Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Calling 2015 22VLX owners...Diamond Hull for surfing?!

fishandsurf

Quick update for EVERYONE! So got out on the water with just wife and kids, lightest load yet, expected a smaller wave but man...surf wave wasn't great... (test drives we had 200-300#s of people in the bow)... I'm like WTF...started test pumps, noticed the front pump wasn't turning on even though the display showed it was filling...GRRRR... call dealer, call Mallibu, search forums... trouble shooting pumps...dealer tech calls me back... turns out THERE WAS NO FUSE IN THE BOX FOR THE FRONT/BOW TANK.... IT WAS NEVER FILLED!!! Popped a fuse in and holy cow, what a difference in the wave (duh). I'm not sure if I am really ticked off at the hours and HOURS wasted comparing wake hull vs diamond hull and then trouble troubleshooting the pump, or if I am thrilled...lol. Ok... I'm thrilled.

• 4 weeks later...

Need help choosing between 2013-14 21.6 Malibu VLX and 2015 22 VLX with diamond hull. I currently have a 2010 21.6 VLX with Diamond Hull which has been a great crossover boat and entry into the sport of wake surfing. Every one loves the surfing and we now spend the lion's share of lake time wake surfing. Now we want to upgrade our surfing wake and add Surf Gate and the new Power Wedge II. However, I still like to do recreational slalom when the water gets glassy and wonder if I will notice a noticeably bigger slalom wake if we transition to the larger 22 VLX. I'm not going to be running any courses, but do expect to be able to hold a cut across the wake. The dealer is offering an attractive end of season discount on a 2015 22 VLX with a diamond hull which makes moving up to the newer boat tempting.

Also what is everyone's experience with the under seat removable igloo cooler? is it big enough to hold food and drink for a day on the lake?

Need help choosing between 2013-14 21.6 Malibu VLX and 2015 22 VLX with diamond hull. I currently have a 2010 21.6 VLX with Diamond Hull which has been a great crossover boat and entry into the sport of wake surfing. Every one loves the surfing and we now spend the lion's share of lake time wake surfing. Now we want to upgrade our surfing wake and add Surf Gate and the new Power Wedge II. However, I still like to do recreational slalom when the water gets glassy and wonder if I will notice a noticeably bigger slalom wake if we transition to the larger 22 VLX. I'm not going to be running any courses, but do expect to be able to hold a cut across the wake. The dealer is offering an attractive end of season discount on a 2015 22 VLX with a diamond hull which makes moving up to the newer boat tempting.

Also what is everyone's experience with the under seat removable igloo cooler? is it big enough to hold food and drink for a day on the lake?

Since the boat is in stock, why not take it for a spin and see how that slalom wake stacks up to your current VLX Diamond?

My guess is that you won't notice a huge difference, and even if you do you'll LOVE the rest of the boat so much you won't even care! Haha!!

As for the cooler, I have the LSV cooler (bigger) and it's big enough for drinks and snacks (e.g. string cheese), but not everybody's lunch.

Here's a pic of the smaller VLX cooler:

20140808_132511_zpsvoikw913.jpg

I thought a lot about the 21.6 as well, it was anywhere from 10k-20k cheaper than a 2105 depending on the options, I went with 2015 for the following reasons:

Bigger boat - I had a 2010 Ride that was practically the same layout, wanted something with a little more room, 6" of length and 2" of width make a differnece

Better storage - it's a deeper boat, lot more storage under the seats and port console

Nicer Cooler - The bag cooler is kind of a low tech solution in my opinion, the igloo much nicer. Plenty of room for drinks (especially if you load up cupholders with frozen water bottles or beverages) We bring seperate bag for food/snacks

Transom Seating - Nice for the swim cove, teaching surfers, extra storage space

New Touchscreen - The new system is awesome, very happy with it, far superior to the 2014, I have used both

G4 Tower - Lot's of discussion on this topic that may or may no apply to you, I'd be happy with a G3, no doubt, just wanted a little different look

I'll see if I can post some slalom wave pics to you, or PM and I'll text them, kind of painful getting pics on this site. I would drive them both, it will quickly decide for you if it's worth the extra money to you.

I have the 22 VLX with the diamond hull and love it! We surf, wakeboard, and slalom ski behind it. I am not very good, but I have no issues holding a cut across the wake. I go out for just some nice turns. At my speed there is not bad at all. My kids go slower and the wake is definitely bigger but they still get through the wake.

The bigger size is nice and roomy. Noticeably bigger in all aspects.

As for the cooler? I don't even use it. It really isn't big enough for much of anything. I bought a soft-sided cooler so there was less opportunity to scratch, rip, or tear something. We just leave the cooler against the seats. Someone is always in getting a drink or snack, and it is inconvenient to always have to open the seat to access it.

If you pull the trigger you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the quick replies!!

I wish I could take it out for a trial run, but our local dealers are out of 2015s and we would have to drive to Texas to try this one out! I think the 2015 slalom wake will be fine for my level skiing; the dealer swears it is equivalent or better than the older boat with its broader beam offsetting its greater weight. And for all the above listed advantages with the new 2015 boat, I don't think I will even care!

The AO 48 cooler sounds like a perfect solution; where do you find them? The Igloo looks even smaller than I anticipated; what a disappointment. I wonder if you can just Ice down the whole self draining bin like we do in our 2010 VLX??

If you have any slalom wake pictures, feel free to email them if it is easier:

[email protected]

Thanks for the input.

Since the boat is in stock, why not take it for a spin and see how that slalom wake stacks up to your current VLX Diamond?

My guess is that you won't notice a huge difference, and even if you do you'll LOVE the rest of the boat so much you won't even care! Haha!!

As for the cooler, I have the LSV cooler (bigger) and it's big enough for drinks and snacks (e.g. string cheese), but not everybody's lunch.

Here's a pic of the smaller VLX cooler:

20140808_132511_zpsvoikw913.jpg

Should be a YETI

Thanks for the quick replies!!

I wish I could take it out for a trial run, but our local dealers are out of 2015s and we would have to drive to Texas to try this one out! I think the 2015 slalom wake will be fine for my level skiing; the dealer swears it is equivalent or better than the older boat with its broader beam offsetting its greater weight. And for all the above listed advantages with the new 2015 boat, I don't think I will even care!

The AO 48 cooler sounds like a perfect solution; where do you find them? The Igloo looks even smaller than I anticipated; what a disappointment. I wonder if you can just Ice down the whole self draining bin like we do in our 2010 VLX??

If you have any slalom wake pictures, feel free to email them if it is easier:

[email protected]

Thanks for the input.

The slalom wake in my 22vlx with wake hull imo is pretty crappy. I pulled someone at 32 mph and it was not an easy wake to go across on a slalom ski. Hopefully the diamond hull will be an improvement from wake hull. I thought my 2013 had a better slalom wake.

Diamond hull seems like a winner for everyone. I can't see the wakeboard wake holding back anyone either, huge airs better then the 2010 wake setter/v ride and mastercraftX2s I have ridden behind. Malibu says you need to be a pretty advanced/pro level wakeboarder to benefit and appreciate the wake hull vs a diamond hull. Diamond hull gives you everything, plus ability to barefoot/slalom (at a recreational level at least)

Edited by fishandsurf