's boat. Always think to yourself "will this give the cop an excuse to harass me" before doing something stupid. :)

I always think it's funny and just have to laugh when people think cops are "harassing them" when they are breaking the law(or not) and the police officer is just doing his job. Cops don't harass anyone....they usually stop people from doing something that will eventually hurt themselves.

To the OP, were you talked down too? Maybe, probably, but who really cares? You were breaking the law and the cop DIDN'T write you a ticket...multiple tickets from the sound of it...instead he chose to attempt to educate you. Only time will tell if his attempt worked(ie: will you still allow ppl to sit on the sunpad while underway).

I have been stopped only once on my local lake. I was polite, respectful and answered every question as best I could and showed the officer where the safety equipment was. We weren't underway or doing any watersports. We were simply drifting in a cove. No one was even swimming at the time. Did I feel the cop was "harassing" me? Nope! Not at all. He was doing his job which is making sure that we as boat owners have the proper amount of safety equipment!

Without cops, there would be total anarchy in the world.

Edited by Sunscape fan

The OP could have been the nicest guy on the lake....sounds like this cop had an attitude anyway you look at it. Sorry OP, next time stay within the laws and kill the officer with kindness!!! At least he didn't cite you.

I respect most of the water LEO's, and try to act that way when dealing with them. Everytime I have been stopped it's a general safety check. I have my safety gear and registration out before they even HIT(see below) the side of the boat. I want them to see me on the water and say, "Hey, that guy was really cordial and had all his gear when we stopped him last time, lets leave him alone." I even go as far as to offer them a water/soda while going through the paces. Some say I am sucking up, but so what???? Next time you will get stopped and I won't because they remember I am a nice guy. Most of our guys work their territories so it's the same LEO's every year for a few years.

I've even had them sit 20 feet from my dock watching for idiots. I've politely asked them to watch for the morons coming to close to the dock. When they do this, the first thing I do is grab a cold drink and throw it to them and tell them to save the ones in their cooler for later.

I have never had a "run in" with one except for occasionally having to ask one to take his shoes off of my gelcoat during a stop. That's my gripe with these guys. I immediately start throwing fenders over the side when I see them coming to me. They don't seem to care to much for my gel-coat. I mean I won't let people inside the boat with shoes, what makes them think putting their BOOTS on my boat is ok?????? They make me laugh when they say we've got it.....that's what worries me. I usually send people to the bow and swim deck to help catch them.

Edited by NCVride

I always think it's funny and just have to laugh when people think cops are "harassing them" when they are breaking the law(or not) and the police officer is just doing his job. Cops don't harass anyone....they usually stop people from doing something that will eventually hurt themselves.

To the OP, were you talked down too? Maybe, probably, but who really cares? You were breaking the law and the cop DIDN'T write you a ticket...multiple tickets from the sound of it...instead he chose to attempt to educate you. Only time will tell if his attempt worked(ie: will you still allow ppl to sit on the sunpad while underway).

I have been stopped only once on my local lake. I was polite, respectful and answered every question as best I could and showed the officer where the safety equipment was. We weren't underway or doing any watersports. We were simply drifting in a cove. No one was even swimming at the time. Did I feel the cop was "harassing" me? Nope! Not at all. He was doing his job which is making sure that we as boat owners have the proper amount of safety equipment!

Without cops, there would be total anarchy in the world.

I don't see where OP was advocating that cops are not vital. But treating someone with a little more maturity than making them read rules out loud isn't that much to ask. That said, my dealings with my local authorities have all been very cordial.

We have had safety checks and were even towed by one through a storm when our motor died. They have always been nice to us, and we to them.

I have seen the same crew be not so nice to others, I presumed they were not well received.

In general they are out doing their job, keeping the water safer for all to enjoy. We give them the benefit of the doubt.

I have never had a "run in" with one except for occasionally having to ask one to take his shoes off of my gelcoat during a stop. That's my gripe with these guys. I immediately start throwing fenders over the side when I see them coming to me. They don't seem to care to much for my gel-coat. I mean I won't let people inside the boat with shoes, what makes them think putting their BOOTS on my boat is ok?????? They make me laugh when they say we've got it.....that's what worries me. I usually send people to the bow and swim deck to help catch them.

my biggest gripe with them as well. The King County Sheriffs wear non-marking soled boots but they aren't about to take them off if they board the boat or step on the gunnel. And true-that on the fenders.

Worst incident I had with one was up in Lake Whatcom. He tied up to us did the normal inspection/Boater's ID thing and all that. Meanwhile we started drifting pretty close to the shoreline and he ran our boat right into a visible piling. I was talking to them and not paying attention and no one in my boat was watching out for me. That scuff is still in my gelcoat to this day. :angry:

I have several friends who are officers, and I have done ride along a with them several times, and not in the best of areas southern CA has to offer. I have a whole different respect for those guys.

You said you admit you were breaking to law. If you were as conscious about your crew and their safety as you claim , you would have had your buddy fully in the boat to begin with. Let's not forget this was started by your YOUR lack of respect for the law. You saw the officer the first time, and still didn't have your buddy get in the boat, basically saying you will do what you want.

To your main question, I have had a buddy get stopped on a local lake while surfing, with the boat listed pretty hard. They gave them the choice of a ticket or drain some ballast. They said it fell under "unsafe operation" of a vessel. That rule is basically at the discretion of the officer, but if your exceeding ballast restrictions that the manufacturer suggests, they have a case. Same with the life jackets being readily accessible, at the officers discretion.

They hear more crap and excuses from entitled you know what's all day long who try to justify why they are allowed to break whatever law it is they were stopped for. If you had to tell your kid not to climb on the table 100 times a day, your demeanor toward you kid would not be pleasant for the same thing after awhile.

I wasn't conscious to him sitting up there that he was against the law, BUT if I broke it, I'll take it. You act like I looked at the cop and chunked a beer bottle at him.

I too had a chat with one of Arizona's finest on Saturday. Mine was on the way home from the lake. I was stopped for not having the paper temporary plate registration attached to the boat trailer.

When the officer pulled me over, i politely provided registration for truck, and temp registrations for boat and trailer. I apologized for the paper copy not being affixed, and explained that as it would be completely submerged repeatedly, keeping it legible and dry was my intention.

I had 100% of my documentation. Yet she still cited me for no registration, because it was not attached. In AZ that is a $650 fine!

I will be going to court to protest, but really? A warning wouldn't have sufficed?

• Like 3

I get where triscadek is coming from. If you are missing the demeaning part it is probably because it was the tone the guy was using. Also making someone read every section of a rule book depending on how he did it could be rude. It all depends on if he was trying to be helpful or just a jerk. it's funny how this guy posts about a bad experience he has with an officer and we immediately assume we know more about his interaction that he does and try to disqualify his statements. I used to frequent Lake Lewisville "very dangerous lake in Texas" and all the cops there were total jerks.

The problem is that there are boaters that are irresponsible. The officers have to deal with them and their attitudes everyday. They get jaded and start treating every boater as if they have done something wrong from the jump. Some not all can seem demanding, rude, and get on a power trip. I don't go to that lake much anymore and instead opt for a smaller lake. The patrol there have a totally different outlook and they are really just checking to see if anyone is in danger and then they leave you be. Similarly if you are driving through a small town the police there may be a little more talkative and friendly vs. a big city where the cop is worried about you shooting and killing him. Just my $.02.

THANK YOU!

I actually agree with wakebrdr94... if the OP was really driving at speed with a passenger on the sun pad then he's no very smart or safety conscious. It's like driving around with a passenger in the bed of your pickup. Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY knows it's wrong. Tell your buddy to sit his butt down like most of us do every time a newby thinks it's okay to sit up there. If that was my boat I'd absolutely expect to be pulled over with a guaranteed ticket.

The other part of the story that's missing is the OP's attitude toward the cop. I can tell from the tone of his post this is still a person who thinks he's right. He thinks his flavor of disobedience is ok. My guess is he did not take the proper, humble tone with the officer. "Yes sir, no sir, it won't happen again sir, etc." If he even once tried to justify himself of "make his case" to the officer (like he's doing here) then I can see why the officer went on and on.

As to the unwritten rule of being pulled over... the officer followed it. You got chewed out, but no ticket.

Quit your crying and be grateful he didn't write you up. The initial infraction alone is $300 in my state.

Like 5in said, everyone jumping to conclusions... Every word by both of us WAS yes sir and no sir. Never once did I try to justify. I took the beating and said ok it won't happen again. The attitude just kept coming.

Everyone is missing the point of the OP... My point was to state how petty and crappy attituded the cop is and I KNOW he will have something to say if he sees us out surfing. My question is what has everyone's experience been if you've had a run-in. I didn't ask for people to automatically tell Me and everyone else on the forum what I said before it was even said and be belittling. You weren't there. This is what gives some people bad names.

I see the is post has gone nowhere and way off topic. Mod, if you want to delete, be my guest.

EDIT: NCV, I love it! Hahaha

Edited by triscadek

I was stopped for the first time last Monday on a friends boat. We were doing something we shouldn't have and should have gotten a pretty big ticket.

We were very fortunate that the sheriff was very down to earth, and very polite to us. We were also very polite from the get go. He explained himself as more as a "Lifeguard" than a cop as he let us off with a warning.

I'm not sure if we were extremely lucky or maybe it was the fact that we were in a DD water skiing ;-).

I know I put this in another thread earlier this year, but I'll repeat it here too... BTW: If anyone on here is an LEO, please let us know your perspective! I think we're all trying to be decent citizens and other than (possibly) overloading our boats with ballast we all try to stay within the laws & rules.

I was once told that there isn't a citation/ticket quota given to LEOs, but there are guidelines for "civilian contacts" for a shift, and there is a metric for the proper ratio of contacts to citations. The idea being that a quota on citations would be very poorly received by the public it was ever revealed that it existed. The guideline for a number of contacts per shift is to make sure that the LEOs are doing their job and not just sitting on the boat in a cove doing nothing or cruising around burning fuel.

Depending on the situation at your local lake/river, it might be in your best interest to proactively talk to a LEO when you see them and have the time. It helps then know who you are and that you're keeping everything legal on your boat. For those of you who aren't sure how to start a conversation with a LEO, try this: Are there any new or unmarked hazards on the water that you know of? Anything I should watch out for today? (poker run, tournament, Wake the World event, etc.) Also, as was suggested earlier, it doesn't hurt to offer them a beverage from your cooler too.

If you can help them get a "contact" checked off you're helping them out and they aren't going to "blue light" you on the water since they've already talked to you. When you do need help, they know who you are and are more likely to be friendly.

Call me a suck up if you want, but I've even asked the local coast guard reserve to do one of their safety inspections on my boat while I was in the marina and had time. It meant that I got to check out their boat too, and those guys liked showing off their RIB with the .50 cal mounted on the bow!

Edited by mikeo

Typically we are on a different lake with their own actual lake police. Still state employees but they're just not troopers. The lake we were on sat is a trooper lake. The other lake I have had run ins before and always treated with respect. ALWAYS. I never give attitude so therefore I shouldn't receive it.

In years past i have seen the lake patrol officers and actually asked them to come aboard and do a safety check so I can have a sticker for the current year. We see them eating in the marinas and do strike up a convo provided they're close. All within the dept are nice. And most of the troopers on other area lakes are nice from what I've heard. But this particular guy, I knew his name before he even turned around on us if that says something.

Edited by triscadek

I've been harassed worse than that by a sheriff at a boat launch before we even attempted to break any laws.

That's me in a car. lol

Anyway, thankfully I haven't been pulled over. Our lake has two water gestapo, and they stay on the other side of the water generally. However, I wouldn't have a problem if they pulled me over. My registration and insurance and documentation are all in a plastic bag in the glove box, I have three fire extinguishers, all easy to access. I either sit on the throwable (yeah, I know - technically not supposed to) or keep it next to the sub box under the helm, hell... I even make sure my safety flares aren't expired. How many of you guys ever check THOSE things?

I will only have a drink if we're sitting in a cove somewhere soaking, and I have a personal "two adult beverage limit" if I'm on the water in my own boat - so even if something were to come up and I do have to drive somewhere, I'm still inside the legal limit for operating a vessel.

I have all of these things prepared and in order not because I think I'll ever be pulled over, but because it's a good idea to make sure your extinguishers are good, your flares are good, everyone can get to a pfd in a hurry etc. I'm not Captain Safety, but I do believe in being prepared in the fraction of a percent chance something goes wrong. I know it sounds trite, but seconds matter.

• Like 2

I always like to see Sheriff's on the water, it keeps everyone a little more accountable and hopefully safer. I also have worked in public safety for the past 20 years, I have seen just about everything... the bottom line is it takes a few bad apples to ruin it for everyone. Law enforcement deals with idiots on a day to day basis, we run calls with them quite often, and I always say how can someone want to do that job. I am thankful there are people willing to step up and do it. But not all officers are good with people or are just burned out and have zero tolerance for any mistakes.

That being said, I also got pulled over on Lake Shasta two years ago for a similar thing, my wife was laying out on the swim pad and we were going 5 mph. No danger to anyone but I was breaking the law, this officer was cool and just gave us a warning and went on his way. Took him all of 30 seconds and that was it.

This year I got pulled over again for my son surfing with a comp life vest on, it is not USCG approved. It floats him in the water, just not ocean worthy, fine for surfing. This guy searched my entire boat, and was going to write me a ticket for not having a throw cushion. First time I ever pulled out my dept. ID and asked for a break, no doubt a ticket was coming when he asked for my drivers license and registration. After I showed him my ID his tone and attitude changed and got a little better, I was polite and calm and answered all his questions and even took the boating safety book he gave me... he wanted to let us know he had control and I was fine with it. He ended up letting me off but not without heckling us for about 10 more minutes and telling me how unimpressed he was with me. Was I breaking the law? Yes, but I do think he could have handled it better, we are a family on a wake boat, non drinkers, no loud music playing, just enjoying the water, keeping to ourselves....in my experience it just depends on who you get that day, each officer is different.

• Like 2

Wow very interesting feed backs. What I see here is case of perception is reality case. All we see is OP discription of officers behavior based on OP perception of how the officer should have treated him. From his post he sounds like an angel, their is absolutely no discription of his tone of response or actions from his buddies around the boat. We do not have officers point of view of their tone and behavior.maybe this was the officers method of not giving out tickets but to make sure the rules will stick in drivers mind for safety then just $$$ to a person riding around in a $ 60,000.00+ boat. I have been ticketed and stopped several times during my 27 years boating. All due to my lack of law. Believe me. I know those by heart now. So chalk it up as good lesson and let the man doing a hard job alone. I am sure your attitude is not sugar n spice everyday either

Sounds like me and RZRCO23 had a similar experience.

I definitely fall into the category that loves LEOs.

NUTOZ, I never claimed to be an angel. I stated that I was in the wrong for letting him ride there and I'd take the ticket. As soon as he asked for the registration, I automatically knew it was in the safe. Brain fart. I'll take that ticket too. Guranteed the registration was made a copy of and placed in the boat as soon as we got home. Jackets for each soul stayed out on Sunday even though I like to keep a tidy, non cluttered boat and the stickers are being made as we speak to move the numbers forward from the previous owner.

I was just I honestly oblivious to the riding on he seat rule. I saw the trooper boat coming, had I thought it would get is stopped I was have sad to get down real quick. I didn't really figure where he was, was a big deal. And it was just me and ONE buddy. Nobody else, so no "buddies" we're talking back to him. As stated before, I have great respect for them, I won't tolerate anyone to talk back to them on my boat.... And we didn't. My tone WAS stated in a reply. Very respectful from both, yes sir, no sir, it won't happen again. It'll only make things worse otherwise.

I've been approached exactly three times.

Once at Bullards Bar when we'd left our skier down flag up in the tower. LEO just pulled up to let us know not to fly it all the time.

Once at Lahontan on the first day we got our MB in 2011. We had no reg numbers and that was probably one of two days out of 30 or so I've been on that lake and seen LEOs. Of course they pulled us over. We explained boat was brand new, received a warning to get it registered on Monday, and were told to have a nice day.

Once at Lake Almanor. The cops here have a TERRIBLE reputation for shaking people down for no reason. This guy saw us leave the marina and literally followed us for half an hour (around the peninsula for those who know the lake). One of my newb friends then jumped in to wakeboard, with his wetsuit on because he's a puss. Because the cop was sitting 200 yards off staring at us with his giant binoculars, none of us realized that my friend (again a newb) forgot to put a vest on. As soon as we got him up and out of the water we all realized the issue, along with officer law who was making a beeline at us at 50 mph. Dropped my rider, circled back before he got run over. Cop was a major jerk (living up to his reputation), but he let us off with a warning.

We do most of our boating at Pyramid Lake (NV) and seriously, I'd love to see the LEOs on the water sometimes. They do bring the boat out on big holiday weekends, but invariably it's tied up near the boat ramp. Have never ever seen it out on the (very large, desolate) lake.

I have nothing against the good folks that enforce the law. I have a good friend that is a police officer as a matter of fact. But I can tell you if the officer in question had asked me to repeatedly read a rule or law out loud to him like I was a 2nd grader I would have told him to pound sand and write the ticket. There is no reason to treat someone like that. I would rather pay the fine then listen to that garbage.

It's just like any profession...you got some good ones and you have some bad ones.

My Dad told me a story once about he and my uncle fishing many years ago. They were at a lake that apparently had a limit on how many rods each fisherman could have. I guess he and my umcle each had about

four lines in but were ignorant of the law (not an excuse just a fact). Game warden comes up and has a real bad attitude from the get go. Tells them they are in violation and when my Dad said "sorry we did not know" he goes "I know you didn't but I don't care" and starts writing my Dad a ticket. When he finishes he starts to try to write up my uncle. My Dad is like "wait a minute, what are you doing?" Warden says writing him a ticket just like you" My Dad says "Oh no....all of these rods are mine...he only has the one"

Warden was super pissed but couldn't prove him wrong so they got away with just the one ticket. lol

It's funny but I have owned my boat for 9 years and have never once been pulled over or inspected. I did see an officer in the prep lane one day and asked him to check me out if he didn't mind. That was early on and just wanted to make sure I had my ducks in a row. I actually wish they were around a little more because I see something dangerous or stupid pretty much every trip out. Yesterday there was a guy giving

multiple friends /relatives jetski rides...they were taking off from the ramp and blasting trough the no wake zone repeatedly. Boat ramp looked like a bath tub. Crazy...

On my lake, we can't stand the wardens. It is a quiet lake. They usually get there Saturday afternoon, and make a b line from boat to boat stopping and checking throw cushions, fire extinguisher, life jackets, and registration card. They won't mess with you the rest of the day, but Sunday comes around and they do it again, checking EVERYTHING again. The last time out on the water, Sunday morning they asked what time we would be taking off that day. I said around 2 since I like 2.5hrs away. People wanted to board more so about 3:30 I am heading toward the dock and about 400 yards away here theycame and stopped us. First words were " I thought yall were leaving at 2." Last I checked there weren't time Limits on how long I can be out there. Checked it all again, and proceeded to ask how much I had to drink. I replied with the truth I had 3 beers through your the day. We held up the empty ice bag storing the empty beer cans for all boaters and there was maybe 10 in it. We had 7 people in the boat. They performed 4 different sobriety tests. All of which I passed fine, and sent us on our way. I understand why they are in place; and respect what they do, but when I see them I now just stop the boat, as I know we will be getting pulled over within 10 min, and being checked every single day I feel is harassment.