Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G4 Tower?

Sride

I like vibrant colors Afun finds. Would i buy one no. That doesn't mean i don't like it. It would suck if all the boats looked the same. Red white and blue, how can you not like that!

• Like 3

I like vibrant colors Afun finds. Would i buy one no. That doesn't mean i don't like it. It would suck if all the boats looked the same. Red white and blue, how can you not like that!

That red killed it for me, what a strange color combo...I have a feeling that boat will be available this fall for a great price if you can live with that color combo.

That red killed it for me, what a strange color combo...I have a feeling that boat will be available this fall for a great price if you can live with that color combo.

I was going to say that you could always get a wrap with the money you saved.....buuuuut the trailer is blue and the tower is red. Looks like even a wrap can't fix that ugly duckling.

I was going to say that you could always get a wrap with the money you saved.....buuuuut the trailer is blue and the tower is red. Looks like even a wrap can't fix that ugly duckling.

I enjoy seeing different looking boats. My new Malibu dealer ordered a Platinum and Purple Accents....real nice! Getting tired of the usual colors....you know what I mean. Black and White, Blue and White, Red and Grey....most of the Malibu's on the water look the same.

The G4 tower was designed by PTM. It is also manufactured by PTM. In other words, PTM is the supplier to Malibu. The G4 is not an in-house design or build like the G3 is.

I have talked to the owner of PTM on this topic at length... there is over 5,000 hours of engineering in the design of that tower alone. I own one and I've taken it apart. Until you do that, I don't think you can appreciate the strength, the elegance, or the expense built into this tower.

Some of the nice features of the G4 vs. the G3...

• The G4 has a far superior and easier to operate locking mechanism to the G3 and the G3.2
  • The G4 folds and raises easily with one person... not need to "preload" it to take pressure off. Just flip the handles and push it down or raise it up.
  • The G4 folds down much lower for easier clearance... it goes all the way down below the windshield and doesn't rest on anything (dash, steering wheel, etc.).
  • The G4 locks in the down position which makes towing in the down position possible.
  • The G4 has forward facing LED lights built into the tower for night time
  • The G4 also has downward firing LED lights into the cabin
  • In 2016 the G4 comes standard with the PTM clamping racks

I don't care what anybody says, the G4 is a superior tower to the G3 from a strength and functionality perspective. This shouldn't be a debate. We can argue aesthetics all day long. Obviously I think it looks better too, especially on the newer boat designs, or I wouldn't have ordered it.

If you want to see what the tower looks like on the inside, take a look at the pics below. The entire tower is CNC machined out of solid aluminum. There are over 50 hex bolts holding the various panels together... each one torqued to 30lbs. When you remove a panel, you learn very quickly how heavy this tower is... each panel is heavy!!

20150218_204645_zpswwcidtpd.jpg

20150218_210115_zps7kzd5kzv.jpg

20150218_220857_zpshk4b3xz4.jpg

20150218_214718_zpsxmpdz5z5.jpg

Cue the G4 haters in 3,2,1.....

When the G3 came out, my first impression was that I didnt like it, but it did grow to my liking it. When I first saw the G4 on these boards (white G4 on VLX), I loved it. That is why I got the G4 on my LSV. After using it, I am really happy with the tower itself. The bimini on this tower is so much better and easier to setup than on our titan 2 tower.

I have two dislikes, which I think echos a lot of other G4 owners. The bimini cover zipper is weak, and I am sure it will need to be replaced at sometime. Also the just the cost of the PTM racks. I would love to add another set, but at that the price Malibu asks for them, it is unreasonable IMHO.

I am very happy with the G4 tower. I was initially concerned that the large bases would obstruct the view out the side for observers. No one has voiced that complaint--it has been a nonissue. The tower is super quiet--no rattles on the water.

There are three current issues I see with the G4 tower:

1) Can't collapse tower with bimini (this should be solved very soon with a new pivoting mount bracket)

2) The anchor light is a 12" stick that has to be inserted and removed from a mounting base on the tower. Malibu did this to get the light up high enough to clear the Z5 cargo bimini. I replaced the stick with a permanent LED anchor light, I don't have the Z5 bimini--problem solved.

3) The three downward facing LED dome lights are wired to the interior lights. This was a bad choice cause there are times I want interior ambiance lighting, but not the dome lights shining down on me and vise versa. This was an easy fix. Turns out those dome lights are connected via a plug connector to the interior light wiring under the gunnel on the starboard side near the tower base and interior VLX logo above the cup-holders. I purchased a complementary plug on Amazon, mounted a switch in the cubby under & behind the throttle lever. I powered the switch directly off of the seat heater fuse (I didn't order the seat heater). I now have independent control of the tower dome lights. I can use those lights when putting the cover on at night (even though the dash is turned off). Once the cover is on, I reach my arm up under the cover and turn off the lights. Since the connection is a simple plug, it is easily reversible back to OEM configuration.

This is what happens when engineers don't talk to customers before designing a product.

I am an electrical engineer (by education) and a customer. I also talk to myself all the time... I feel I'm a good listener. Maybe Malibu should put me on the payroll. I'm willing to be paid in yearly boat leases.

• Like 3

I am an electrical engineer (by education) and a customer. I also talk to myself all the time... I feel I'm a good listener. Maybe Malibu should put me on the payroll. I'm willing to be paid in yearly boat leases.

You have to move to TN and deal with me all the time

Fair enough. Second question, we currently have a g3 tower that the kids love to swing from. For those that have a G4, do you think it is still swingable?

• 1 month later...

So this means Malibu needs to update their video now then right? They hit hard on their video that they design and manufacturer the towers in house so they can control the quality and supply.

Personally I still really like the looks of the G3 tower more than any other tower from any other brand and really like the functionality of it too. Would be cool to have the added lights but I can add all that some day if I really want them that bad.

Great post about the G4 tower though!