Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Calling 2015 22VLX owners...Diamond Hull for surfing?!

fishandsurf

I would bring no less than a 750 for each rear locker and another 600 in the bow. Fill all hard tanks, wedge 2-3 clicks up at 10.8 mph.

I've gotta ride behind a new VLX one of these days. That recipe on an LSV would be a disaster... a mushy hip high wave about 2 board lengths long.

I've gotta ride behind a new VLX one of these days. That recipe on an LSV would be a disaster... a mushy hip high wave about 2 board lengths long.

Disaster? What is the lsv calling for? He could go with 800's in the locker and a larger bow bag. I doubt the wave would change that much, far better than the 550's malibu offers. Speed is subjective, this is where we ride at it and it seems to work for us.

Side note... I refuse to put ballast bags in the bow of new boat. I'll stash some weights where I can, I am done messing with additional bags. Sounds stupid... but whole point is to not have to monkey around with it... when we have extra friends they can go up front to help us out. Are my expectations unrealistic?

Side note... I refuse to put ballast bags in the bow of new boat. I'll stash some weights where I can, I am done messing with additional bags. Sounds stupid... but whole point is to not have to monkey around with it... when we have extra friends they can go up front to help us out. Are my expectations unrealistic?

Just realize that not putting a bag up there will limit your wake. Friends up there really aren't enough weight to get a great wave out of this boat. It loves bow weight. I'm not sure what your expectations are, but if you want the best wave the boat can produce you're going to have to sack up the bow

Do you guys with diamond hulls have any pics of your wake? What's your recipe? Took a ride again today. Full factory ballast: bow, midship and both sides plus PNP #400 in each side. 300 lbs of people in the bow, driver and observer both about 200lbs each. 10.2-10.8 played with wedge 2-3 clicks. Wake was just ok, little bit of room to play but more work then I expected...nothing like in the Malibu videos or user videos I have seen online... I am open to suggestions, giving it one more try on Sunday. Maybe my expectations of a nice wave with just the wife and kids with factory ballast is unrealistic? I hope not, the Supra I demo'd today put out a way nicer wave with a lightweight driver and observer and no extra weight...

My vote is you need more weight in the lockers and bow weight, 400 lbs in each locker won't do it. As I mentioned 750 minimum, you need to sink that transom to dig in a bit more. Why is your dealer running 400 lb pnp bags? not sure what they are thinking. I have never been in a diamond hull vlx but my guess is you just don't have enough weight in the boat. Also try speeding up to 11.2-11.4 if you want to lengthen the pocket a little.

Edited by Fman

The answer you all have been waiting for (but most of you already knew the answer)... no obvious difference in the surf wake of diamond vs wake hulls. I tried them both again, factory ballast, 550 pnp in the rears, 2-3 clicks up @ 10.4 mph = a very nice wave to start playing with! Bought the diamond hull today and surfed till my legs gave out, awesome day. Now... gotta figure out how to post pics!!

• Like 2

I hear that voice in my head already... MORE WEIGHT!!!! lol. Any recommendations on lead bags or other options to stash weight upfront to offset bigger rear bags? I also don't want to loose use of the rear bins...yet... so I may stash some lead bags in the aft corners too? Thoughts?

The wakemakers 820's are great and they are custom fit for the vlx. It allows you to retain the rear trays and comes with 2 1" drain and fill ports for pnp. Highly recommend them....

The answer you all have been waiting for (but most of you already knew the answer)... no obvious difference in the surf wake of diamond vs wake hulls. I tried them both again, factory ballast, 550 pnp in the rears, 2-3 clicks up @ 10.4 mph = a very nice wave to start playing with! Bought the diamond hull today and surfed till my legs gave out, awesome day. Now... gotta figure out how to post pics!!

Congratulations on the new purchase!

^^^ hey, that's my setup right there :-) maybe I am not far off from a good wave, I really have nothing to compare it to. Mason you would know, seeing as you get behind a lot of different boats.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 1

I hear that voice in my head already... MORE WEIGHT!!!! lol. Any recommendations on lead bags or other options to stash weight upfront to offset bigger rear bags? I also don't want to loose use of the rear bins...yet... so I may stash some lead bags in the aft corners too? Thoughts?

I have the Wakemakers 820lb rear locker bags as well but have found that if I only fill them about 3/4 when surfing without a bow sac, the wave is actually surprisingly good. 1 click from "Lift" or even on the "Lift" @ 11.0 mph for me, otherwise it's a bit steep for my liking. When I have time to fill the bow sack, I have had better luck with the 950lb Ronix bow sack lengthening the wake than with the 600lb bow sack. I'm still dialing in the wake so may have to try some of the other suggestions like Mason's.

Any skiiers out there trying the new VLX diamond hull vs the previous -09-13's .

My old boat was a '10 diamond hull VLX. That had a better ski wake but I have found that filling the front tank 100% with the '15 diamond hull VLX makes it doable for recreational slalom skiing at 30mph. However, you have to be flexible with your rope length to find the easiest place to cross the wake. For another comparison, the ski wake behind my current boat is very similar to the ski wake of my friend's '12 diamond hull LSV.

ahopkins22LSV

Congrats and very awesome! Why haven't we seen pictures of the boat??

I would love to post some... can't figure it out?!!! Do I need to add to a gallery or my media first? I used to think I was kind of smart...