Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Soulcraft

Chrisjjbrown

13 hours ago, IXFE said:

I would be remiss if I did give he HUGE thank you to Skurfer.  I really am grateful to have this gem home with me.  Let's hit the water soon, B!

For sure! We can get Bryan and Mike too.. Will be fun!

16 hours ago, IXFE said:

Picked her up today...

BA39F94D-CD0E-415B-B931-5EDF492FEC43_zps

BDCFE1DA-F574-443F-A2AB-9C296077D2EB_zps

What pads are those? If not his standard pads what made you go with those?

7 minutes ago, ndahlberg12 said:

What pads are those? If not his standard pads what made you go with those?

Those are the same pads that came on mine, so I think they are his standard pads

14 hours ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

Mason 

how does that phase 5 compare to your soul craft.  

I'll find out in the coming weeks. I rode the P5 once, back in the Fall and was impressed. I can't wait to ride them back to back to truly see / feel the difference. I'll make sure to report back my findings!

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On March 10, 2016 at 9:28 AM, UpperleftWake said:

I'll find out in the coming weeks. I rode the P5 once, back in the Fall and was impressed. I can't wait to ride them back to back to truly see / feel the difference. I'll make sure to report back my findings!

What were your thoughts on these two boards? Would love to read the feedback. 

1 hour ago, Josh4mc said:

What were your thoughts on these two boards? Would love to read the feedback. 

Honestly, I love both. P5 feels like a much more solid built board than the Soulcraft but performance is neck and neck. I ride the P5 a lot more than the Soulcraft because that's what we carry and is what is in our office, but there is definitely something to be said with a Soulcraft product. You can't go wrong with either, but for me i'll stick to riding the P5 a lil' bit more this summer.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The Honu now belongs to Ryan P...and I got a Phase 5 Hammerhead to replace it. Since getting my Soulcraft HC Pro, I didn't ride the Honu any more. The Phase 5 Hammerhead is full on skim style...which is what I wanted. It is an absolute circus to ride. Isn't as fast as the soulcraft, and can't fall back as far in the wave, but it is the loosest, craziest board. It feels like I am at a dance party when I am riding it (such a weird analogy). So much fun to ride. It is just nice to mix it up and go surf style with the HC Pro, or skim style with the Hammerhead.

• Like 3

^^^ +1 I love to switch from my fang tail to my victoria factor mid set.  Like going from a train on rails to a camaro with bald tires after an ice storm.

• Like 2

@DarkSide How much does your son weigh?

@Anderson24 Custom 4'7" HC Pro is what Jeff recommended to me at 215lbs. For the most part I'm narrowing in on custom and the P 5 hammerhead. I already have a Vic Factor. Would the P 5 be too similar? Are 3s, airs, shiv-its possible on the Soulcraft? 

Also talked to Nick at Chaos. He said to look at the Pro, Team Pro, and Pocket Rocket in 4'8".

35 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Like going from a train on rails to a camaro with bald tires after an ice storm.

That analogy fits a little more than my "dance party on a board" analogy. 

Just now, Josh4mc said:

@Anderson24 Custom 4'7" HC Pro is what Jeff recommended to me at 215lbs. For the most part I'm narrowing in on custom and the P 5 hammerhead. I already have a Vic Factor. Would the P 5 be too similar? Are 3s, airs, shiv-its possible on the Soulcraft? 

Also talked to Nick at Chaos. He said to look at the Pro, Team Pro, and Pocket Rocket in 4'8".

Disclaimer: I suck.

I have never ridden a Victoria Factor so I can't compare to the Hammerhead. When I try to do a 360 on the hammerhead, I can't stop spinning. I am actually closer to landing a 720 than a 360. Again, I suck. But I will refer to my previous analogy...it is a dance party on a board. So much fun because it is so loose.

Jeff recommended a 5'2" HC Pro for me, I am also 215lbs but 6'7". I assume he recommended the extra length for my width of stance. 3's are possible on the Soulcraft, I have achieved it successfully once, so I know it is possible. Airs...also a YES as I have witnessed others obtaining this so-called "air". Shuv-its...that is just way out of my league, I am sure someone can do a shuv-it with one, but I couldn't tell you how easy or hard it is.

@Josh4mc Josh is  6' 1" and 160.   I am 275 (before lunch), I can ride the standard 4' 8" boards they just require a little more work.  The thicker 4' 10" is the sweet spot.

As for 360's honestly I have never attempted one.   Airs, that is what I am working on, I can Ollie the board easily, just getting my big a$$ airborne is a challenge.  I can get baby airs, but still working.  For me the biggest difference, again due to my "mass", is the ability to recover from further back, I legitimately gained 5' of wave length, over my Ronix Powertail.

4 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

@Josh4mc Josh is  6' 1" and 160.   I am 275 (before lunch), I can ride the standard 4' 8" boards they just require a little more work.  The thicker 4' 10" is the sweet spot.

As for 360's honestly I have never attempted one.   Airs, that is what I am working on, I can Ollie the board easily, just getting my big a$$ airborne is a challenge.  I can get baby airs, but still working.  For me the biggest difference, again due to my "mass", is the ability to recover from further back, I legitimately gained 5' of wave length, over my Ronix Powertail.

At 260 (after a colonoscopy :lol:), I was looking for a board that gave me a little more wave and speed than my HL Shim.  Darkside may have just sealed it for me.  The 4'10" HC Pro was what was recommended.

@pauley71

My son's normal board was the 4' 7" Shim :-) 

He doesn't even take it to the lake anymore. When we were on vacation he started riding mine, he has ridden a few other SC over the past couple weeks. He settled in on the "secret weapon" in a 4' 7".   He is getting artwork so it will take a few weeks to come in.

Moving from the shim to a Soulcraft, is going to be night and day. 

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 2
31 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I love my HC Pro.  I pretty much think about it (and my wave) all the day long.

That is all...

4A802FE2-2D3D-4110-97DA-0616EB5F51F9_zps

You have a problem my friend!  Surfitus, the only cure is an intervention!  You need to have your friends and family members, drive for you until you can stand no more!  Do this for 7 days straight, if this does not help.  Sell your boat! (But order a new one, in the fall)

Enjoy your vacation!

• Like 3