Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cipa 180 Mirror Pics

ahopkins22LSV

ahopkins22LSV

Does anyone have pictures of the mirror out on the water? I am ready to order it, just want to see some pics on the lake. I did a search but couldn't find anything in the 15 minutes I looked.

TIA!

I don't have pics, but it was one of the best purchases I have made for the boat. I took the OEM mirror off of its bar mount and left the bar in place to open and close the walk thru window. I did replace the plastic wing knobs holding the bar on with 1/4 x 20 SS button head Allen screws for a finished look.

Have you had a look at the PTM140, I can't speak on behalf of the Cipa, but I'm absolutely

blown away with my PTM. Was a recommendation by AirJunky,

Here's a pic, not on the water but gives a good perspective of angle.

Edit: Forgot to add, the mirror is crystal clear and supper sharp.

post-20239-0-37765400-1437487824_thumb.j

Edited by Dare2goBare
  • Like 2

The PTM is no doubt a great mirror. $200 (for the plastic back one) great? That is the question. The Cipa 180 can be had for $55, and is worth every penny. I've used both, and I wouldn't spend the extra coin on the PTM.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

Yeah, I have used the PTM on others boats and it is without question awesome. But for 300 with the windshield mount compared to 150 for the Cipa setup I can't bring myself to spend twice the amount. Figured I would ask for pics on the water though...

Yeah, I have used the PTM on others boats and it is without question awesome. But for 300 with the windshield mount compared to 150 for the Cipa setup I can't bring myself to spend twice the amount. Figured I would ask for pics on the water though...

Ya I can relate. . $$$, don't ask about the Malibu pylon cup holder... lol...lol...

ahopkins22LSV

Thing I can't figure out is why Cipa doesn't make a mount for the 180 that mounts to the factory style bar.

I would be buying the windshield clamp regardless. I am not a fan of where my factory mount is placed on the center window. It gets used and abused there and there is little to no support on the frame. The frame has been wiggled so much it has actually stripped the top two screws so now it is loose.

To be clear, I am not entirely sure what happened to the frame. Could have got leaned on wrong and that's what did it. But none the less, I don't want the mirror mounted there.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

I would be buying the windshield clamp regardless. I am not a fan of where my factory mount is placed on the center window. It gets used and abused there and there is little to no support on the frame. The frame has been wiggled so much it has actually stripped the top two screws so now it is loose.

To be clear, I am not entirely sure what happened to the frame. Could have got leaned on wrong and that's what did it. But none the less, I don't want the mirror mounted there.

Funny you say that, the hinge pins in mine are loose and rattle. Keep meaning to remember to find some new hinges or try to crimp the barrels a little. I just can't stand having the mirror anywhere but dead center and as low as possible, seems to be blocking too much anywhere else

I was going to post this picture in another thread but never got it posted. This is the only thing I don't like about the cipa windshield mount. It doesn't clamp on my windshield with the provided rubber pads that come with it. There was an extra one in the box and I tried to switch them around to make them work, I ordered a new thicker one directly from cipa and it still didn't work. My resolution was to open the clamp all my he way and slide one of the extra rubber pads on there and wrench it down. I worry about this because it clamped more on the glass than the windshield frame. It works well for now and looks ok. The plastic case on the mirror is kind of cheap feeling but the glass and field of view are excellent. Sorry no pics of rider or on the water.

image_22.jpg

Edited by isellacuras

would anyone be so kind as to show pictures of the BACK of the Cipa 180

want to see how it mounts and how I might be able to adapt it to my tower mounted brackets

would anyone be so kind as to show pictures of the BACK of the Cipa 180

want to see how it mounts and how I might be able to adapt it to my tower mounted brackets

You can see a picture of the back here, mounts in the same way a PTM does

http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-01600-Vision-180°-Mirror/dp/B00C9V1RJG

CIP%2001600-300x300.jpg

Edited by oldjeep

Do you mean with a rider in tow? This is the closest I have from earlier this week. I can tell you that the rider looks small in the CIPA 180 and it's difficult to tell if they are signaling you for something. Much smaller reflection than the stock mirror but great field of view.

post-21670-0-93874200-1437582452_thumb.j

• Like 1

Curious where everyone is mounting their CIPA 180, on the walkthrough window or the driver's side windshield? My only beef with the walkthrough location is when the walkthrough is in the open position the mirror needs to be adjusted so to not hit the passenger side windshield. My thoughts are that eventually someone will open it and it could result in something getting scratched or worse, broken.

ahopkins22LSV

Curious where everyone is mounting their CIPA 180, on the walkthrough window or the driver's side windshield? My only beef with the walkthrough location is when the walkthrough is in the open position the mirror needs to be adjusted so to not hit the passenger side windshield. My thoughts are that eventually someone will open it and it could result in something getting scratched or worse, broken.

I will be mounting mine on the drivers side. See my post above for why... basically your concerns played out.

I have mine on the driver window. I like it as far over to the left as possible but keep it to the right enough so it doesn't get knocked around by people moving up to the bow. My mount sits 6-7" from the left side of drivers windshield.