Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My Rescued Malibu 21 XLV Project

Well allright!!

Did you grease the rudder? Should take no more than 1 or 2 pumps, if you do more than that you could blow out the O-rings.

Man, I think you got everything else covered.

Hmmm.... Not sure why the link didn't work. I will repost it when I get home. I tried it from my phone earlier.

Actually I haven't greased the rudder, but I will take a look and find the fittings and grease them.

Is there any grease fittings on the propeller shaft? When slowly put it in gear last night to make sure the tranny was good I got some bad squeaking from it turning. Ran out of time before I could chase the noise down

Hmmm.... Not sure why the link didn't work. I will repost it when I get home. I tried it from my phone earlier.

Actually I haven't greased the rudder, but I will take a look and find the fittings and grease them.

Is there any grease fittings on the propeller shaft? When slowly put it in gear last night to make sure the tranny was good I got some bad squeaking from it turning. Ran out of time before I could chase the noise down

don't run it in gear when the cutlass bearings are dry: horrible sound & will trash the bearings

bearings are lubed by water

The prop shaft has a packing around it that is designed to be lubricated by the water.... And leak a tiny bit as a result. Chances are it'll be dried out & leak like crazy in your case. You should be able to see it from the rear middle seat.

Is there any grease fittings on the propeller shaft? When slowly put it in gear last night to make sure the tranny was good I got some bad squeaking from it turning.

Normal. The shaft is water lubricated.

post-8942-0-27336100-1431959200_thumb.jp

There's just 1 grease fitting at the top of the rudder. I think it can be seen in this pic.

Your prop shaft goes thru a brass strut that is connected to the underside of the boat. Inside that strut are bushings that are lubricated by water. All of these boats will make a nasty squeal if you put it in gear when it is not in the water. So it's probably fine.

i know you are in a hurry, but i would hold on a water test until you have a new impeller. if it comes apart - it is a mess. Is there no place local to get one?

And a spare fuel filter. That fuel system is likely to have a lot of garbage in it that will likely clog it up quickly. Idling it in the driveway is not the same as putting a load on it.

You aren't running it on the gas that's been in the tank are you?

I don't imagine it's going to matter much. Problems are gonna pop up.

But I'd definitely pump that old fuel out and be prepared for the impeller to shred. I give it a 50/50 chance of surviving the weekend. Lol

I appreciate all of the helpful tips. Last night I decided to pull the impeller out and check to see what it looked like. If it weren't for this forum, I wouldn't have known to check it and would have had a bad day on the lake. You guys are awesome!

59FA5CD2-C620-442A-9CA7-A12959151436_zps

Here are some interior pics with the seats removed as requested. This was after a good pressure washing. It's almost completely clean now. Just gotta get the Shop Vac to it.

3BC363A8-1E84-4D4A-87EE-2E42F91AC551_zps

525CD46D-0EDA-46E6-81BC-82649D5DBA87_zps

E0133977-9105-4B1A-9E62-B9154BEF128F_zps

Glad to see you got it runnin good and getting her back together. Your gonna love it when it gets finished specially since you have put in the time and effort to bring it back to life yourself. Big feeling of accomplishment when you get her all done you can take a step back and think wow look what I've done!!

Blows my mind that there are people who would allow their boat to deteriorate that Bad!!! Cool project & before / after scrapbook. Hope the motor is good.....look forward to following this thread.