Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 MXZ Surf Wake

MalibuLou

That is a good point. On my 2013 I will have to look at the "wake size" graphic and see what happens as I go upwards a little at a time. I have not been doing that. The control of the wedge on my 2013 model is not as accurate as the control of the PW2 on the 2015 models. I am going to do some tests with the wedge this weekend. If it does not work to try to make small adjustments, I will just leave it all the way up or all the way down.

The speed we are using right now is 10.8 mph. I couple of weeks ago I added GPS cruise to my boat. The paddle wheel as too inaccurate! Now I know the true speed of the boat and the GPS cruise holds the speed much, much better.

So try this cause I had a hell of a time with the wedge at first. Watch that gauge and hold on the up button for the wedge, just pushing up does nothing. So hold it for a second or two and see how much it moves. You just have to get used to how long to hold it to get it to move each notch. And if you are going to bring the wedge up you'll need to go a little faster to clean up the lip.

I agree the paddle wheel sucks!! How much was the gps option?

I went through several bag revisions. IF surfing is your true passion, i would suggest custom sacs. Wakemakers is great, however they are so backlogged, it will be November before you get your bags. The other option is going directly to fly high. They are $25 more per sac but you get them in a couple weeks vs. A couple months. I would not buy 550's as you will likely want to upgrade to 750's. 750's are good but you will possibly want to upgrade to 1100's, then knowing the 1100's only fill to ~900ish you upgrade AGAIN to custom sacs ~1200 per side, perfect fit.

Also, if you leave your PNP bags in 100% of the time like i do. Vent the hard tank into the bag, and the bag to the thru hull. This forces the bag to drain first as hard tank can't get air from the outside. Makes PNP drain faster, and detains bags pancake flat.

Thanks for this - very helpful.

Follow-up question - when you say 'vent the hard tank into the bag' -> do you mean to take the overflow tube from the hard tank (not the tube that comes from the drain pump that comes on when you 'Drain' the tank on the rear bag) and connect it into the bag? Would I connect from the hard tank to the Drain port on the bag, then have the other drain port go to the hull drain? Or, connect from the hard tank vent into the Fill port on the bag?

It does take a while to drain my bags and with all the kinking that happened, it can get worse. I've since fixed the kink and put a PVC pipe around the oustide of the hose in the rear to keep it from kinking. So far, so good. Probably going with Custom WakeMaker bags - just need to get on the phone with them.

Here's the video. Sorry it's a short clip, hopefully the resolution didn't change when I uploaded

http://vid1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd380/stubb21/80FB42D3-09BF-4A40-876F-89B62C5AA50B.mp4

Thanks for posting the video.

It seems to me that my 20 MXZ wave is very similar to yours. So your video is helpful to me. I guess my wave is about as good as I can get without adding bags in the boat itself and I don't really want to do that; not ruling it out completely, but prefer not to deal with it.

Follow-up question - when you say 'vent the hard tank into the bag' -> do you mean to take the overflow tube from the hard tank (not the tube that comes from the drain pump that comes on when you 'Drain' the tank on the rear bag) and connect it into the bag? Would I connect from the hard tank to the Drain port on the bag, then have the other drain port go to the hull drain? Or, connect from the hard tank vent into the Fill port on the bag?

It does take a while to drain my bags and with all the kinking that happened, it can get worse. I've since fixed the kink and put a PVC pipe around the oustide of the hose in the rear to keep it from kinking. So far, so good. Probably going with Custom WakeMaker bags - just need to get on the phone with them.

The hard tank has 2 gravity ports that connect to the PNP bag. Then there is also a vent, that goes to the thru hull. Move the connection at the thru hull. Connecting the bag to the thru hull and the hard tank to the bag. This turns the gravity drains into "straws", forcing the water out of the bag first, because the hard tank cannot get access to air directly.