Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Got the worst news today

barefootboy

The first one is with my engine guy's puller (installing it) and the second one was with my puller (removing it). Totally doable.

Doable maybe but scary with the booms out that far and swinging that thing around near your gelcoat. Be honest, how much was that picker rocking ;)

Piston came lose????? Piston pin ? broken piston, rod and piston? Could make a big difference in the cost of a rebuild. I would guess you have head and valve damage. For a good engine guy a rebuild can be so simple but only because they know how to go about doing it. It amazing what can be done and have a quality piece in the end. But Chevy parts are so available it can make a big difference in rebuild or replace.

• Like 1

Crazy how you got it out with that thing. Might be harder/impossible with a tandem trailer, taller hull or a v-drive.

The first one is with my engine guy's puller (installing it) and the second one was with my puller (removing it). Totally doable.
  • Like 1

The biggest issue with doing it yourself is lifting the old one out. You can't get it out with a standard cherry picker style engine lift.

Was able to swap mine out with a standard cherry picker (bought at Sam's club 25 years ago). Mine's a v-drive though, I would think it would work with a DD also.

• Like 1

Fork lift would do it too. Get it prepped to pull out and run it over to a place that will pull it out. If someone pulled up to my place and needed it done, I'd do it for someone. The act of Lifting the motor up and replacing the motor isn't the hard part is it?

• Like 1

Piston cam loose. No movement in cylinder. Can u buy directly from Indmar? Another question should try to get exact motor that came out or try to upgrade in some way. Not looking for anymore trouble down the road

I would not bother considering a re-build for a $1K difference. There's gonna be a lot of damage inside that motor.

I'm sure the warranty on a new motor is better than 6 months.

• Like 1

I've done a engine swap on a direct drive on single axle trailer with a cherry picker before. Doable. Yes, I was standing on the swivel end of it. Didn't look very safe and I had never used a cherry picker before.

Need to find some online engine options

I'd be pretty tempted to just go ahead with what your guy is already quoting you. He might be hesitant to install "your" motor. We all pretty much agree it's a fair price installed. And, you're back on the water by next weekend.

Just remember what B.O.A.T. stands for. Bust Out Another Thousand.

• Like 1

I'm sure he is buying the new motor from somewhere like Michigan motorz anyway. I'd ask him where it comes from and talk over your options. He may be getting the same motor but cutting out Michigan as a middleman.

• Like 1

I agree with Pete, work closely with your engine guy. He has to be on board with whatever route you choose. If you start getting too complicated with asking for upgrades he might be like "Woah, woah, look I have time to just drop in a crate engine and that's about it". Or he might be like "I can put a cam in it, some roller rockers, we can bore it out, I have a perfect recipe for you". Check with him first. We got fancy with mine but it took some time and my engine guy was a part-time engine guy, full time concrete guy.

• Like 1

I am queries can you define piston came lose? Any photos? Or has it been taken apart yet. Just an old engine guy that likes to see failures to define why.

Not that I like to see blown engines just like going after cause. Is the top of the piston pitted?

• Like 1

Engine. A motor uses an electric field. Just sayin'.

Full Definition of MOTOR

1: one that imparts motion; specifically : prime mover

2: any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as

a : a small compact engine

b : internal combustion engine; especially : a gasoline engine

c : a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy

• Like 1