Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HPG Fuel Consumption 05 VLX

I can hit 50 easily, with some throttle left with smooth water and 2 people in the boat ( only times I've done it is with wife and I). I don't think both my regular and ECM speedos are off by 10 mph.....

Dontknow.gifArgue.gif

Care to make a friendly wager? Tongue.gif

06 VLX w/340 monsoon, nothing else special. Never looked at what the Rpms were doing, but the speedo was 51 when I backed her down.

Hey Muffin - maybe the laws of physics at your lake are different than the rest of the entire boating population? I'll pass on the bet...it'd be too easy, kind of like kicking a kid off of a tricycle.

get a hold of GPS and you'll see Surprised.gif

Edited by edwin

From the looks of some of the replys, my 50 mph isn't so rare after all. It's not that important to me to go buy a GPS, but it seems to too much variance between 43 and 51 to be inaccurate speedo. Are they just wrong at the high end, or when I'm wakeboarding at 22 is is really only 14?

Sounds like most of you were too soft on your boats during break-in and have ruined her for life Tomato.gifTease2.gif

Your 50 mph is a little off. Monsoon very little gas two people in the boat Gps'ed at 45.2, that was the best to date, but consistently around 44.2-44.6. Speedo has said as much as 55. Muffin a gps comes in handy more often than just WOT. I am willing to bet that most speedos from the factory are not accurate. Ours was off both the guage, anywhere from 2-8 mph off, and the PP speedo by 2 mph off at wakeboard speeds. Also anytime we pull anyone on a slalom or footing we use the gps for accuracy.

From the looks of some of the replys, my 50 mph isn't so rare after all. It's not that important to me to go buy a GPS, but it seems to too much variance between 43 and 51 to be inaccurate speedo. Are they just wrong at the high end, or when I'm wakeboarding at 22 is is really only 14?

Sounds like most of you were too soft on your boats during break-in and have ruined her for life Tomato.gifTease2.gif

It isn't a linear gap between reality and indicated. It will be a little off at the slower speeds, and get further and further off the faster you go. No way you're doin' 50 with the monsoon. You'd have to really prop-up to get her to go that fast, and the monsoon doesn't have enough oomph to get close to the rev limiter with the lager props (like the 381 or bigger)

Keep speaking that nonsense and we're gonna have a bet for an ice cold 40oz Colt 45 set up in no time. You've been warned....

If you calibrate it to be correct at 20, it will be very incorrect at WOT. Our Hammerhead indicates well over 50mph, but gps indicates 47mph at elevation. NWIH you're getting that kind of speed out of the same boat with a Monsoon. I don't need to place a bet on that, I've driven one with a Monsoon & it's measurably slower than my boat.

It isn't a linear gap between reality and indicated. It will be a little off at the slower speeds, and get further and further off the faster you go. No way you're doin' 50 with the monsoon. You'd have to really prop-up to get her to go that fast, and the monsoon doesn't have enough oomph to get close to the rev limiter with the lager props (like the 381 or bigger)

Exactly.

I brought out a radar on my 05 monsoon vlx over the weekend to calibrate the pp and speedo. Found the pp on the money and the speedo off 2 mph fast at 22. Boat topped out at 45, no wind or current in decent water.