Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cipa 180 Mirror Pics

ahopkins22LSV

would anyone be so kind as to show pictures of the BACK of the Cipa 180

want to see how it mounts and how I might be able to adapt it to my tower mounted brackets

I have mine mounted to the tower arm with some messing around with the stock mount, It still isnt ideal but does work!! My biggest issue is its longer then the stock mirror and I have to tilt it sideways everytime I open the window!

Both PTM & Monster makes the adapters.

rts-100.png

I am going to look into this, thanks.

The PTM is wider, and does get into the walk thru a bit, but is well worth it in my book.

Plus, keep in mind that the Vride is a pretty narrow boat compared to some of yours.

20130505_144734_zpschs13qra.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

Mounted the mirror yesterday evening. I can already tell I'm going to like it. Mounted just fine on the TXi windshield with the standard rubber. But the TXi has a different frame than the wakesetters. Couldn't really get a pic of the old mirror but here is a comparison in the driveway. Oh, my wife thinks it's ugly and very erect... What else is new..

Old:

image_35.jpg

New:

image_36.jpg

Heading out soon for some skiing so will get more pics.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

Big difference, you'll enjoy the view!

I left my old mirror bracket on the windshield frame, works great as a handle to flip open.

Edited by Dare2goBare

Here's mine. It doesn't hit on the window when you leave the center open either. Love the view compared to the stock mirror.

19971380956_f42a388500_c.jpg

19374993344_be98a1f8d2_c.jpg

19989924032_4fff2eaf2f_c.jpg

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

A few from this morning. I like it so far. Ned to play with the angle of the mount because it is so tall and might like into making something custom to not have it be so tall.

image_38.jpg

image_39.jpg

• Like 2

So, I have the mirror and I'm about to buy that mount. I thought that the extra height would be good so I can look between the mirror and the glass to get a better forward view. It looks like a gap of maybe six inches. Does it help to pull the mirror toward you, or is it then too close to your face?

ahopkins22LSV

So, I have the mirror and I'm about to buy that mount. I thought that the extra height would be good so I can look between the mirror and the glass to get a better forward view. It looks like a gap of maybe six inches. Does it help to pull the mirror toward you, or is it then too close to your face?

I can for sure see between the mirror and the frame. But most of the time I drive the course I'm sitting all the way down looking through the windshield. Angling it toward me more will be the next test. Might be annoying. To have it closer to me for the remainder of the day but might be worth it for skiing. Just need some tweaks.

By the way, I would not give a good pull through a course if I were also taking pictures of my mirror. I'm not sure I can do it when I'm not taking pictures, either. I think you get a lot more practice at it than I do.

I can for sure see between the mirror and the frame. But most of the time I drive the course I'm sitting all the way down looking through the windshield. Angling it toward me more will be the next test. Might be annoying. To have it closer to me for the remainder of the day but might be worth it for skiing. Just need some tweaks.

On thinking about it more, the factory mirror is several inches closer also. I'm still leaning toward that mount.

ahopkins22LSV

By the way, I would not give a good pull through a course if I were also taking pictures of my mirror. I'm not sure I can do it when I'm not taking pictures, either. I think you get a lot more practice at it than I do.

Haha I got my camera in position before I got in the course then just took a ton of pictures as I was driving. Didn't even look at my phone. My friend ran the pass so it must not have been that bad of driving :crazy:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
ahopkins22LSV

So I am bringing this thread back up for one complaint about this mirror. I love the field of view and the clarity. The height is more than needed but whatever. The only thing I can't stand is the mount is weak! If I am driving into any kind of head wind at ski speeds the mirror folds down. Anyone else who mounted this to their windshield have this problem and do you have a solution?

ahopkins22LSV

Not looking at mine but I believe there is an adjustment for that inside the clamp. Icbw.

Hmm that would be great. All I remember in there is the Allen head screw to clamp it down to the windshield frame. I will look when I get home.

• 1 month later...
ahopkins22LSV
On 2/4/2016 at 9:30 AM, ahopkinsTXi said:

So I am bringing this thread back up for one complaint about this mirror. I love the field of view and the clarity. The height is more than needed but whatever. The only thing I can't stand is the mount is weak! If I am driving into any kind of head wind at ski speeds the mirror folds down. Anyone else who mounted this to their windshield have this problem and do you have a solution?

On 2/4/2016 at 9:59 AM, isellacuras said:

Not looking at mine but I believe there is an adjustment for that inside the clamp. Icbw.

So, I forgot to follow up on this but, I don't see any form of adjustment. Just the main allen head bolt to secure the mount to the windshield frame. Am I missing something? @justgary do you have any input? Am I just blind? :lol:

shoot I don't have it in front of me and of course cipa doesn't publish the manual online, but I agree that there IS a way to increase the tension.  I believe you actually open up the clamp to do so (I have a hazy memory of a black and white photocopied manual that came with the bracket that explained how to do it). It's not the set screw for the clamp itself... there's another bolt that you tighten.  I seem to remember this because there ends up being a bit of a fine line between "tight enough to stay up" and "loose enough to fold down when you open the clamp".

Prolly if you take the clamp off and start taking it apart the "how" will reveal itself.  Or you will decide that it's a complete POS and throw it in the garbage.  But my bet is on the former.

Edited by shawndoggy

^^^^^ Exactly what SD just said.  

I didn't have to adjust mine, but it *does* have an adjustment.  Once you get it right, you won't have to mess with it again.