Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Never Been On My Boat By Myself...Never Launched at Night

Afun

You would only be required to have your nav lights on while underway, correct?

Nav and anchor when underway in TN:

http://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/twra/attachments/tn_handbook_entire.pdf

Navigation Lights

The required navigation lights must be displayed between sunset and sunrise and during periods of restricted visibility.

Power-Driven Vessels When Underway

If less than 65.6 feet long, these vessels must exhibit the lights as shown in illustration 1. Remember, power-driven vessels include sailboats operating under engine power. The required lights are:

Red and green side lights visible from a distance of at least two miles away—or if less than 39.4 feet long, at least one mile away—on a dark, clear night.

An all-round white light or both a masthead light and a sternlight. These lights must be visible from a distance of at least two miles away on a dark, clear night. The all-round white light (or the masthead light) must be at least 3.3 feet higher than the sidelights.

You would only be required to have your nav lights on while underway, correct?

You are required to have the full nav lights (red/green/white) on while under power and required to have the white light that projects 360 degrees when at anchor outside a designated anchorage (so you don't get yourself run over) for most folks they just leave them all on.

You have to go out at night! I've launch my current boat once at night and my last boat a few times I took it out in the pitch black by myself. There's nothing like being out on the lake at night hearing the water and no one else is out. We live on a lake now and we go out for sunset cruises that usually last until about 11pm 4-5 times a week. It's one of gf's favorite things to do on the boat especially on full moons or no moon nights looking at all the stars. Like others have said, I'd recommend a good spot light just in case especially for those WTF is that in the water moments.

• Like 2

I've done night runs a lot, good time. Well, except for the time we saw, or didn't see, the guy in the kayak that decided he wanted to do a night run as well. Didn't hit'em, but we were close. Fastest we go at night is 1000 rpms.

Just do it. When we used to boat everything was nice and safe and all planned out. Night boating never happened. It used to irritate me on 4th of July to get back before dark. When my husband died I said WTF have I got to loose so 1st time out without him I went on a screamin' night ride. Now I do it all the time. Went out this past weekend for the best view of the blue moon from the Bu.

• Like 2

I launched my sportster many times by myself. Haven't attempted that with the T22 yet. The need hasn't come up. Its a little stressful, but it always went fine for me.

I love going out at night, I usually do it alone as my daughter is asleep before dark these days. I just push the button on my key fob and the boat lowers into the water. :lol::Tease3:

• Like 2

I love going out at night, I usually do it alone as my daughter is asleep before dark these days. I just push the button on my key fob and the boat lowers into the water. :lol::Tease3:

Haha me too!

Launch everytime by my self, wife waits at home then comes up with the kids once I am in. Never taken the Bu out at night but use tonight fish all the time on my bass boat, Lots of fun.

When I launch/retrieve solo, I do it with dock lines. Just don't be the dude floating in the middle of the launch tying on all his bumpers and dock lines while your rig sits bumper deep in the launch...

Launch everytime by my self, wife waits at home then comes up with the kids once I am in. Never taken the Bu out at night but use tonight fish all the time on my bass boat, Lots of fun.

Hey Big Time.....she doesn't even drive the truck....this is going to take us to Competent First Mate discussion

Hey Big Time.....she doesn't even drive the truck....this is going to take us to Competent First Mate discussion

I'm no ninja so not big time for sure.

Yes she is Biggest free loader of them all. She can drive the truck.

You win some you lose some. If I made her help it would probally take twice as long and we would go out less.

At least she knows how to drive the boat

Did u get out on the lake at night?

I'm no ninja so not big time for sure.

Yes she is Biggest free loader of them all. She can drive the truck.

You win some you lose some. If I made her help it would probally take twice as long and we would go out less.

At least she knows how to drive the boat

Did u get out on the lake at night?[/quote

Got off the lake about 30 minutes ago...cool

Afun, i feel your pain, Mrs Darkside, does not back the trailer, she does not park the empty trailer, she does not drive the boat. She does hold the flag, she does let me go to the lake whenever i want, she goes with as often as she can. As long as it doesn't involve sunrise....LOL.

So I am calling it a win! Its ask perspective. I hope to get her on a surf board this year...

She is also going out with me tomorrow night your watch the meteor showers from the back of the lake.

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 2

Launching alone is easy. I push the button on the pedestal, boat is in. Push it again, boat is out. I don't understand what all of the concern is.

Our first (and last) night ride - we went about 50 feet and it was so dark even the 2 million candlepower light didn't help - it just reflected off the water surface! the whole family freaked out, so we went back to the dock.

That was 14 years ago.

Maybe i need to move on.

Launching alone is easy. I push the button on the pedestal, boat is in. Push it again, boat is out. I don't understand what all of the concern is.

Our first (and last) night ride - we went about 50 feet and it was so dark even the 2 million candlepower light didn't help - it just reflected off the water surface! the whole family freaked out, so we went back to the dock.

That was 14 years ago.

Maybe i need to move on.

I agree. You definitely need to move on to a new family. :) Edited by ID AX